Jordanian Bride

Why does the US hate AOS from tourist visas?

104 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hey guys, don't jump on the hate train! We're not planning to do that, and can't anyway.

I've been studying the immigration process very closely ever see we embarked on this journey, and I don't get it from a US point of view. If you adjust status, then you qualify for a green card, and your visa bulletin is current. It's not like you are adjusting status despite an ineligibility to do so. What kind of problems, possibly security or workload related does it create for USCIS for aliens to adjust status from a tourist visa?

I am not looking for an answer like "Well, it wouldn't be fair to the immigrants who went through consular processing." I know it isn't fair, but USCIS doesn't care about how we feel, so what's the actual reason?

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Vickys_Mom said:

When you enter the country on a tourist visa, you're going to be asked questions about whether or not you plan to stay in the United States past the end of your tourist visa.  (I'm not familiar with the paperwork you fill out for a tourist visa, but I bet there are questions on it about whether you plan to stay.)

You are expected to answer the questions honestly.

That makes sense. I, too, am not familiar with the paperwork you fill out for a tourist visa. That being said, we are N O T conspiring to commit visa fraud, so you don't have to warn me.

This is a casual discussion about the approach USCIS takes, and not a protest against it. I find that US immigration puts a lot of weight into intention, which to me is really strange. It's good for immigrants, but it surprises me!

Edited by Jordanian Bride

Timeline

Guys, y'all are not reading the post. I am not protesting and whining that we want to adjust status on a tourist visa. I come from a high visa fraud country, and I hate that we created that reputation for ourselves.

That being said, I am trying to discuss why it is unethical in the eyes of the law, and if there are security and other concerns I am overlooking. I know we have a strict policy against visa fraud, and I don't see how I am going against that? This is a discussion about USCIS concerns.

Edited by Jordanian Bride

Timeline
1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:
  • Because it bypasses the entire system of security checks in the home country that is done there by the embassy
  • and USCIS has to do it from here which ties up the federal system(s) that have to search for answer(s) and security checks from foreign governments 

Doing this involves several branches of the federal government

for one a tourist does not have to provide a criminal report and medical exam so all the paperwork that would have been done from homeland now has to be done here 

Thank you, you're the first to answer my question without preaching to the converted!

But I always thought, even if so, don't the immigrants adjusting status have to provide criminal report from their home country (and any other country they have resided in aged 16+)?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

For AOS, you do not submit such documents.

So there is no submitting police reports for AOS from a tourist visa? Isn't that a major loophole?

3 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

For AOS, you do not submit such documents. To answer your question, a lot of people don't like this route (B2 to AOS) because it's seen as the easiest way to commit fraud. I don't have exact stats but it would be interesting to know if B2 AOS cases does indeed yield the most fraud investigations. Fraud can happen under any category though. A couple years ago in Los Angeles, a local cafe shut down while a 2nd location was being built in the city. Turns out the owner had violated their investor visa (EB5, I think?) and basically misused the millions that had been given to them for the operation. Yikes!!

Now this is the kinda juice I started this topic for!

Do you know any more about the story? If the owner has opened a business providing jobs to at least 10 US citizens (and brought $0.5million), then he did what he came to the USA to do, right?

Timeline
6 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

Also wanna add that there are many stories of immigration fraud with the student visa. Lots of fake schools out there that just take people's money who want a way into the US and are not actual educational institutions.

I heard about that. Luckily, COs now have lists of schools to avoid. I heard of this school in MN that has in-state tuition for international students. Apparently Indians and Chinese apply to them to get to the country to later secure jobs.

Just now, Jordanian Bride said:

So there is no submitting police reports for AOS from a tourist visa? Isn't that a major loophole?

Now this is the kinda juice I started this topic for!

Do you know any more about the story? If the owner has opened a business providing jobs to at least 10 US citizens (and brought $0.5million), then he did what he came to the USA to do, right?

USCIS conducts the criminal background checks for AOS applicants. 

As for the cafe owner, I don't have all the details. Technically he did open the business and the cafe was operational for a time. But obviously he got caught misusing the millions while the 2nd location was being built and that's a violation of the visa. He effed around and found out. The govt ultimately doesn't care what his original intentions were or the fact he did have an operational business at one point...it turned illegal and unethical. So he's out.

2 minutes ago, Jordanian Bride said:

I heard about that. Luckily, COs now have lists of schools to avoid. I heard of this school in MN that has in-state tuition for international students. Apparently Indians and Chinese apply to them to get to the country to later secure jobs.

Yes I've heard more stories about these fake schools. There have been some stories about fake marriage operations too. Criminals are gonna criminal, no matter what.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.