LJVotolato

Waiting for AOS/EAD - how do people spend these 6-9 months without work?

109 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
9 hours ago, AW1704 said:

I applied in Sept 21 and got GC in May 22.

Have you tried chatting to Emma to see where your AoS case is? Little trick is that when it is recommended for an interview, the status on My USCIS doesn't change but the agents on Live Chat can tell you that it has. It doesn't make any real difference, and they can't expedite it or tell you when the interview is scheduled, but for me it was nice to know at least that my case had moved a little more than I thought and it was now down to my local FO rather than NBC.

OK so it took you 8 months! That gives me hope because it seems like so many people are getting it in 3-4 months (I'm waiting at 6 months now.)

I did NOT think of chatting to Emma. I don't know what that means but I'll google it and make sure to do that, thank you!

Did you have any RFEs?

1 hour ago, LJVotolato said:

OK so it took you 8 months! That gives me hope because it seems like so many people are getting it in 3-4 months (I'm waiting at 6 months now.)

I did NOT think of chatting to Emma. I don't know what that means but I'll google it and make sure to do that, thank you!

Did you have any RFEs?

Yep, one RFE for me, came around 6 weeks after I sent the packet, asking for my birth certificate (which I had of course already sent, lol).

Hope you get some good news soon! Full solidarity with you and your frustrating wait. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, AW1704 said:

Yep, one RFE for me, came around 6 weeks after I sent the packet, asking for my birth certificate (which I had of course already sent, lol).

Hope you get some good news soon! Full solidarity with you and your frustrating wait. 

That's exactly what happened to me (they asked for something 100% I already sent). I uploaded it right away (same time as you). Ack, if I just even knew it would take only another 2 months, I wouldn't be as frustrated but when you look at the estimated wait times, it says up to 22 months for California? How can that even be the case?!?!

8 hours ago, LJVotolato said:

That's exactly what happened to me (they asked for something 100% I already sent). I uploaded it right away (same time as you). Ack, if I just even knew it would take only another 2 months, I wouldn't be as frustrated but when you look at the estimated wait times, it says up to 22 months for California? How can that even be the case?!?!

Yeah, seems there are a lot of parts of the system that could be improved, with RFEs and waiting times being just two of them. Hopefully, if nothing else, your EAD will come soon. You could always try and expedite, too - I am sure there are people in the AoS forums that could help you with that from direct experience - the two reasons that come up a lot are financial hardship or job offer, and it seems that USCIS are generally pretty receptive to genuine expedite requests.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** one unhelpful, bickering post removed. If you don't have anything contributing to say, do not post.  If you feel another post is against the TOS (it was not), report it, do not engage in-thread. *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Here's an idea to help pass time productively and to prepare yourself for finding work.  (Most Covid restrictions should have been lifted by now.)

Each city has a Chamber of Commerce.  Find it.

Once you find it, talk with the secretary -- tell her that you want a schedule of events and let her know that you'd like to attend.

Then, go in person to the Chamber of Commerce Office.  Talk with the President of the Chamber, and tell him/her that you want to volunteer at several of their events.

Attendees at chamber events are business owners and sales geeks, all looking for new business.  It usually is an informal-enough gathering where you can approach people and talk with them.

Now, the cool thing about being a volunteer there is that you will be talking to everyone at least once -- you might be at the reception table, you might be at the greeters' table, you might help to run the audio/video system -- whatever -- but the point is that you can meet everyone there, face to face.

Attend 2 or 3 of these, and folk remember you.  When folk remember you, they will remember you are seeking employment and will consider you, because you're just not some name on a piece of paper -- they met you at a chamber event and know that you were volunteering, helping out the chamber.

If you're not authorized to work yet, you can make some good contacts and personal friends.

(Do you live in a really small town?  Go to the biggest town that's within 15 miles of your house.)

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
On 6/14/2022 at 1:33 AM, AW1704 said:

I applied in Sept 21 and got GC in May 22.

Have you tried chatting to Emma to see where your AoS case is? Little trick is that when it is recommended for an interview, the status on My USCIS doesn't change but the agents on Live Chat can tell you that it has. It doesn't make any real difference, and they can't expedite it or tell you when the interview is scheduled, but for me it was nice to know at least that my case had moved a little more than I thought and it was now down to my local FO rather than NBC.

So at your behest, I looked into this. Emma was a bot I think so I didn't go through that but I did email them and after 22 days they responded with this image below. 

I'm really hoping this means I will get my interview date soon!

Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 11.59.25 AM.png

13 hours ago, LJVotolato said:

So at your behest, I looked into this. Emma was a bot I think so I didn't go through that but I did email them and after 22 days they responded with this image below. 

I'm really hoping this means I will get my interview date soon!

Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 11.59.25 AM.png

Nice! Hopefully your FO is able to schedule an interview for you soon.

Also - yes, Emma is a bot, but if you talk to it 8-4 ET (I think) Monday - Friday and ask for Live Agent, you can often get through to a real person.

Happy for you that you have some progress! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 5/15/2022 at 6:48 AM, Crazy Cat said:

It is not a silly question.  It is one of the major drawbacks of a K-1 and/or adjusting status.  It seems many people place little concern on the front end, then anguish during this "limbo" period.  It is worth mentioning.  

Some people had little choice due to covid-related border closures, some of which lasted over a year and other closures that continue to this day. I was ineligible for the exception Canada made for (non-married) significant others of Canadian citizens and PRs as my partner was in the country as a student. Canada was not allowing re-entry for students with a valid student visa if their program moved online as a result of COVID. In most cases, K-1 is not the way to go, but there are exceptions, especially during the peak of the COVID era.

2 hours ago, Jovany&Divya said:

i didn't know much around the progress i left it to my partner in usa but i came out in k1 at first i thought it will be easy but now i am slowly having a hard time not working mostly since job offers are coming but not much i can do with it 

You can request an EAD expedite with a job offer letter. Seems to work most of the time 

Just now, Jovany&Divya said:

thanks i have tried that waiting to hear back good my partner is earning and supporting but mentally it's hard for me to sit around and do nothing 

Yes, I understand that completely. Went through AOS as well. I hope the expedite works!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

When my Husband arrived, I gave him several options including paid classes and such, he decided to do nothing but stay at home and program on the computer. He did so much into it that months later he became much better at it.

Now he got a programming job. I tried to get him out every once in awhile for something simple like Pokemon Go, it's great for us so far. While I go around meeting random people and knows who to have as a back up for things like welding things back into place for us when we broke something, etc.

Also: 

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-...]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

For many of us, work is a part of life. Not in the American way of “work harder longer faster” but rather if we enjoy the things we do, the careers we’ve been training all our lives for, I find it inhumane to not allow one to work legally. My wife has been waiting about 7 months for EAD/AP now, its been a struggle. Summer has been good to us but winter in the midwest just makes people that much more depressed. 

If you’re in a business mood and handy like myself, I don’t see why you couldn’t buy/rehab/sell stuff from Goodwill/ebay/restore/local shops. Heck, rehab a house if you have the money. See if your fiance has any friends/family that need something painting or new flooring put in. Volunteer work is great to meet new people - can also join sports clubs/teams. If you don’t like people, animal shelters are your best bet 😉 Hope that gives you some ideas!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.