KeratNY

Denied re-entry with advance parole?

80 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know there are a lot of people on this forum who have been active readers and participants here for many months or even years. 

Have any of you come across a thread here (or somewhere else online) where someone in AOS process was denied re-entry back into the US with an approved advance parole but before a green card was approved? Denied either because of a prior overstay, unauthorized employment, illegal entry (such as DACA where they receive advance parole) or anything else.

There are a lot of people scared to travel in this particular situation, but try as I might I cannot even find one negative situation like this online from 2014 or afterwards. If there are, would be good to assess and learn from. So anyone who recalls reading something like this please point me in that direction. 

Those who traveled on advance parole with a prior overstay or unauthorized employment, how did it work out for you?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Why are you so eager to find someone who was denied entry while holding AP documents?

The AP allows someone to travel, and CBP are very familiar with it and what benefits accompany it.

AOS, ROC, N-400, & PASSPORT, FOR HUSBAND TO USC

[02/23, 2012]  - DAY 001  (day 0001) (AOS) Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[06/01, 2012]  - 
DAY 099  (day 0099) 2-year Conditional GC in hand
[05/05, 2014]  - DAY 001  (day 0802) (ROC) Mailed package to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

[05/14, 2014]  - DAY 009  (day 0811) Received NOA1 (GC Extended for 1 year)

[01/14, 2016]  - DAY 620  (day 1421) 10-year GC in hand

[02/22, 2017]  - DAY 001  (day 1826) (N-400) Mailed package to Lewisville, TX, via USPS overnight

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 323  (day 2149) (N-400) Naturalization Oath Ceremony (5 years, 10 months, 19 days)

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 001  (day 2149) (US Passport) Applied for US Passport, regular processing

01/25, 2018]  - DAY 015  (day 2164) (US Passport) Passport in hand (5 years, 11 months, 3 days from start of Journey.)

AOS, N-400, & PASSPORT FOR DAUGHTER [OF HUSBAND TO USC]

[06/14, 2013] - DAY 001 Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[11/21, 2013] - Day 153 SSN and 10-year GC in hand

09/01, 2021]  - (day 3001) (US Passport) Passport in hand (8 years, 2 months, 18 days from start of Journey.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Always struck me was that the bigger issue is being paroled in when you use AP rather than admitted.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
15 minutes ago, BlessedAssurance said:

Why are you so eager to find someone who was denied entry while holding AP documents?

The AP allows someone to travel, and CBP are very familiar with it and what benefits accompany it.

Curiosity. A lot of people in this situation are scared to travel, and STILL a lot of lawyers tell their clients not to travel on advance parole, or even to apply for advance parole, because of this fear. This fear must come from SOMEWHERE or it is totally irrational. So, I'm curious if there are stories out there people are reacting to. 

4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Always struck me was that the bigger issue is being paroled in when you use AP rather than admitted.

In what way?

Edited by KeratNY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
2 minutes ago, KeratNY said:

In what way?

Parole. Parole. parole. In that way.

Parole implies you have committed a crime or something, for which you are being paroled. 

I guess the parole means you are pardoned after abandoning your AOS petition, which keeps it alive.

AOS, ROC, N-400, & PASSPORT, FOR HUSBAND TO USC

[02/23, 2012]  - DAY 001  (day 0001) (AOS) Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[06/01, 2012]  - 
DAY 099  (day 0099) 2-year Conditional GC in hand
[05/05, 2014]  - DAY 001  (day 0802) (ROC) Mailed package to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

[05/14, 2014]  - DAY 009  (day 0811) Received NOA1 (GC Extended for 1 year)

[01/14, 2016]  - DAY 620  (day 1421) 10-year GC in hand

[02/22, 2017]  - DAY 001  (day 1826) (N-400) Mailed package to Lewisville, TX, via USPS overnight

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 323  (day 2149) (N-400) Naturalization Oath Ceremony (5 years, 10 months, 19 days)

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 001  (day 2149) (US Passport) Applied for US Passport, regular processing

01/25, 2018]  - DAY 015  (day 2164) (US Passport) Passport in hand (5 years, 11 months, 3 days from start of Journey.)

AOS, N-400, & PASSPORT FOR DAUGHTER [OF HUSBAND TO USC]

[06/14, 2013] - DAY 001 Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[11/21, 2013] - Day 153 SSN and 10-year GC in hand

09/01, 2021]  - (day 3001) (US Passport) Passport in hand (8 years, 2 months, 18 days from start of Journey.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1

Timeline
9 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Entry with AP is always at CBP's discretion. They can choose to not do so and you're stuck with it. The other issue is if AOS is denied while abroad, in which case AP is automatically revoked. So there certainly is a concern/risk, but so long as AP was properly issued and there's no good reason for them to not let you back in (i.e. undisclosed criminal record, new crimes abroad, etc.). then the risk is incredibly small.

Thanks. Yes it is always at CBP's discretion, and that fact alone scares people (AND lawyers who really should know better) away from doing it, but that fact also applies to LPRs too. Some people and lawyers think the risk is very high, which is demonstrably wrong. Which is why I'm curious what is underlying that. 

I have faith that they almost always deny you for a specific reason and I'm curious as to what those could be, in this situation. Which is why I want to find a single thread where this happened and assess it, to learn the answer to that. Those potential reasons you outline above are in line with my thinking and helpful, as well as your conclusion that the "risk is incredibly small." And yet, the fear is pervasive and widespread, which appears to be a result of catastrophizing (which is human nature, I get it) rather than based in reality. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 hours ago, KeratNY said:

I know there are a lot of people on this forum who have been active readers and participants here for many months or even years. 

Have any of you come across a thread here (or somewhere else online) where someone in AOS process was denied re-entry back into the US with an approved advance parole but before a green card was approved? Denied either because of a prior overstay, unauthorized employment, illegal entry (such as DACA where they receive advance parole) or anything else.

There are a lot of people scared to travel in this particular situation, but try as I might I cannot even find one negative situation like this online from 2014 or afterwards. If there are, would be good to assess and learn from. So anyone who recalls reading something like this please point me in that direction. 

Those who traveled on advance parole with a prior overstay or unauthorized employment, how did it work out for you?

Thanks

Nice question! I would like to know too

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I think that unless you've done something stupid while trying to get into the US like trying to bring in drugs or something equally stupid you're fine. 

But you should be aware that since you're being paroled into the country most likely you'll be put through secondary inspection. Don't know if that always happens with Advance Parole that you get with your AOS application. I came into the US on a Emergency Advance Parole I got during my AOS journey and CBP told me it was routine procedure for anyone being paroled into the country. It was no big deal at all, they pretty much just asked me why I had been granted an Emergency Advance Parole. It just took a lot of time (2+ hours) because they were busy but I wasn't surprised about it. I arrived during my airports equivalent to rush hour with an incredible amount of international flights arrive at the same time. Only ting that bugged me was not being able to contact my husband. Though he was fine too, getting through lots of episodes on something on Netflix at the cell phone lot... 

16 hours ago, KeratNY said:

Thanks. Yes it is always at CBP's discretion, and that fact alone scares people (AND lawyers who really should know better) away from doing it, but that fact also applies to LPRs too. Some people and lawyers think the risk is very high, which is demonstrably wrong. Which is why I'm curious what is underlying that. 

I have faith that they almost always deny you for a specific reason and I'm curious as to what those could be, in this situation. Which is why I want to find a single thread where this happened and assess it, to learn the answer to that. Those potential reasons you outline above are in line with my thinking and helpful, as well as your conclusion that the "risk is incredibly small." And yet, the fear is pervasive and widespread, which appears to be a result of catastrophizing (which is human nature, I get it) rather than based in reality. 

If you haven't done any crimes or anything close to that I wouldn't understand why lawyers wouldn't extend the use of AP

AOS/TPS/EAD obstacles with my non-US spouse

Ramos v. Nielsen happens
Late 2019 we decide to leave the USA for good because it wasn't worth it for us to stay in the USA in limbo.
US Immigration is interesting which is why I'm still here

My husband and I have made the decision not to travel with AP. Our fears are not because we heard stories about people being denied entry, but because of the uncertainty of the current immigration climate. It only takes one executive order before AP is useless. Not too long ago people were being detained even with a Green Card much less AP. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ermin&Zijada said:

My husband and I have made the decision not to travel with AP. Our fears are not because we heard stories about people being denied entry, but because of the uncertainty of the current immigration climate. It only takes one executive order before AP is useless. Not too long ago people were being detained even with a Green Card much less AP. 

I so agree with this. I am even nervous about potentially going up to Canada to bring back a dog and I am Permanent Resident with an expired Green Card and only an extension letter to prove I am a resident. I know I am fine, but with the current climate and everything changing drastically willy nilly, I am still nervous about it. 

18 hours ago, BlessedAssurance said:

To be fair, some CBP are incompetent, like the one who sent me to get a permit that only applies for tourist and student visas. Only after we talked to a few people supervisor we got our money back. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.