visawonderer

PLEASE Help! New in USA in abusive relationship

127 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Georgia16 said:

It will be her words against his... I'm not saying it only has to be physical but you can't  just "tell your story" and then thats fine.

True. So how do I prove it? These things happen everydau here. Should I record them audio? Should I record video? Should document what happened and have the workers/ witnesses sign as witnesses.? 

How do I show them what it's like without having to make it a (he said she said) situation?

Yeah, the marriage before entry is potentially a very significant issue. I'm not as versed in U/T visa categories, but I know a lot of inadmissibilities do not apply. I'm not so sure material misrepresentation is one, though....I'd be kind of surprised if it was (but it is possible) - Edit: well not that surprised given the possible situations. That is the only somewhat realistic option (and those are very tough cases IMO) at staying in the US legally at this point.

My only remaining advice is to reiterate to keep yourself safe first. But I do think it is time to seek professional help, and likely preparing plans to return abroad.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 minute ago, geowrian said:

Yeah, the marriage before entry is potentially a very significant issue. I'm not as versed in U/T visa categories, but I know a lot of inadmissibilities do not apply. I'm not so sure material misrepresentation is one, though....I'd be kind of surprised if it was (but it is possible). That is the only somewhat realistic option (and those are very tough cases IMO) at staying in the US legally at this point.

My only remaining advice is to reiterate to keep yourself safe first. But I do think it is time to seek professional help, and likely preparing plans to return abroad.

I agree. My friend insisted on having me over for a few days to feel safe, clear my head and make decisions. But I have to go back soon. 

She met him and made him feel bad for notdoi g AOS. He "promised that he will adjust status as soon as I return" (not believing it but playing along). He doesn't like that she is American and "knows stuff"... But she did introduce me to this forum and I'm thankful to your help, everyone.

I really hope that he applies, that's when I lose the sense of imprisonment and I can go out and do whatever with my life. Outside  and away fromt their toxic cycle. 

I have to come up with a plan B because I don't trust him giving up his upper hand controlling all cards that easily.

15 minutes ago, visawonderer said:

I really hope that he applies, that's when I lose the sense of imprisonment and I can go out and do whatever with my life. Outside  and away fromt their toxic cycle. 

He's not eligible to apply for your AOS based on the K-1 at this point though...

3 minutes ago, LisaUK said:

My first marriage was very similar in a lot of ways to your situation. I surrendered my Green Card and left. It was the best decision I made under the circumstances and absolutely no regrets. 

Then you understand how I feel. Why did youdo that vs removing restrictions,? Dis you have a support system to go back to? Because I don't

58 minutes ago, Cathi said:

I feel for you and I am familiar with your culture, but if it were me, I'd divorce and go home. You still have you whole life in front of you, don't waste it on a man who obviously doesn't care about you.

Screw the chatty old women, your well being is more important than their BS gossip.

Thank you. I would like to try with him one ladt time. To see of is open to a relationship and not a roommate...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

At this point I think you need to accept that obtaining a green card is not a possibility. I feel for you and all you have given up to come here this is one of the downsides of arranged marriages. It sounds like he is not really interested and that his family is taken advantage of you.

You should cut your loses and move on. You are educated and intelligent, it should not be hard to find a loving partner to spend your life with.

Thank you, the last few messages are on point. I know what is the right thing to do now but need to summon the courage to do it. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Wish me luck! Thank you everyone for your help and advice! I'll post an update when things settle down for me or let you know of any "interesting" updates.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
35 minutes ago, visawonderer said:

Thank you, the last few messages are on point. I know what is the right thing to do now but need to summon the courage to do it. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Wish me luck! Thank you everyone for your help and advice! I'll post an update when things settle down for me or let you know of any "interesting" updates.

Whatever you do will be hard. You have already have support network in the US so that's good. Use it to the fullest. This will sound like #######, but once you do it, you'll feel relieved. Hope everything works out for you. 

I-130                                                                 I-129F

Spoiler

Mailed: Mar. 9, 2019 (Phoenix LB)              Aug. 9,  2019

Delivered: Mar. 12, 2019                               Aug. 12, 2019

NOA1/PD: Mar. 15,  2019 (LIN)                   Aug. 15,  2019

NOA2: Sep. 24, 2019 - Approved                 Sep. 24, 2019 - Denied 

I-130 sent to NVC: Oct. 8, 2019

Received NVC: Oct. 18, 2019

NVC Case#: Nov. 09, 2019 (Assigned to China, should be Japan )

AOS Submitted: Nov. 18, 2019

IV Submitted:  Dec. 23, 2019

AOS/IV Approved: Jan. 16, 2020 

Interview Scheduled: Jan. 23, 2020

Request location change: Mid Nov. 2019 --> Feb. 21, 2020

Contacted my Reps (House, Senate): Feb. 5, 2020 - Rep contacted Guangzhou & Tokyo. 

Response 1: Feb. 11, 2020 - Guangzhou gave copy/paste info to my Rep's office.

Response 2: Feb. 18, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy - Requested transfer fm China - Case moved to Administrative Processing 

A Short Time Later after talking with Rep. Case's office, they contacted the embassies again. 

Response 3: Feb. 21, 2020 - Transfer complete; New interview scheduled.

Interview Date: Mar. 2, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy 

Interview Result: Approved

Visa Issued: Mar. 4, 2020

Visa in hand: Mar. 6, 2020

Time: ~359 Days from start to finish 

POE:  Stupid COVID-19 delaying travel to the US....

POE: Aug. 13, 2020 - San Francisco 

SSN: Oct. 23, 2020

GC: Aug 5, 2021 (51 weeks from entry)

I-751

NOA1 - May 20, 2022 CA Service Center

NOA2 - July 20, 2022 Case Transfered to NBC

NOA3 - Mar 6, 2023 48 month GC extension letter

NOA4 - Sep 1, 2023 Biometrics Appointment 

Update - Oct 6, 2023 Case status update to show fingerprints taken  

:clock:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.