Mark11

My Wife (Brazilian immigrant) died from Covid during AOS -- how do I withdraw the application?

53 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Dear Group,

I write with a very heavy heart.  My beloved wife came to the US on a K-1 visa in June 2020.  We married immediately and filed the whole I-485 packet including all the supporting forms and received the NOAs for all.  While waiting for the AOS interview, she died from covid and that has pretty much destroyed my life.  I called the USCIS hotline for advice on how best to withdraw the application, but they seemed very befuddled and recommended that I file form I-140 (which has nothing do with withdrawing a petition -- completely wrong) with the center that is handling my case.  They gave me an address based on my zip code, but I'm questioning if that's correct based on their recommendation of an incorrect form.

I just got notice yesterday that the AOS interview has been scheduled and a notice has been sent out.  Should I wait for this notice and then send a letter with a copy of the notice and death certificate to the address on the notice.  That seems to make the most sense.  Thank you for any advice.  Normally I would be able to figure this stuff out on my own (we got this far . . .), but my brain is very muddled these days.  My apologies.

Thank you,

Mark

My condolences for your loss. That is heartbreaking. 

Your proposed solution makes sense but let's wait for more experienced posters to chime in.

Please take care of yourself.

13 minutes ago, Mark11 said:

Dear Group,

I write with a very heavy heart.  My beloved wife came to the US on a K-1 visa in June 2020.  We married immediately and filed the whole I-485 packet including all the supporting forms and received the NOAs for all.  While waiting for the AOS interview, she died from covid and that has pretty much destroyed my life.  I called the USCIS hotline for advice on how best to withdraw the application, but they seemed very befuddled and recommended that I file form I-140 (which has nothing do with withdrawing a petition -- completely wrong) with the center that is handling my case.  They gave me an address based on my zip code, but I'm questioning if that's correct based on their recommendation of an incorrect form.

I just got notice yesterday that the AOS interview has been scheduled and a notice has been sent out.  Should I wait for this notice and then send a letter with a copy of the notice and death certificate to the address on the notice.  That seems to make the most sense.  Thank you for any advice.  Normally I would be able to figure this stuff out on my own (we got this far . . .), but my brain is very muddled these days.  My apologies.

Thank you,

Mark

Just wanted to chime in to express my deepest condolences. I'm so sorry. 😔 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

I’m so sorry for your loss. I hope you have a little comfort that you guys were able to be together for a bit. ❤️❤️

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Other than peace of mind, there is nothing you need to do, as the termination of the application will take care of itself.  You have many other more important things to worry about. 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Mark11 said:

@payxibka  Thank you for the advice, but USCIS has put in a lot a lot of time processing our application and it only feels fair to notify them that we cannot follow through. 

They have very little invested time.  Worry about the important things.  This will take care of itself.

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sorry to hear of your terrible loss. The lawyers over at avvo.com say just write a letter to withdraw the application and possibly include a copy of the I-797C.

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/how-to-withdraw-i-485-and-i-130-2325927.html

I am so sorry for what you’ve been through.  My sincerest condolences...  I wish I could do more for you.

ROC: 

12/30/2019 package sent to Texas Lockbox via USPS 

12/31/2019 package arrived at Texas Lockbox 

01/02/2020 package signed for

01/04/2020 $680 charged on credit card

01/06/2020 text message and email with case number received

01/09/2020 extension letter received; notice date: 01/03/2020

02/22/2020 biometrics appointment letter received 

03/06/2020 biometrics appointment 

08/09/2021 I-751 approved

08/16/2021 Green Card received

Naturalization:

12/29/2020 application filed online and receipt number received 

01/04/2021 hard copy NOA1 received 

02/27/2021 electronic biometric reuse letter received

09/19/2021 interview scheduled - electronic notice received 

09/27/2021 hard copy interview notice received (issue date: 09/21/2021)

10/27/2021 interview (10.40am), approved

11/06/2021 oath ceremony (7.30am) 

I AM A U.S. CITIZEN!!!!! 

Passport:

11/08/2021 appointment at USPS (2.00pm)

11/16/2021 money order cashed, passport “in process” (locator 69)

12/02/2021 approved and shipped

12/04/2021 passport book delivered

12/13/2021 passport card and NC delivered 

This is so sad, I am so sorry for your loss.

Contacting your local office once you have the interview notice makes sense; I'm they will be able to close the application. 

Please take care of yourself. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

This is so heartbreaking....  so sorry for your loss, it must be very difficult so I'm sending virtual hugs.  Sending a letter to USCIS may help you with the grieving process, a sense of closure in a way.  This virus is so sad the way it ends lives, my husband is in Brazil right now visiting his family for the first time since he came to the US nearly two years ago on a CR-1 visa, so your post hits very close to home and makes me worry even more.  Cling to the memories, photos, good times you had together, it doesn't make sense but you found each other and made it work for a time.  Her family must be devastated as well.  Sympathy and condolences don't seem to be enough.  Take care of yourself, best wishes.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

I am so very sorry for the  loss of your beautiful wife.  May she rest in peace.  

Joyce

2/10/04 - interview date!!!!!!!Got Visa!!!!

3/11/04 - Massimo arrived in USA...Hurray!!!

4/25/04 - Happily Married in New Jersey

5/12/04 - starting AOS papers

5/17/04 - Mailed I-485, 131, (certified mail) to Newark

7/12/04 - Biometrics for AOS done in NYC

2/1/05 - received interview letter for May 16, 2005

5/16/05 - Successful (and fast) AOS interview in Cherry Hill!!!

I751

3/1/07 - mailed I751 package to VSC - regular mail

3/7/07 - cashed 205.00 check

3/9/07 - cashed 70.00 biometrics check

3/16/07 - received blue receipt notice for biometrics fee

3/24/07 - received NOA extending GC for another year

3/24/07 - received Biometrics appointment letter

4/6/07 - Biometrics appointment in Newark at 9am

4/7/07 - touched

4/11/07 - touched

9/28/07 - email received...Card production ordered!

10/4/07 - received congratulations letter in the mail

10/09/07 - 10 year green card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.