Mark11

My Wife (Brazilian immigrant) died from Covid during AOS -- how do I withdraw the application?

53 posts in this topic

Sorry to hear about your loss. Condolences to you.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
13 hours ago, Mark11 said:

Dear Group,

I write with a very heavy heart.  My beloved wife came to the US on a K-1 visa in June 2020.  We married immediately and filed the whole I-485 packet including all the supporting forms and received the NOAs for all.  While waiting for the AOS interview, she died from covid and that has pretty much destroyed my life.  I called the USCIS hotline for advice on how best to withdraw the application, but they seemed very befuddled and recommended that I file form I-140 (which has nothing do with withdrawing a petition -- completely wrong) with the center that is handling my case.  They gave me an address based on my zip code, but I'm questioning if that's correct based on their recommendation of an incorrect form.

I just got notice yesterday that the AOS interview has been scheduled and a notice has been sent out.  Should I wait for this notice and then send a letter with a copy of the notice and death certificate to the address on the notice.  That seems to make the most sense.  Thank you for any advice.  Normally I would be able to figure this stuff out on my own (we got this far . . .), but my brain is very muddled these days.  My apologies.

Thank you,

Mark

I don't have much to add to what to do with USCIS, but I wanted to offer you my DEEPEST sympathies and healing vibes. I can't imagine the hurt you are going through with her just arriving.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

My deepest condolences Mark. I was a widow with my first husband and understand what you are feeling right now. Take one day at a time. The memories I had with my late husband is what kept me going. You have a beautiful angel watching over you. Sending prayers and hugs your way. 

16 hours ago, Mark11 said:

Should I wait for this notice and then send a letter with a copy of the notice and death certificate to the address on the notice.  That seems to make the most sense.  

I'm so sorry for your loss. 

The notice will have a section where you can reschedule. I would do as you already said and send them a copy of the death certificate. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
16 hours ago, Mark11 said:

Dear Group,

I write with a very heavy heart.  My beloved wife came to the US on a K-1 visa in June 2020.  We married immediately and filed the whole I-485 packet including all the supporting forms and received the NOAs for all.  While waiting for the AOS interview, she died from covid and that has pretty much destroyed my life.  I called the USCIS hotline for advice on how best to withdraw the application, but they seemed very befuddled and recommended that I file form I-140 (which has nothing do with withdrawing a petition -- completely wrong) with the center that is handling my case.  They gave me an address based on my zip code, but I'm questioning if that's correct based on their recommendation of an incorrect form.

I just got notice yesterday that the AOS interview has been scheduled and a notice has been sent out.  Should I wait for this notice and then send a letter with a copy of the notice and death certificate to the address on the notice.  That seems to make the most sense.  Thank you for any advice.  Normally I would be able to figure this stuff out on my own (we got this far . . .), but my brain is very muddled these days.  My apologies.

Thank you,

Mark

I'm so very sorry for your loss.  

When you receive death certificate, send it with interview letter to the USCIS office where interview was to take place.   Write a short explanation and include your phone number.

That's all you need to do when you feel up to it,  Even if its after the scheduled interview date.

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I am truly sorry for your loss. 

H1B: Feb 2001 (London)

L1A:  Jan 2014 (London)

AOS: May 24th 2016 - June 20th 2017

N400: March 23rd 2020 - June 29th 2021

Passport: July 1st 2021 - August 30th 2021

Social Security: July 1st 2021 - October 5th 2021

My sincerest condolence to you. My friend's grandfather passed away from covid in a matter of week a few months ago, and it pains me to see anyone going through this tragedy. 

You're right that the customer rep (tier 1) gave you completely wrong and irrelevant information - I140 is for employment based. Tier 1 agents are known to give out irresponsibly give out wrong information, so you can just ignore them what they told you. You can mail your USCIS field office that your interview notice indicated that you are withdrawing the AOS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Oh I am so so sorry to read this. You really are a wonderful person to try to do something for others in the middle of such a devastating time for yourself.

I agree with others in that this may help your grieving process. Do write a letter and send it over, as this may help future correspondence about her immigration to arrive to you at unexpected times. I lost a family member to COVID-19 a few months ago and I will share something that seemed to make sense. I hope it helps you too. I really am very, very sorry.

unnamed.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.