Michael & Michele

Waiting for AOS and husband not contributing enough

39 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Michael & Michele said:

Yes, I'm contemplating withdrawing my I-864 petition which will automatically cancel his 485.

Once you withdraw the I-864 and cancel the Adjustment of status, he will be here illegally unless he goes home. This will for sure not be good for your marriage. Or you already decided to divorce him?

There is always two sides of a story. My ex handled all the finances. My paycheck went into our joint bank account. However he didn't allow me to use my money. I was the only one who worked and I wasn't allowed to buy me food for $5-7. One time I did it anyways and he threatened me with deportation. Later I created a seperate bank account for my own security and changed my direct deposit to go there. I can relate to your husband. You just never know what's really going on. We only read your side of the story but what about his side? By withdrawing the I-864 you threaten his status and he has to go back home.

Edited by little immigrant

3 hours ago, lierre said:

I’m sorry this happened to you.

i don’t know your spouse and how you address conflict in your marriage. But it seems like you need a marriage counselor and a financial counselor.

Money was a very important issue for my spouse and I as we both have had experiences going into credit card debt prior to us having met. I also came from an Asian country where the adult kids are expected to “give back” to their parents and to everyone else who needs in their extended family. Luckily, my parents didn’t raise us that way and they certainly did not oblige us to “give back”. 

It is wrong that he entered into a marriage where his priorities remain to be back home instead of with you. I would never tolerate that with any partner.

In an effort to save my marriage I asked him to go to counseling with me and he refused.  He sees nothing wrong with taking and saving for himself more than he's contributing to the household.  The hurt that comes from my spouse not wanting to help me the way I helped him is devastating.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You guys have a spending issue.  If he won't help you with the joint bills , split them into two.  Make him responsible for some of the stuff you can do without like cable/TV and cell phones.  If they get cut off , then they get cut off.  Every paycheck pay the bills that are due first , then the utilities and if there is money left , you can play.  Throw the card away, they are killing you slowly. 

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Sounds like you both need a plan you can agree to toward the future.. x percent towards debt, x towards family, x amount for food etc. I'd recommend the Dave Ramsey course! (He recommends to cut up those credit cards!)

53 minutes ago, Michael & Michele said:

In an effort to save my marriage I asked him to go to counseling with me and he refused.  He sees nothing wrong with taking and saving for himself more than he's contributing to the household.  The hurt that comes from my spouse not wanting to help me the way I helped him is devastating.

It definitely sounds like he doesn't think about your future or even your present. That is just wrong.

When you marry someone, you share a life. It sounds like he dragged you into his, and you're just in it to make it work out for him.

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

45 minutes ago, Michael & Michele said:

There are two sides to every story.  He will tell you I don't want him to save money.  I will tell you that I absolutely understand his position and encourage him to save money BUT the amount of money he is now saving in a separate bank account is more than he is contributing to our household and the debt I have incurred because of him.  That's not acceptable.  The burden should not be on me and I will absolutely withdraw the I-864 or risk financial ruin.  He sees me as the means to live in America, work and not have to pay his fair share.  If he loved me, he would want to lift me up and make me happy the way I did for him.  I know the truth.

No one forced you to make the purchases. You made them presumably because you love him and thought it would help. Perhaps you could find a marriage or financial counselor and have a conversation (worth 50% on both sides, not one steamrolling over the other) about percentages of your total income to set aside for each area.

My husband and I send paychecks to one account and like the percentage method, but some also put aside dollar amounts.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

money issues are the #1 reason for divorce in this country.

these are all things that should have been discussed and started to be adhered to before you married.

paul and i help each other out. we are partners. a team. if one is in need of something, the other helps. and it goes BOTH ways, even now with only being together every few weeks until k1 is approved. since we are a team, we dont pay each other back. its us helping US. I helped last year with a truck payment. he helped with school supplies before school started for my son. My car was towed last year, he helped with that. ive bought him plane tickets before and helped with gas for his trips here, and hes done the same for me. PARTNERS.

you need a marriage and financial counselor. if he wont do that, the choice is yours as to whether you stay or go.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: Other Timeline
8 hours ago, Michael & Michele said:

His refusal to go to counseling answers your question.  I believe you should discuss your financial situation  with a progessional and your family situation with a divorce attorney.

This comment is not directly aimed at you specifically. But, I see it way too often. People going into debt to facilitate having a partner from overseas. Or, not financially capable of marriage in the first place. Marrying someone from another country is difficult enough without throwing financial difficulty into the mix. Good luck)

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.