WHYnow

Sign Petition to stop Calling Foreigners as Aliens in USA

78 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Bob in Boston said:

We don't need a politically correct name change Petition. There are bigger fish to fry such as the issue yourself brought up. Changing the name may sooth your hurt feelings but it will do nothing to speed up cases. Waste of time and money IMHO. 

My quote you are referring to is rhetorical statement, which means as Alien you must accept backlog, delayed and other condition either you are okay with it or not.

There is a Bill on this and Millions of people has also called to removed allien which is dehumanizing word from government document ''going forward'' not already issued ID and the rest. 

Let us not dragged issue this way, if you are not interested in participating in the petition, just ignored my post and let those interest do. My petition or action might not change anything but can actually have impact in a long run. 

Thanks    

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
16 hours ago, Ola MK said:

Dear All, 

We have file a petition that need to address the issue of calling foreigners as Aliens in United States. 

This has been used for a long time and almost everyone is not happy to be called ''Aliens'' and I think this need to stop, especially now that there is new government that respect dignity of all human being. Your part and mine is to sign this petition link below so we can push this change for generation to come. 

Thank you.

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/485/917/361/alien-end-the-word-in-united-states/

Note: Admin - Please you know the category this can be to boost our motives, appreciate your support to move/repost it if necessary. (Thank you) 

I appreciate you are trying, but why not a bill or petition to reduce the year long waits to get a GC interview, or ROC, etc?

Honestly I don't think it matters much. I don't feel offended by it. Just look at the refugee crisis in Europe caused by the wars in Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. The news labeled them "migrants" instead of refugees. Do you want to be called migrant? Is it better than resident alien?

Changing a wording on a card or documentation that a typical american knows NOTHING about it won't change anything. Y

You are still going to be an alien, immigrant, etc and face the same discrimination if you are unlucky as before. Nobody uses the term resident alien when they try to discriminate against you, they will just call you illegal and threaten you with ICE. Also even if you become USC and you have an accent everybody will now that you are not from here, regardless what your status is. Just embrace it, it makes you unique, don't need to be assimilated. Do I work time to time on my pronunciation? Yes I do, BUT only to be able to express myself clearly to others and I am not trying to get rid of my accent. I think I am privileged because I am white and otherwise blend in and 100% for sure I had a way different immigration experience due to being white than others might had and I am not denying it, but feels like spending a bunch of money on semantics won't fix the underlying issue.

Edited by ineedadisplayname

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Alien means foreigner. It didn't start meaning creature from another planet until the SciFi movies of the 50s. Why not petition hollywood to stop using the word?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I remember when I had my student visa several years ago and everyone used to call me an alien and honestly it made me chuckle. The funniest was when I had to show my ID and the person viewing my ID would smile and say "ah, an alien". It's a running joke between me and my fiancé. Sometimes you've just gotta let some things go and laugh about them. I'd sooner USCIS use their already stretched time and clear the backlog quicker so I can be with my man.  

If this is the most important thing you find in life to complain about when it’s come to the immigration process, then you my friend have been living a good life 😂 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
5 hours ago, ra0010 said:

I mean, we are not USCs yet, so what should we be called in the meantime? Foreigners? Outsiders? I bet “still in the immigration process” doesn’t fit in the GC.

Don’t get me wrong, you do you. But a word doesn’t mean more than that. Plus, immigration is heavily backlogged. Can you imagine if we asked them to remove the word “alien” from their forms??!

They get paid the same whether they’re processing cases or typing memos

It's interesting that the OP doesn't like the word 'alien', but uses the term 'foreigner' instead. Generally when racists are offensive about immigrants, 'foreigner' is the word they use, both here in the US and in my home country (UK)...I would place a healthy bet that throughout the world, there are FAR more negative connotations with that word.

Regardless, I have no objections to being an alien - and if that term is changed, then Sting's song is going to make zero sense...so for that reason, it's a no from me 🤷‍♀️😆.

Edited by Zoeeeeeee

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Petition to change the word "Alien"...Weird Al should add this to his song "First World Problems"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwvlbJ0h35A

https://www.google.com/search?q=weird+al+first+world+problems+lyrics&oq=weird+al+first+world+problems+lyrics

6 hours ago, Ola MK said:

My quote you are referring to is rhetorical statement, which means as Alien you must accept backlog, delayed and other condition either you are okay with it or not.

There is a Bill on this and Millions of people has also called to removed allien which is dehumanizing word from government document ''going forward'' not already issued ID and the rest. 

Let us not dragged issue this way, if you are not interested in participating in the petition, just ignored my post and let those interest do. My petition or action might not change anything but can actually have impact in a long run. 

Thanks    

The only thing alien to me is someone who wants to have a life in the US but offended by such a small thing, I was an Alien for years and never thought about the word once, 

1 hour ago, dbLA said:

The only thing alien to me is someone who wants to have a life in the US but offended by such a small thing, I was an Alien for years and never thought about the word once, 

Not everyone want to have life in US to be called slave or Alien, it was a lot of sacrificed I made before leaving behind for love, such as many people as well. Again those Senators, REP that has forwarded a Bill to remove that word - I'm sure their senses is probably working like me too. 

Edited by Ola MK

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.