KeratNY

Denied re-entry with advance parole?

80 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Then all this travel is your choices to make.  Point is don't blame other things for your own choices. As someone who spent 12-15 months on deployments in the middle east, trust me, it's not hard to stay away from family/friends/ect. Honeymoon can be done at anniversary and some don't even bother with it. That's again, your own personal choice to make. And the ability to travel must also show you got EAD but don't want to or aren't working cause I know a lot of companies wouldn't be giving any time off within first 6 plus months, that's usually just an evaluation period. Point is, again, if you're "worried" or "afraid", don't go regardless of whatever circumstance you wish to use as the reason, just pretty simple. And as for the GC holders being held up before, yes there was some miswording/guidance in the first "ban", but also again only USC's are guaranteed entry into the US. A GC still doesn't; but that issue has been corrected and the ban also was supported by the SCOTUS yesterday in it's entirety. So if the laws of this country worry/bother people, again, it is all your personal choice, and a lot of immigrants(regardless how they came in legally through marriage, K-1, F1, ect) understand this and applaud it all (my husband does).. So that's all I'm saying.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

35 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

Why people are so 'desperate' to immediately go home and travel after just having dealt with the long wait to get here in the first place is beyond me; but regardless, if you have AP, then you're fine. That's what it's for, travel and re-entry. As noted, immigrations has final say on entry, always has been that way. It isn't because of the "current climate", i laugh about that all the time. Again it's been this way for years and years. So either take the "chance" or "risk" to travel, or just wait until you have your green card. Pretty simple stuff.

The OP did not come with a K1, CR1, or a IR1 they were a tourist visa that is doing AOS right now.

And in many situations AP is the only option depending your status look at DACA and some cases of TPS, AP is the only way to adjust status at times, it sucks but oh well.

AOS/TPS/EAD obstacles with my non-US spouse

Ramos v. Nielsen happens
Late 2019 we decide to leave the USA for good because it wasn't worth it for us to stay in the USA in limbo.
US Immigration is interesting which is why I'm still here

2 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

Then all this travel is your choices to make.  Point is don't blame other things for your own choices. As someone who spent 12-15 months on deployments in the middle east, trust me, it's not hard to stay away from family/friends/ect. Honeymoon can be done at anniversary and some don't even bother with it. That's again, your own personal choice to make. And the ability to travel must also show you got EAD but don't want to or aren't working cause I know a lot of companies wouldn't be giving any time off within first 6 plus months, that's usually just an evaluation period. Point is, again, if you're "worried" or "afraid", don't go regardless of whatever circumstance you wish to use as the reason, just pretty simple. And as for the GC holders being held up before, yes there was some miswording/guidance in the first "ban", but also again only USC's are guaranteed entry into the US. A GC still doesn't; but that issue has been corrected and the ban also was supported by the SCOTUS yesterday in it's entirety. So if the laws of this country worry/bother people, again, it is all your personal choice, and a lot of immigrants(regardless how they came in legally through marriage, K-1, F1, ect) understand this and applaud it all (my husband does).. So that's all I'm saying.

I completely agree with this as well.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ben&Zian said:

Why people are so 'desperate' to immediately go home and travel after just having dealt with the long wait to get here in the first place is beyond me; but regardless, if you have AP, then you're fine. That's what it's for, travel and re-entry. As noted, immigrations has final say on entry, always has been that way. It isn't because of the "current climate", i laugh about that all the time. Again it's been this way for years and years. So either take the "chance" or "risk" to travel, or just wait until you have your green card. Pretty simple stuff.

I think that people are perceiving "an immigration unfriendly" environment and erroneously applying it to their own situation. I think in each situation people need to balance out the upside of an international trip with the assessed risk. The upside is usually immediately apparent to each person. Believe me my next trip is highly important to my wife and I and it would be a massive pain to us to wait another 8+ months for it.

The risk of re-entry is not immediately apparent. There are no denial statistics for this, so I think it makes sense that people try to assess if using advance parole is a 1% risk, a 10% risk, a 25% risk, and so forth, to make the right decision.  People can be "worried"  or "afraid" to go, but after asking these types of questions and if they assess the risk as very low (which I have done but others have not), the upside of the travel is still worth it. I have assessed the risk as 1%-5% which is still too high for my comfort but balanced against the joy and benefits of the trip I believe the ratio makes sense for me to go. 

I agree that the first travel ban was the only situation in recent and not-so-recent history where green card holders were (temporarily) being denied, and that was a fiasco that was quickly rectified. So @Ermin&Zijadapointing to that as a relevant example as something that could happen to AP is completely illegitimate. That was very very clearly a one time thing that was a mistake the Trump administration learned.  But they have assessed the risk as too high compared to the upside they would get. 

So the choices are indeed "simple."  But it is not an easy choice and I think people here are doing their background research to assess the risk. 

19 hours ago, BlessedAssurance said:

Parole. Parole. parole. In that way.

Parole implies you have committed a crime or something, for which you are being paroled. 

I guess the parole means you are pardoned after abandoning your AOS petition, which keeps it alive.

I’ve often wondered that. Parole does sound like you’ve committed a crime!  :jest:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

I’ve often wondered that. Parole does sound like you’ve committed a crime!  :jest:

Maybe the "crime" is doing AOS:P  

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When the travel ban was first introduced those “potentially impacted” had massive fears about what is possible. Lawyers emailed everyone saying if you come near XYZ countries do not even think about it. Since then the rules have become clear, the issue has gone to every court known to man so people should try to worry less about the “political climate”. The rules are clear what President can do and can’t. That said if you are abroad absolutely the rules/law could change tomorrow and you need to weigh that risk.

Also I think anyone needs to think if they want to even live in the USA longterm if they have caused no crimes/trouble and are denied entry for zero explanation. Ofcourse this depends on your situation and where your home country is. But a greencard can also be revoked so again some inherent risk always exists.

I know one person who traveled with AP waiting for AOS and having an overstay history prior. I did not recommended her to travel at that time because, you know, “what ifs”, but she went on a trip and entered back with no problems. 

Yes they do say that entry is not granted to anyone but UCS, but what exactly that means? In my understanding that phrase means you won’t be admitted if you break the law that would make you inadmissible. Like, returning LPR convicted of inadmissible crime won’t be admitted - that’s the law and it’s abailable for all to exam your situation before travelling. But it does not mean that you still might be denied entry if have not committed anything that makes you inadmissible, just because the officer had a bad day. I believe that’s where all the paranoia and panic starts because it does sounds pretty scary that you always have a chance not to come back - and it’s impprtant to understand that this “chance” is not like gambling, but immigration laws which available for anyone and can be calculated based on your personal factors in immigration journey. 

Right? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If you use Ap your are paroled in, NOT admitted.

QED

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
22 hours ago, KeratNY said:

I know there are a lot of people on this forum who have been active readers and participants here for many months or even years. 

Have any of you come across a thread here (or somewhere else online) where someone in AOS process was denied re-entry back into the US with an approved advance parole but before a green card was approved? Denied either because of a prior overstay, unauthorized employment, illegal entry (such as DACA where they receive advance parole) or anything else.

There are a lot of people scared to travel in this particular situation, but try as I might I cannot even find one negative situation like this online from 2014 or afterwards. If there are, would be good to assess and learn from. So anyone who recalls reading something like this please point me in that direction. 

Those who traveled on advance parole with a prior overstay or unauthorized employment, how did it work out for you?

Thanks

I was left to sit down for 2 hours while the officer processed at least 30 to 40 people in front of me. I remember people asking "why are you not processing her?" and he kept saying "soon". Finally after that long he kept playing it "cool" but still, he left me there for 2 hours. On top of that, every time I said why I went back (4 days!!!) to my country (I had to show up for exams because I study online) he kept twisting my words (like he wanted to understand the wrong thing or something).  I am not traveling anymore until I get my green card, that's for sure. 

K1 Visa Process

Nov. 2016 - Applied for K1 Visa
Nov. 2016 - NOA1 

April 2017 - NOA2 (6 months!)

April 2017 - Arrived to NVC

April 2017 - Got the # from NVC

May 2017 - Case left NVC

May 2017 - Arrived to Embassy

May 2017 - Got Package 3 

May 2017- Got Package 4

May 2017 - Interview [APPROVED!]

June 2017 - Visa arrived home

June 2017 - Made it to the US. Finally with my future hubby!!

July 2017 - Married!

AOS Process

August 2017 - Started AOS

August 2017 - NOA1

Sept. 2017 - Biometrics

19th Dec. 2018 - Interview date  [16 months]

Dec. 2018 - GC processing

29th Dec. 2018 - GC arrived home! [10 days!]
Remove Conditions - Soon...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.