LJVotolato

Waiting for AOS/EAD - how do people spend these 6-9 months without work?

109 posts in this topic

It is very frustrating, there is no two ways about it.

For me, I kind of gave myself “off” the time I knew I’d be out of action for - at the time I applied it was around 6 months. So during the days, relaxing, nurturing some hobbies (language learning, exercising, exploring my new city, catching up on tv i hadn’t had time for the last couple of years), I joined some clubs (made a couple friends), made a real effort to get to know my wife’s friends, embraced doing household stuff to support my wife while she works. Do you drive? That was massive for my autonomy - I live in a very walkable area but even so - it has given me so much freedom.

Even with all that stuff it gets boring eventually. I started getting antsy at the end of the 6 months I’d originally given myself. In think my wife saw this so we took a little staycation and then since getting back I have spent time thinking about getting back to work, updating resume, and being a bit grumpy. EAD/AoS comes for everyone eventually but I fully sympathise that the intervening period is a challenge. You’ll get there :)

I have not gone through the K1 visa process. 

But, I had a plan to be unemployed for 6 months. 

I lasted ONE MONTH before looking for a new job. 

People really do underestimate the value of work. 

ETA: If you can enroll in a college or short course. I would 100% do that. 

It will allow you to meet people and give you some structure to your day.

Also check to see if your local library or community center has some free programs you can explore. 

Edited by ROK2USA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

When my wife arrived on a K1 we had no issues with this. she started language school a week after arriving, then after about 2 months of that, she enrolled in the school she needed to get certified and licensed in her current field of work. course was 20 weeks, plus 80 hours or more of hands on training, and then a State exam after all of that, so it worked out well for us ( Granted EAD/AP was only like a 5-6 month wait then max). Another plus obviously we live in a pretty popular city with decent public transportation options and limitless things to do (Vegas), so it wasn't as bad for her. If you are stuck at home in a middle of nowhere location with nothing to do, I can see it being an issue. Like others have said, you have to find something to keep busy, and tough it out.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

16 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

When my wife arrived on a K1 we had no issues with this. she started language school a week after arriving, then after about 2 months of that, she enrolled in the school she needed to get certified and licensed in her current field of work. course was 20 weeks, plus 80 hours or more of hands on training, and then a State exam after all of that, so it worked out well for us ( Granted EAD/AP was only like a 5-6 month wait then max). Another plus obviously we live in a pretty popular city with decent public transportation options and limitless things to do (Vegas), so it wasn't as bad for her. If you are stuck at home in a middle of nowhere location with nothing to do, I can see it being an issue. Like others have said, you have to find something to keep busy, and tough it out.

I do want to say I think the "study at university/college" is not the greatest advice for people proficient in English/in their late 20s. 

I took a university class in my late 20s when I wasn't working and it was torture as it gave me something to do during the day but all my classmates were in their late teens and I made ZERO friends. And the course work was super easy. 

I spent the majority of my day at the gym/working out. 

Ran a half marathon after that course... so if you have the drive... train for a half or a full marathon #jokingnotjoking

8 minutes ago, MalinRonja said:

Not sure, if I'm an exception... but I had absolutely no problem with being unemployed for months. Lol

When I arrived, I tried to make myself feel at home. I tidied up, cleaned, painted every room of the house, fixed broken things, started woodworking, built shelves, worked in the yard, and so on... I did everything that I never had the time or energy for when I was still living in Germany.

I live in a very rural area. So, I also explored the woods, went hiking, etc. Then after a few weeks, I also adopted a dog from the shelter and spend all my free time with him. I built him a fence, bed, an agility trail, etc...

Time actually flew by.

Wish I could have been unemployed even longer. I didn't get everything done that I wanted to get done 😁

You are living my dream. 

I so want to do agility training with my eventual dog but we live in an urban area so it costs $70 per lesson 

and we we won't have the space to create our own trail. 

4 minutes ago, MarJhi said:

Yeah my fiance wants a dog too so I think that is going to happen when she gets here. Plus she is an organizer and a cook so I know she can't wait to dig into my cabinets/closets and start correcting my poor organizational  skills. She is fascinated by the junk drawer in the kitchen and really wants to get her hands on it. I keep telling her a junk drawer is an American tradition and every household has one, but she wants to eliminate that mess. 

"Junk Drawers" might be something I teach my ESL students.... teaching English isn't just teaching language. We teach culture, too! 

Edited by ROK2USA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.