Esuroi

I need help with the K1 visa process!

44 posts in this topic

@JFH said " I’ll wager that when embassies open up that spouses will be prioritized over fiancés in terms of K-1 and CR-1 appointments and issuance." I agree whole heartily! :yes:

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Just now, Greenbaum said:

@JFH said " I’ll wager that when embassies open up that spouses will be prioritized over fiancés in terms of K-1 and CR-1 appointments and issuance." I agree whole heartily! :yes:

All ready announced for Jamaica!

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

What does that mean for k1's who are in the USA, with their AOS filed? 

Slower or longer waiting times?

Jan 2020- visa granted

Feb 2020 - married and AOS sent off

March 2020- biometrics letter sent but then cancelled due to covid

June 2020- still waiting on biometrics, EAD, AP

8 minutes ago, stephnjaxgo2tx said:

You are long past the consulate phase.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

11 minutes ago, stephnjaxgo2tx said:

Jan 2020- visa granted

DOS reopening consular services has nothing to do with USCIS processing times for AOS.

12 minutes ago, stephnjaxgo2tx said:

What does that mean for k1's who are in the USA, with their AOS filed? Slower or longer waiting times? 

Jan 2020- visa granted

Means nothing for those in the USA.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 hours ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

Just to add to that - when people are positive about the K1 experience, it's important to take note as to whether they're the petitioner or the beneficiary (ie, the American or the immigrant)...only reason I say that is that the comment above from someone who's filed 2 times, is presumably from an American petitioner...and as a petitioner, you don't really get to experience the highs or lows of a K1 at all. It's not you that's trapped at home - it's not you that feels like you have no independence or that you're a financial drain - it's the beneficiary that gets impacted primarily.

It's also definitely worth thinking about what type of person the beneficiary is and what their plans or experiences are...if they plan to be a stay at home wife/husband and don't already have experience of being independent (working, driving, etc), the K1 might be right for them...but if that's not their plans/experiences, they may find the K1 more of a negative experience.

Discounting of my input; Basis: "you don't relate or neither could support your partner or see both sides as you are an american and a petitioner" Noted Ma'am. Please ignore my previous statement as it is no longer valid i.e. strike that from the record lol, take note ignore all positive comments about K-1 all. 

Edited by Cody&Razely

11 hours ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

Just to add to that - when people are positive about the K1 experience, it's important to take note as to whether they're the petitioner or the beneficiary (ie, the American or the immigrant)...only reason I say that is that the comment above from someone who's filed 2 times, is presumably from an American petitioner...and as a petitioner, you don't really get to experience the highs or lows of a K1 at all. It's not you that's trapped at home - it's not you that feels like you have no independence or that you're a financial drain - it's the beneficiary that gets impacted primarily.

Different strokes for different folks. There was a time that people abandoned their "independence" when they got married and summarily combined their homes, finances and fates. Believe it or not, some of the people -- even American citizens -- found meaning and happiness in staying home and raising a family and sharing all the household possessions and money as a unit. For some people, though an exceedingly small number in the US, that is still the case.

11 minutes ago, Trutta said:

Different strokes for different folks. There was a time that people abandoned their "independence" when they got married and summarily combined their homes, finances and fates. Believe it or not, some of the people -- even American citizens -- found meaning and happiness in staying home and raising a family and sharing all the household possessions and money as a unit. For some people, though an exceedingly small number in the US, that is still the case.

Nothing about CR1 prevents sharing household possessions and money. It's actually encouraged for couples to comingle finances. 

But even if the immigrant spouse has no problem staying home, they're still in a brand new place and they still experience culture shock. They likely don't know anyone and in many states, they can't drive and in most of the US, you can't do much without a car unfortunately. So making new friends is much harder and the USC spouse is likely working during the day, so the immigrant is left to adjust to a brand new country alone all day. It can be really tough. 

27 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Nothing about CR1 prevents sharing household possessions and money. It's actually encouraged for couples to comingle finances. 

But even if the immigrant spouse has no problem staying home, they're still in a brand new place and they still experience culture shock. They likely don't know anyone and in many states, they can't drive and in most of the US, you can't do much without a car unfortunately. So making new friends is much harder and the USC spouse is likely working during the day, so the immigrant is left to adjust to a brand new country alone all day. It can be really tough. 

No, nothing prevents it. But it is pretty common to hear people talking about things like "independence", "my money" and "his money", separate bank accounts, "freedom", etc. I personally wouldn't go anywhere near a person who talked like that if I was looking to get married. It's no coincidence this talk became more popular as divorce did. I'm not sure why these people don't just stay single. I'm even less sure why anyone would marry these folks.

For the last 20 years I have traveled the world. I've been to 92 countries, all alone. I didn't drive in any of them. There are other ways to get around. Even in America. I finally met my fiance three years ago and settled here while we wait to migrate back home together.

I know a lot of people who don't drive. Both grandmas and my mom (US citizens). My fiance and her mom (not US citizens). And everyone I've ever met from New York, Hong Kong or Tokyo outside of the cabbies and truck drivers.

For most people, for most of human history, the norm was to stay around "home" most of the time. Not travel hundreds of miles per week buying overpriced coffee and low quality consumer goods. My grandmas both did it for their whole lives. So did my mother. All stayed married until death.

Being home is not the end of the world, unless maybe you live in one of those little boxes in Hong Kong. Friends visit. You visit friends. You read. You talk. You go down to the river, or up on the mountain. Sometimes you go into town. Most of the time you stay home, tend to your land, your home and take care of your family. It's a good life.

I am not sure what people think they are missing. Huge crowded cities covered with human/rodent fecal matter where you are smashed together with millions of others in a desperate rat race for survival? Not me. Not any of my family. And not my fiance, though I did have to go to another country to find someone like her in this day and age.

My fiance and I went the K1 route because we want to get back into the US and start a family. We'll spend most of our time together. Sometimes we might have to be apart. Maybe I have to tend the back acreage. Maybe she has to pick some corn. That's life. And it's a good way to live. It's not possible in a lot of the world due to a number of reasons. But it's absolutely possible back home, which is why we aim to get there as soon as we can.

If I wanted "freedom", "independence" and "my own money" I wouldn't get married, K1 or CR1.

Different strokes for different folks.

1 hour ago, Trutta said:

No, nothing prevents it. But it is pretty common to hear people talking about things like "independence", "my money" and "his money", separate bank accounts, "freedom", etc. I personally wouldn't go anywhere near a person who talked like that if I was looking to get married. It's no coincidence this talk became more popular as divorce did. I'm not sure why these people don't just stay single. I'm even less sure why anyone would marry these folks.

I totally agree, who do these women think they are, thinking they should get freedom and independence in their relationships (or in general) - and wanting to work and contribute themselves! Next thing, they'll be wanting to vote too!

Glad the K1 is working out well for you. Hope life in the 1840s is too! Stay safe. 🙏

2 hours ago, Trutta said:

For the last 20 years I have traveled the world. I've been to 92 countries, all alone. I didn't drive in any of them. There are other ways to get around. Even in America. I finally met my fiance three years ago and settled here while we wait to migrate back home together.

I know a lot of people who don't drive. Both grandmas and my mom (US citizens). My fiance and her mom (not US citizens). And everyone I've ever met from New York, Hong Kong or Tokyo outside of the cabbies and truck drivers.

For most people, for most of human history, the norm was to stay around "home" most of the time. Not travel hundreds of miles per week buying overpriced coffee and low quality consumer goods. My grandmas both did it for their whole lives. So did my mother. All stayed married until death.

Being home is not the end of the world, unless maybe you live in one of those little boxes in Hong Kong. Friends visit. You visit friends. You read. You talk. You go down to the river, or up on the mountain. Sometimes you go into town. Most of the time you stay home, tend to your land, your home and take care of your family. It's a good life.

I am not sure what people think they are missing. Huge crowded cities covered with human/rodent fecal matter where you are smashed together with millions of others in a desperate rat race for survival? Not me. Not any of my family. And not my fiance, though I did have to go to another country to find someone like her in this day and age.

My fiance and I went the K1 route because we want to get back into the US and start a family. We'll spend most of our time together. Sometimes we might have to be apart. Maybe I have to tend the back acreage. Maybe she has to pick some corn. That's life. And it's a good way to live. It's not possible in a lot of the world due to a number of reasons. But it's absolutely possible back home, which is why we aim to get there as soon as we can.

If I wanted "freedom", "independence" and "my own money" I wouldn't get married, K1 or CR1.

Different strokes for different folks.

Well, you say New York, one of the few truly urban places in the US, of course that people don't need to drive there. Now go to any suburban hell and public transit is non existent. Where I lived in the US at first, there was literally nothing I could access with public transit, the closest place was a Target a 30 minute walk away and the area was built for cars, not humans. There were sidewalks that no one ever uses because walking gets you nowhere.

Also, your grandma had her support system nearby and had her friends there. You have absolutely none of that when you move to a new country. 

And a couple can share finances but still each individual can be independent. I hated knowing that I don't contribute. It was not a good feeling. And working I'd a great way to fill your time and maybe meet new people and make friends. It's social interaction. It's very uncomfortable to not have your own identity and for everyone you meet to know you through your spouse. 

Now if you're a farmer, your way of life is very different. Nothing wrong with it, it's just not something most people can relate to. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.