LJVotolato

Waiting for AOS/EAD - how do people spend these 6-9 months without work?

109 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, MalinRonja said:

I took some random stuff with me when I moved... and I only had 3 suitcases in total. And sent one box with books overseas before I left. That's it.

Took an old tin sign with me that I got from my grandparents when I was in elementary school.

Also, I actually do have one of my old phones with me here. Never used it. Isn't even a smartphone... can't even use it here because of the incompatibility of the sim cards or whatever it is. Lol

I moved to Korea with one suitcase and a guitar. I now have two guitars and two suitcases... 

10 minutes ago, MalinRonja said:

Okay, well that message made me laugh out loud. That's hilarious! 😂

My husband loves NBA and I swear every other halftime show is a dog doing tricks. We just watched an awesome show with a chihuahua. 

Google "Christian and Scooby". 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I can recommend a few...my husband got a puppy and trained him to do things i didnt know dogs could be that smart....he also started learning computer programing languages (python etc) . He brainstormed a business idea which is presently in the works since he got his EAD. He also exercised everyday, read every book in the house.....made me delicious meals....Bought an old car (Toyota camry 2010) from auctions and fixed it in the garage all by himself. The car turned out to be a life saver with current gas prices.

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
3 hours ago, MalinRonja said:

I built him a fence, bed, an agility trail, etc...

Hey, I have a puppy and a yard! Please build one for me!

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Back in the day (2017) when our journey started  K-1 was the promoted visa.  Little did I know that we would so deeply regret that choice.  15 months to approve AOS and at the cost of over $2500,00 for fees and repeat of fees.  That does not take into consideration all the frustration and unnecessary B.S. that USCIS causes by not being able to answer correctly the most fundamental questions.  CR1 may have problems unique to its self but still the best way to go.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
4 hours ago, MalinRonja said:

Not sure, if I'm an exception... but I had absolutely no problem with being unemployed for months. Lol

When I arrived, I tried to make myself feel at home. I tidied up, cleaned, painted every room of the house, fixed broken things, started woodworking, built shelves, worked in the yard, and so on... I did everything that I never had the time or energy for when I was still living in Germany.

I live in a very rural area. So, I also explored the woods, went hiking, etc. Then after a few weeks, I also adopted a dog from the shelter and spend all my free time with him. I built him a fence, bed, an agility trail, etc...

Time actually flew by.

Wish I could have been unemployed even longer. I didn't get everything done that I wanted to get done 😁

I absolutely love your response. I talk alot to my fiancé about this and have assured him that everything will be just fine. Plus, I think he could really use this break. Truth is, when he starts working I will eventually transition to working from home in order to raise our future children. This down time is also a great opportunity to prepare oneself for employment. Look into business endeavors, make connections, research, relax and help out at home and make the weekends little vacations. We're still waiting on our freaken NOA 2 so I can't wait til we are at the AOS phase. 

Wishing everyone a happy life with the one you love ♥️

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
42 minutes ago, MalinRonja said:

I built everything out of old barnwood... you've got some? Lol

What state do you live in?

The Buckeye State!

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

One thing you can do while waiting for work authorization is get your driver's license.  In my state, even if you had a license before you still have to take a driver's education course in order to get your license here. Check on your state's rules.

Timeline
13 hours ago, African Zealot said:

Some spend their time regretting not going the CR1 route 😂🤣😂.  I don’t recommend it though 

Zero regrets, I make a decision and go with it. I don't switch checkout lanes in the grocery store either. 😁

Timeline
15 hours ago, martinzl said:

One thing you can do while waiting for work authorization is get your driver's license.  In my state, even if you had a license before you still have to take a driver's education course in order to get your license here. Check on your state's rules.

What state are you in? We have been trying to get mine but they won’t allow me until I get my 485 receipt

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 5/15/2022 at 10:44 AM, Sparkle Sparkle said:

I can recommend a few...my husband got a puppy and trained him to do things i didnt know dogs could be that smart....he also started learning computer programing languages (python etc) . He brainstormed a business idea which is presently in the works since he got his EAD. He also exercised everyday, read every book in the house.....made me delicious meals....Bought an old car (Toyota camry 2010) from auctions and fixed it in the garage all by himself. The car turned out to be a life saver with current gas prices.

Thank you! Ugh, I have a very general skillset to apply for my next job. I wish I was in a more specific area like computer programming so I could really develop skills in a specific area.

I do workout basically every day and learned some video software skills but I wish I was your husband~!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 5/15/2022 at 8:02 AM, ROK2USA said:

I do want to say I think the "study at university/college" is not the greatest advice for people proficient in English/in their late 20s. 

I took a university class in my late 20s when I wasn't working and it was torture as it gave me something to do during the day but all my classmates were in their late teens and I made ZERO friends. And the course work was super easy. 

I spent the majority of my day at the gym/working out. 

Ran a half marathon after that course... so if you have the drive... train for a half or a full marathon #jokingnotjoking

Thanks a lot. I'm 36 and English is my first language so no need to develop more skills there! I also worked in a very general field and plan to do so - I wish I was in a more specific discipline so I can learn or take a course on that for my future job!

I've already ran a marathon but yes I exercise daily although I used to do that even with a full-time job! But yes, for non-runners, I would really recommend picking up working out/running!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.