Esuroi

I need help with the K1 visa process!

44 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cyprus
Timeline
11 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Just keep in mind that everyone has different situations and preferences... for some K-1 works better, for others it's CR-1. We opted for a K-1 because it fits our needs and situation better. Plus due to travel restrictions and coronavirus, getting married is not so easy for some. Good luck and don't be discouraged! 

Thank you! How was your experience with filing the k1? If you don't mind, could you give me a run down on what steps you took and what you had to file? Since we might just be taking the k1 route (cause it's what we know best) could you possibly help us understand what we may need to do to get through the process more smoothly? 

8 minutes ago, Esuroi said:

Thank you! How was your experience with filing the k1? If you don't mind, could you give me a run down on what steps you took and what you had to file? Since we might just be taking the k1 route (cause it's what we know best) could you possibly help us understand what we may need to do to get through the process more smoothly? 

The process of assembling was pretty smooth for us. We assembled all the documents according to the VJ's Guides (great source): https://www.visajourney.com/guides/k1-fiance-visa/

We filled I-129f (triple check all the info you put), assembled evidence of meeting in the last 2 years on a Word doc (boarding passes, immigration stamps, photos, bank statements showing we were in one place at the same time), 2 letters of intent to marry (in which we briefly mentioned nature of our relationship and proposal date), passport photos from both of us, copy of my fiancé's' naturalization certificate and we also put together a cover letter that describes the contents of our application. That's about it :) hope this helps!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline
1 hour ago, In4theJourney said:

If I were you, I would be taking a close look at next week July 2  and august before I would submit anything. The USCIS is about to furlough 70% of its workforce if it doesn’t get bail out money from trump. I’m willing to bet, that will not happen. In my opinion, this could be a backlog of years, not the 4-7 months its taking USCIS to approve petitions right now. This is all the perfect storm just raining down in favor of anti legal  immigration crowd 

I'm going for the K-1 and am about to submit. I don't know if I could bear it if it comes to that. I wouldn't mind moving to Poland (I love it there), but I don't have the means or job background. My anxiety and depression has held me back for so long from making this happen and I can't bear the thought of making her wait any longer.

I know this form is more facts and procedures driven forum, so I hope you don't mind me sharing my feelings a little bit cause my family doesn't really understand me. I really hope they don't furlough those people, and the embassies keep working.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
3 hours ago, holdingonforhope said:

I'm going for the K-1 and am about to submit. I don't know if I could bear it if it comes to that. I wouldn't mind moving to Poland (I love it there), but I don't have the means or job background. My anxiety and depression has held me back for so long from making this happen and I can't bear the thought of making her wait any longer.

I know this form is more facts and procedures driven forum, so I hope you don't mind me sharing my feelings a little bit cause my family doesn't really understand me. I really hope they don't furlough those people, and the embassies keep working.

Just submit your petition ASAP and hope for the best. Don’t watch or read the news daily it will drive you crazy. If you haven’t looked at the Poland portal check that out; especially further in the process as you can see reviews of embassy interviews, etc. 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

2 hours ago, Scandi said:

I wouldn't recommend anyone to go down the K-1 path in these times. There are so many things that are changing quickly now due to the current administration and the virus. Imagine the people who are at the end stage of the K-1 visa now, and maybe actually manage to get an interview and have their visa issued. They come to the US, manage to get married and then USCIS cuts their work force from 19,000 to 4,000. Again, imagine sitting here in the US for God knows how long without either an EAD or a greencard. Normal processing times are long enough as it is, so just imagine what kind of backlog the potential furlough could cause.. Your greencard could take years, your EAD could take a year, easily. Scary thought, huh?

And since you're only filing now, imagine how long it would take those 4,000 workers to get to your petition the first place..

Not to mention that they're planning on raising the fees too, where the EAD will no longer be free (like it is today) and will cost you around $500 in addition to all the other greencard costs. 

We went for the K-1 route and if we had to do it all over again we would go for the CR-1. That was my opinion BEFORE the virus, now it's even worse..

We did a K-1, and I totally agree.  We did not realize at the beginning of the process, that we happen to live in a jurisdiction with 13-26 month waits for AOS interviews.  

As it was, we felt quite lucky to have our interview after only 14 months. January 30th of this year, just before COVID blew up.  

7 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

We did a K-1, and I totally agree.  We did not realize at the beginning of the process, that we happen to live in a jurisdiction with 13-26 month waits for AOS interviews.  

As it was, we felt quite lucky to have our interview after only 14 months. January 30th of this year, just before COVID blew up.  

I also did the K1 and I don't recommend it. And my experience was much better than what is happening now and the long wait times that are about tomorrow follow. The drawbacks are real and they will become worse. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I really regret choosing the K1. We were going to get married in December 2019 and the decision was made to do the k1 instead so we wouldn’t have to spend as much time apart. If I could go back and change that decision I 100% would. 

I also wouldn't recommend the K1, which we did. In the middle of the process, we realized we should have gotten married at done the CR1 but at that point, it wasn't worth the hassle to refile because ultimately it would have taken even longer. Things were really tough during AOS for my husband and that was way before the virus where the EAD card wait was only 5-7 months and it was free. With the potentially much longer wait and the fees rising, I would never advise anyone to do the K1. Definitely try to do the CR1. It is cheaper and better in the long run.

13 hours ago, Mike1979 said:

oh God

PUI?

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

2 time K-1 filer and not opposed to it either time, neither 10+ years ago nor now. I guess I am one of the few in the other camp. I suppose both options have their merits, although it wholly depends on your mindset, goals, outlook, situation and plans, it's nice to have the two options to suit individual situations. 

We did a CR-1 (well, it was an IR-1 by the time I got here) and you could not pay me enough to do a K-1. I am the main earner in this household. Not being able to work for 6 months when I arrived would have cost us $36,000 in lost salary and would mean I probably wouldn’t be on the even higher salary that I am on now as I would have “lost my place” on the career ladder. I didn’t spend 7 years at university doing two degrees to lose out like that. 

But it’s not just about money. Having a job as soon as I arrived here helped me settle into routine, helped me settle and meet people, made me feel part of society and not a visitor here. Also the CR-1 is faster to citizenship, if that’s the ultimate aim. 

The fiancé visa also puts the immigrant totally at the mercy of the petitioner. If the petitioner calls off the wedding or doesn’t sign the I-864 for the AOS package then the immigrant has almost no legal option to remain here, despite having the very best intentions and having given up everything back home to come here. Immigrate here as a bona fide spouse and you are almost guaranteed that you won’t have to leave.

Also, should we have a second wave of COVID-19 or a new strain of the virus, or another virus or any other incident that puts the whole world in panic mode, spouses of USCs have been “protected” in all of this in a way fiancés have not. Spouses from COVID-ban countries (mainly Europe) have been able to visit, fiancés have not. Emergency visas for spouses have been issued, not for fiancés.  I’ll wager that when embassies open up that spouses will be prioritized over fiancés in terms of K-1 and CR-1 appointments and issuance.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.