LJVotolato

Waiting for AOS/EAD - how do people spend these 6-9 months without work?

109 posts in this topic

I spent my time setting up things like SSN, getting a Driver’s License, opening a bank account, and working on my CV and job applications. Luckily my EAD application was very fast - applied in February and had my card by the end of March - so things seem to be getting better. Shout out to our patient and understanding partners who put up with us not having an income for some time!

On 5/15/2022 at 6:21 AM, LJVotolato said:

I'm getting frustrated waiting for my AOS approval and just want to assure that I am not realizing something that everyone else here is. Do people really NOT work for those 6-9 months it takes for your AOS to be approved? I applied for my EAD with my AOS in December 2021 and it says the case is pending.

So how do you spend your days? Legit question. I have tons of hobbies but not being able to work and not being able to go back home (since I don't have my advance parole)  is very frustrating. Seems like a silly question, I know I know. I've waited months to ask it for that very reason.

Hello, I understand your frustration in regards of not having a green card or EAD for now, i waited for almost 10 months before I get my ead and gc.. what I did is I just take my time from waiting, do my resume, research and learn new things.. i know you get bored in a daily basis but once you start working, you will be so busy and wanting to have a break from working. Just see it this way, your case is just pending and not rejected or something.. waiting time right now is longer than the previous year due to pandemic. So be patient and enjoy every moment that you have right now, once you get busy you will miss this kind of time. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 5/15/2022 at 4:21 AM, LJVotolato said:

I'm getting frustrated waiting for my AOS approval and just want to assure that I am not realizing something that everyone else here is. Do people really NOT work for those 6-9 months it takes for your AOS to be approved? I applied for my EAD with my AOS in December 2021 and it says the case is pending.

So how do you spend your days? Legit question. I have tons of hobbies but not being able to work and not being able to go back home (since I don't have my advance parole)  is very frustrating. Seems like a silly question, I know I know. I've waited months to ask it for that very reason.

6-9months??

That would've been a dream!

We waited 11 months 2/2021 - 1/2022 and had to expedite to get his EAD - and yes, we waited for him to work - even though he has his SS#...because those are the RULES you agree to when you immigrate legally.  And if you think Homeland Security doesn't know/find out that you work/ed illegally - think again.  They do their research!

He waited a total of 14 months to be able to work from arrival to EAD approval and he did all sorts of things, from cooking and household chores to keeping in touch with his family/friends  back home, all while I worked 50-70 hour weeks to keep us afloat financially.  

The wait is frustrating,  but count your blessings and make plans for the future.  It will happen before you know it.

I was wating for almost 2 years before I got my EAD and green card. I applied just right after pandemic started. I was very busy in Ukraine working full time and study so it felt like a complete stop for me. A couple month after my arrival to the States I have started English as a Second Language classes, then got to English for Academic Purposes Classes at a local community college. We live in the metropolitan area, so buses not really go there, or going twice a day. I walked almost every day for about an hour, cooked, did all other home chores. My main issue was that I felt that I have nothing documentation wise, having limited opportunities, no state issued ID, EAD or other. I could't do very much things. I got my documents about a year ago and now study full-time at the community college and work 37 hours per week in between two jobs part-time. My husband was telling me I will miss those days when I was sitting home but I still like to be busy better. This period was temporary and I tried my best to enjoy it as much as I can. I feel much better now  having all documents and able to work and study, about to get my driver's licence.

Edited by Nastya_7smile

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, Nastya_7smile said:

I was wating for almost 2 years before I got my EAD and green card. I applied just right after pandemic started. I was very busy in Ukraine working full time and study so it felt like a complete stop for me. A couple month after my arrival to the States I have started English as a Second Language classes, then got to English for Academic Purposes Classes at a local community college. We live in the motro area, so buses not really go there, or going twice a day. I walked almost every day for about an hour, cooked, did all other home chores. My main issue was that I felt that I have nothing documentation wise, having limited opportunities, no state issued ID, EAD or other. I could't do very much things. I got my documents about a year ago and now study full-time at the community college and work 37 hours per week in between two jobs part-time. My husband was telling me I will mss those days when I was sitting home but I still like to be busy better. This period was temporary and I tried my best to enjoy it as much as I can. I feel much better now  having all documents and able to work and study, about to get my driver's licence.

TWO YEARS? That's insane! Everyone told me 6-9 months? I'm in California...

English is my first language so I don't need to learn it at all but that is a very good use of your time!

8 minutes ago, LJVotolato said:

English is my first language so I don't need to learn it at all but that is a very good use of your time!

We applied a couple month later after our wedding and they returned my documents a couple of times. So actually they accepted on June 2020 and I received my green card on April 2021. Due Pandemic it was longer than usual. A friend of mine that also lives in Kansas received her green card within about 6 month in 2022.

Edited by Nastya_7smile

Timeline
On 6/5/2022 at 2:27 PM, Ian88 said:

I spent my time setting up things like SSN, getting a Driver’s License, opening a bank account, and working on my CV and job applications. Luckily my EAD application was very fast - applied in February and had my card by the end of March - so things seem to be getting better. Shout out to our patient and understanding partners who put up with us not having an income for some time!

WAIT, no way, you applied in February 2022 and got the card end of March? I applied in December in California!!!

45 minutes ago, LJVotolato said:

WAIT, no way, you applied in February 2022 and got the card end of March? I applied in December in California!!!

Yes. I just got my Green Card on Friday. I am in Orange County - my local office is Santa Ana. Not sure if they’re just more efficient, or have less traffic? Who knows.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Ian88 said:

Yes. I just got my Green Card on Friday. I am in Orange County - my local office is Santa Ana. Not sure if they’re just more efficient, or have less traffic? Who knows.

Wow, that's insane. And to be 100% clear, you applied fro 485 (adjustment of status)? I'm so jealous and bewildered.

2 minutes ago, LJVotolato said:

Wow, that's insane. And to be 100% clear, you applied fro 485 (adjustment of status)? I'm so jealous and bewildered.

Yes. I filed 485, 765, and 131 in the same package. I entered on a K1 visa. The only thing I did that may be slightly outside the norm was not check the SSN box as I was already in the process of getting it from SSA.

Timeline
Just now, Ian88 said:

Yes. I filed 485, 765, and 131 in the same package. I entered on a K1 visa. The only thing I did that may be slightly outside the norm was not check the SSN box as I was already in the process of getting it from SSA.

Those are the three I applied for back in December.

Thank you for letting me know.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 6/8/2022 at 8:17 AM, LJVotolato said:

There are a lot of field offices in California, and processing times can vary a lot (though that's for your green card; EAD and AP are processed at the National Benefits center for everyone) among them.

When we were in that part of the process, Fresno was very fast (like 3 months to green), San Diego (which is our office) was pretty fast (my wife got her green card in 5 months), the LA & SF offices were very slow (SF was pushing two years!), and the other LA & SF area offices were faster than the one in the city proper but still on the slow side. I don't know how things look now.

It's a common misperception that states matter to processing times; field offices matter (for things handled at your local office). There are some states where everyone goes to one field office, but there are a lot of states with multiple field offices (and some field offices handle parts of multiple states).

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

There’s a lot of things you can do in that AOS period. I was stuck at home when Covid just hit for like a year and couldn’t leave the house bcoz I have no driver’s license yet. But you need to have a BIG amount of patience during this time. Do something like gardening, baking, watch some vlogs or movies, read and etc. Or go out and do some camping this summer. Explore your neighborhood or the state you live in. I promise you as long as you enjoyed each other’s company. Time will fly so fast and you’ll going to miss those time once you started working. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Reannie said:

There’s a lot of things you can do in that AOS period. I was stuck at home when Covid just hit for like a year and couldn’t leave the house bcoz I have no driver’s license yet. But you need to have a BIG amount of patience during this time. Do something like gardening, baking, watch some vlogs or movies, read and etc. Or go out and do some camping this summer. Explore your neighborhood or the state you live in. I promise you as long as you enjoyed each other’s company. Time will fly so fast and you’ll going to miss those time once you started working. 

I've been doing all that but it's been 7 months now. 

How long did it take you to get your AOS approved?

3 hours ago, LJVotolato said:

I've been doing all that but it's been 7 months now. 

How long did it take you to get your AOS approved?

I applied in Sept 21 and got GC in May 22.

Have you tried chatting to Emma to see where your AoS case is? Little trick is that when it is recommended for an interview, the status on My USCIS doesn't change but the agents on Live Chat can tell you that it has. It doesn't make any real difference, and they can't expedite it or tell you when the interview is scheduled, but for me it was nice to know at least that my case had moved a little more than I thought and it was now down to my local FO rather than NBC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.