Jordanian Bride

Why does the US hate AOS from tourist visas?

104 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
16 hours ago, Jess A said:

It is only a few group of senior VJ members who automatically associate it with fraud/hate/legal problems. 

Assumptions can be fraught with mistakes.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
On 5/23/2022 at 2:18 PM, Daphne K said:

I am not sure if the US hates AOS from tourist visas but I do think that it almost has a sense of dishonesty. How can somebody go from  " I am going to visit the US for x weeks" (and show strong ties to their home country) to " I am just going to stay" (never mind the ties I had, I will text my boss that I quit my job, email my landlord that I want to end my lease etc.) I honestly never understood how people were just able to that, but that is just me..

There are few cases,of ppl having a long-distance relationship to a us citizen, coming over for visits for years and at some point during a visit,spontaneously decide to get married- then you can stay and adjust status- but those are rare cases .

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

My friend tried this with his Chinese friend. she came to USA on a valid tourist visa she had obtained some time ago. He told her just come on here and if we get along we will just handle it here. Well at SFO airport they got suspicious. took her into secondary cancelled tourist visa  and said she could agree to leave or would be deported with five year ban. she agreed to leave. He railed on how unfair this was. He never talked to an attorney or reviewed any immigration information prior to suggesting this. The result was predictable. 

Timeline
7 hours ago, LEISEROM said:

My friend tried this with his Chinese friend. she came to USA on a valid tourist visa she had obtained some time ago. He told her just come on here and if we get along we will just handle it here. Well at SFO airport they got suspicious. took her into secondary cancelled tourist visa  and said she could agree to leave or would be deported with five year ban. she agreed to leave. He railed on how unfair this was. He never talked to an attorney or reviewed any immigration information prior to suggesting this. The result was predictable. 

But why did they get suspicious in the first place? Did she bring more than the usual amount of luggage? Or did she tell,i visit my fiance? Then of course, it might raise some flags🤔

1 minute ago, Caligirl1 said:

But why did they get suspicious in the first place? Did she bring more than the usual amount of luggage? Or did she tell,i visit my fiance? Then of course, it might raise some flags🤔

She brought a lot of luggage. When they opened it they noted certified copies of diplomas, certificates and other documents. Not what a tourist would normally bring. He got a transscript of the interview. Why the immigration officials got suspicious in the first place I dont know. Obviously something she said.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, LEISEROM said:

She brought a lot of luggage. When they opened it they noted certified copies of diplomas, certificates and other documents. Not what a tourist would normally bring. He got a transscript of the interview. Why the immigration officials got suspicious in the first place I dont know. Obviously something she said.

Well,then it makes sense..   that was just stupid,to do that.should have just shipped/ send that kind of stuff and travel with " normal" touristy things🤷‍♀️

5 minutes ago, Caligirl1 said:

Well,then it makes sense..   that was just stupid,to do that.should have just shipped/ send that kind of stuff and travel with " normal" touristy things🤷‍♀️

Well if you knew my friend you would not be surprised. He worked many years in Africa where such entry irregularities could be solved by $$$. However the USA doesnt work that way. I asked him if he ever talked to anyone or reviewed any immigration forums/websites to see about this before he encouraged her to try this.

Timeline
29 minutes ago, LEISEROM said:

Well if you knew my friend you would not be surprised. He worked many years in Africa where such entry irregularities could be solved by $$$. However the USA doesnt work that way. I asked him if he ever talked to anyone or reviewed any immigration forums/websites to see about this before he encouraged her to try this.

Apparently, he did not🤷‍♀️ you would think,anyone would do that and be better prepared. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
On 5/23/2022 at 5:16 PM, Jordanian Bride said:

So there is no submitting police reports for AOS from a tourist visa? Isn't that a major loophole?

The US government does these security checks when someone does AOS from tourist visa/  that is a burden to the US agencies that have to get these done as said in my post/  to me it seems even a tourist should have to provide criminal reports and do a medical exam (just to cut down spread of illnesses)

Now this is the kinda juice I started this topic for!

Do you know any more about the story? If the owner has opened a business providing jobs to at least 10 US citizens (and brought $0.5million), then he did what he came to the USA to do, right?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
On 5/23/2022 at 2:18 PM, Daphne . said:

I am not sure if the US hates AOS from tourist visas but I do think that it almost has a sense of dishonesty. How can somebody go from  " I am going to visit the US for x weeks" (and show strong ties to their home country) to " I am just going to stay" (never mind the ties I had, I will text my boss that I quit my job, email my landlord that I want to end my lease etc.) I honestly never understood how people were just able to that, but that is just me..

My wife was visiting from Japan while we had a pending K1 Application. Covid hit, Japan locked down their borders even for citizens, all return flights were canceled and she was stranded here. We ended up getting married so she wouldn't overstay. Her interview in Tokyo was canceled,  She lost her job, and the apartment tied to it, fortunately her boss was pretty great and sent all her stuff to her parents house. We still haven't been back yet.

There are many plausible reasons, I'm sure we were not the only ones in the exact same situation. Our interviewer was very sympathetic to our situation and even said she was sorry that she had to go through so much and approved her in the office with a print out. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
7 minutes ago, shaolincrane said:

My wife was visiting from Japan while we had a pending K1 Application. Covid hit, Japan locked down their borders even for citizens, all return flights were canceled and she was stranded here. We ended up getting married so she wouldn't overstay. Her interview in Tokyo was canceled,  She lost her job, and the apartment tied to it, fortunately her boss was pretty great and sent all her stuff to her parents house. We still haven't been back yet.

There are many plausible reasons, I'm sure we were not the only ones in the exact same situation. Our interviewer was very sympathetic to our situation and even said she was sorry that she had to go through so much and approved her in the office with a print out. 

The odd thing is that you were asked, did your interviewer bring it up?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
10 minutes ago, shaolincrane said:

You had at the end a great outcome, after this horrible situation, that's all that matters! 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

The odd thing is that you were asked, did your interviewer bring it up?

She did, she said she saw we had a pending K1 Application but then the AOS Application. 

She said "makes sense, I'm just required to ask in this situation, congratulations on your marriage and your dress is absolutely gorgeous. It's clear you have a long history together. Welcome to the United States"

Our interviewer was great, she was quite dry while asking the required questions but once she had her answers really loosened up and told us her father lived in Japan for 16 years and that she hopes to go one day too.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Just a box to tick, not a lot of difference adjust from a K than the VWP as far as they are concerned.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Caligirl1 said:

You had at the end a great outcome, after this horrible situation, that's all that matters! 

Exactly what I tell my wife every day. She's my gift in an otherwise terrible situation because if we weren't together up till now it would have made everything immensely worse I'm sure.

Plus there were all of 8 people in Las Vegas and we pretty much had the entire Las Vegas sign to ourselves for pictures. Something that probably wouldn't not happen now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.