Isabella_NZ

Can my work take action against me for taking time off for my adjustment of status appointment

52 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

The only advice I think anyone can give you is to try and communicate with your boss the importance of the interview. If you're a good employee, and the manager is a decent person, they can understand life happens (you mentioned previous time off was due to a car accident, which you didn't ask for). I started communicating with my boss at work from the day we first mailed our I-129 application so he would know the upcoming obligations I would have, and he worked with me 100% when I needed to be out of the office, because he understood this is a temporary process I was going through and he respected my openness with him. If your boss ISN'T a decent person... well, I'd be looking for another job, immigration obligations aside, so I wouldn't have to work for a less-than-decent person.

As others have said - unless your boss decides to be more flexible with you, I think all you can do is let them know what's happening and when, make sure they understand you can't and do not plan on missing this because of the gravity of importance, and if they write you up, they write you up. Hopefully they won't :( 

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
Just now, Illiria said:

There is a section for this kind of non immigration thread, I will ask for it to be moved there but please be aware that insinuating that someone shouldn’t post is against the tos of the site.

I get you are upset but there is no other answer in your case than ‘well the state law says they can get rid of you but maybe if you speak to your boss they can be understanding’.

And that's fine, if it's in the wrong place then have it moved. I figured because it was to do with my adjustment appointment I could post in here but I do not care either way. 

Thought this site was a safe place to post and get advice but clearly it's not.

6 minutes ago, Isabella_NZ said:

Thought this site was a safe place to post and get advice but clearly it's not.

Seems to me you got a lot of helpful advice in a very short time... Your question was answered (yes, they can fire you), and several people have shared their thoughts on how to handle this. 

Timeline
56 minutes ago, MariekeH said:

Seems to me you got a lot of helpful advice in a very short time... Your question was answered (yes, they can fire you), and several people have shared their thoughts on how to handle this. 

I was aiming that comment specifically at that person. Everyone else has been super helpful and provided me with a lot to think about.

1 hour ago, Isabella_NZ said:

Hi all 

I am located in Florida and I currently work full time at a company that has told me if I take any more unapproved absences I will move onto the next stage of performance management.

Long story short I do not have any more leave left and it is there policy that you cannot take unpaid leave other wise I will receive a written warning. 

I got my appointment letter for my adjustment of status which is the end of October and I am worried I will get a verbal warning or worse yet they will try and fire me because of the absence.

Can they do this? Are there any laws in place that won't allow them to fire me??

Any help or suggestions is much appreciated.

A month should be plenty of time to let them know. You need to immediately book off that date, tell them you would like that to be one of your days off for the week and try to negotiate.

Note that usually a written warning isn't grounds for firing. My company has a 9 step process, at step 6 (six occurrences/absences within a year) you get a written warning. At step 7, you're put on a 35 rating and you can't have any no call no shows, but you can miss ONE more day. At Step 8 if you don't come in for any reason then you will move to a Step 9 which is termination.

I would inquire about the HR processes in your company. While it is an at will state, some companies have standards that make it so THEY can't actually get rid of someone until XY and Z occur. I would first let your manager know about your need to have that day off (or even just time off that day if you think you can do that), and then I would recommend contacting HR about their processes and policies.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ash.1101 said:

A month should be plenty of time to let them know. You need to immediately book off that date, tell them you would like that to be one of your days off for the week and try to negotiate.

Note that usually a written warning isn't grounds for firing. My company has a 9 step process, at step 6 (six occurrences/absences within a year) you get a written warning. At step 7, you're put on a 35 rating and you can't have any no call no shows, but you can miss ONE more day. At Step 8 if you don't come in for any reason then you will move to a Step 9 which is termination.

I would inquire about the HR processes in your company. While it is an at will state, some companies have standards that make it so THEY can't actually get rid of someone until XY and Z occur. I would first let your manager know about your need to have that day off (or even just time off that day if you think you can do that), and then I would recommend contacting HR about their processes and policies.

Thank you I really appreciate your response. 

Read the employee handbook so you know what’s permissible and what is not. Then work within those constraints. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Witnessing it now with a coworker of mine.

High level summary of what has happened:

• He has been in the US for 2 years on a work visa. He is from India.
  • He is contracted (1 year) and transferred to our company beginning of this year, Feb 2018.
  • When he transferred, he moved from West coast to East coast
  • The transferred affected him greatly as he struggled with getting adjusted (finding a place to stay, school for his daughter, his car even broke down)
  • He had to miss a lot of days (there were also performance issues also but nothing we couldn't work through)
  • Last month he put in a request for 2.5 months off. (This is not a typo. Yes, an entire 2 and a half months) from October to December.
    • Apparently some big event is taking place in his home country with his family.
  • He thought he could get the 2 months off paid since he has been accruing vacation time for the last two years. He also thought he could take it all at once.
  • Management informed him they will only pay for 2 weeks (company standard leave for paid vacation) and the rest would be leave without pay.
  • Anyway, management eventually decided to cut its loss and have informed him that he can continue working until his contract is up (December 31st) but his services is no longer needed after that.

So to answer you question OP, yes, if excessive absence happens with a worker, a company can terminate them. As you can see with my coworker he is now going to take time off only to return to pack up his things and be unemployed.

It sucks but a company is not legal obligated to give an employee work flexibility unless it is medical related.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

I would go above your manager and speak to HR, frankly. Yes, they can fire you. It's up to them if they want to or not. However, if you speak to HR, you can make it clear that this is something that you NEED to be able to move forward in the immigration process and there was no way to foresee when the appointment was.

With that being said, perhaps try to toughen up when you ask for advice. Most of us ARE Americans, after all. We don't hold back and we will tell you how it is, even if it's not done in the nicest way possible.

1 hour ago, Jaquelly said:

I would go above your manager and speak to HR, frankly. Yes, they can fire you. It's up to them if they want to or not. However, if you speak to HR, you can make it clear that this is something that you NEED to be able to move forward in the immigration process and there was no way to foresee when the appointment was.

With that being said, perhaps try to toughen up when you ask for advice. Most of us ARE Americans, after all. We don't hold back and we will tell you how it is, even if it's not done in the nicest way possible.

I can't say that has been my experience of Americans :P a lot of them are really nice. 

OP, did you get written notice of the interview? If they see it in writing then they may take it seriously. 

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 hour ago, Jaquelly said:

This one I'm still learning, we take cultural differences for granted and definitely the way we (as people) communicate is a big one. I try not to take things personally, or expect sugar coated answers, also empathy is showed different, we Latinos (well, some of us, not me) tend to victimize about things so we expect people to be extra kind and sweet if we are having a bad time, with you Americans a simple "I'm sorry you are going trough that" makes it lol, it's ok, it's just how we are.

About OP, I suggest you to start looking for another position, they will have you under constant proof with that attitude they are showing, life happens and you might need extra days later for IDK, going to the dentist or something. We spend a lot of our life time at work, better make it in a place where you feel at least appreciated.

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

Medical: February 18, 2019

CAS (Biometrics): February 19, 2019

Interview: February 20, 2019 - APPROVED!

CEAC Issued: Februery 27, 2019

VOH: March 12, 2019

POE: March 23, 2019

Marriage: May 10, 2019

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
6 hours ago, Isabella_NZ said:

Hi all 

I am located in Florida and I currently work full time at a company that has told me if I take any more unapproved absences I will move onto the next stage of performance management.

Long story short I do not have any more leave left and it is there policy that you cannot take unpaid leave other wise I will receive a written warning. 

I got my appointment letter for my adjustment of status which is the end of October and I am worried I will get a verbal warning or worse yet they will try and fire me because of the absence.

Can they do this? Are there any laws in place that won't allow them to fire me??

Any help or suggestions is much appreciated.

Since you have been in a car accident, did you file for an FMLA to help protect yourself from missing too much medically-related absences? If you had an FMLA to protect you, perhaps you could schedule a medical appointment the same day as your AOS interview and would thereby be protected under FMLA?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.