Isabella_NZ

Can my work take action against me for taking time off for my adjustment of status appointment

52 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi all 

I am located in Florida and I currently work full time at a company that has told me if I take any more unapproved absences I will move onto the next stage of performance management.

Long story short I do not have any more leave left and it is there policy that you cannot take unpaid leave other wise I will receive a written warning. 

I got my appointment letter for my adjustment of status which is the end of October and I am worried I will get a verbal warning or worse yet they will try and fire me because of the absence.

Can they do this? Are there any laws in place that won't allow them to fire me??

Any help or suggestions is much appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
  •  USCIS appointment is not one of the legal absences required by law (like Court Order, Jury Duty, etc).
  • In most the the case, there is not really laws which can prevent employer from "firing" you, they can simply let you go. When I signed my contact with my current employer, it clearly states they do not guarantee that they will offer my employment and I am not required to work for them (I can resign anytime).
  • The best way is try to negotiate with your manager if you can work extra hours (or even weekends) to make up for a few hours/1 day absence.

Edited by RTLE

Timeline
4 minutes ago, old-fella said:

They can do that. It depends upon their policy 

However, question is, Is your job important than you being in legal status????

If I were you, I would have planned better. Well, didn't plan better then I would speak to my boss and explain the situation. Sensible people understand how important AOS. Even after explaining the importance of AOS, if they would fire me; I would simply resign because I don't want to work for or with people who are unreasonable

Plan better? You sound like my manager... 

I was in a car accident so the leave I took was not something I in any way planned for.

How am I meant to plan for an appointment that I have no idea when they're going to schedule it...

Obviously going to the appointment is more important because not going means being booted out 😑

4 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

Florida is an at will state. they can fire you for any, or no, reason.

why have you taken so much time off that its even an issue?

anyways, being written up isn't the be all end all of a job. AOS is far more important than a job that can be replaced. And with an emmployer attitude like that ... I'd be looking for a new one, anyways. its not like youre skipping work to go to Disney.

I was in a car accident..

Timeline
4 minutes ago, RTLE said:
  •  USCIS appointment is not one of the legal absences required by law (like Court Order, Jury Duty, etc).
  • In most the the case, there is not really laws which can prevent employer from "firing" you, they can simply let you go. When I signed my contact with my current employer, it clearly states they do not guarantee that they will offer my employment and I am not required to work for them (I can resign anytime).
  • The best way is try to negotiate with your manager if you can work extra hours (or even weekends) to make up for a few hours/1 day absence.

I have tried having that conversation with them and they will not allow people to work additional hours to flex their schedule. 

I have no yet brought up the appointment so maybe they will be more understanding of this situation but I'm not holding my breath.

I always advise those who have a job in this process to save at least two days leave no matter what (one for the fingerprints and one for the aos interview). Having the leave time saved up but not putting down when it is until you get the interview letter. 

So is all leave lumped into one type, no separate sick and vacation leave? 

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

As others mentioned, by state law there in Florida an employer can do  as they wish. Especially seeing as they have verbally told you you can't take more time off. Things come up, such as the car accident, that are out of peoples hands; but at the same time you have to manage still whether take the time off and risk the job or figure another solution out. This is an immigration site, not a "Can my work fire me" hotline.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

2 minutes ago, Isabella_NZ said:

I have tried having that conversation with them and they will not allow people to work additional hours to flex their schedule. 

I have no yet brought up the appointment so maybe they will be more understanding of this situation but I'm not holding my breath.

Explain to them that this appointment is essential for you to remain in legal status and be able to keep working for them. Offer to try to reschedule if October is not possible for them. Offer to work extra hours to make up for it. Plus, depending on how far you are from the field office, it won't take a whole day. I only arrived an hour late to work when I had my interview in the morning. If they aren't willing to work with you to get this done, my guess is they are looking for an excuse to fire you anyway and you'll  be better of finding a new job. Good luck!

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Illiria said:

I always advise those who have a job in this process to save at least two days leave no matter what (one for the fingerprints and one for the aos interview). Having the leave time saved up but not putting down when it is until you get the interview letter. 

So is all leave lumped into one type, no separate sick and vacation leave? 

It's separate but it's in their policy that if you run out of one the other will be used to cover it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Isabella_NZ said:

Unless you are working at a plant which really requires your expertise or the plant must be shutdown, do not let you go for 1 day is kind of harsh. However, employer (regarding state of employment), they can (or easily to find a way) to fire you and with verbal warning there is nothing can hold them from firing you.

• Try your best to discuss with them
  • Find another job that you can have easier life.  Dot not want to brag I was given extra 6 weeks to spend time with my wife (in addition to my original vacation time) when my boss knew I got married.

2 minutes ago, Isabella_NZ said:

I understand this is an immigration site but I see many people posting about all kinds of things so your hotline comment is rude and unnecessary. 

There is a section for this kind of non immigration thread, I will ask for it to be moved there but please be aware that insinuating that someone shouldn’t post is against the tos of the site.

I get you are upset but there is no other answer in your case than ‘well the state law says they can get rid of you but maybe if you speak to your boss they can be understanding’.

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.