Ryan76

Bomb drop...in-laws want to immigrate to USA. HELP

105 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I'm American, married to a Colombian since 2012. We live in the US. We have a very happy marriage. And I am REALLY stressing out right now.

On June 10 my wife's mom, sister and brother all came to visit, which is a lot for our tiny little house, and a lot for me to deal with. For a couple weeks, okay that would be great, but they are staying two months, which is just absurd to me.  In the past they have never stayed more than 10 days or so. I do like them and want my wife to be happy, but this is VERY difficult for me.

In latin culture it can be normal to have several people packed in a small living area, but for me...the complete lack of privacy and peace and quiet is very hard to deal with. Not to mention how much extra money we are spending. (Plus i'm the only one who drives.) So more or less all of our routines and our life in general is completely upside down right now. Everything from planning meals to going to the grocery store is a major project.

So last night a bomb drops, my wife tells me that her mom and sister keep asking if we can "help them move" here...i guess at some point in the next couple years.  In the past 10 years there's never been ANY talk of them wanting to leave Colombia. Ever.

This would involve them "living with us for a while." Until the sister has a job and apartment. 

The mom is 60, has zero money, and hasn't worked in years.  I've never understood this, but apparently older people in Colombia just don't work.  The sister currently has a really good job, and lives with and pays for the mother. Her work medical insurance even covers her mother.

I briefly tried to explain how much different,  and more expensive things will be for her in the USA. Like how in the USA a 60 year old woman cannot be on her daughter's work insurance.  And my wife and i are by no means wealthy and basically live paycheck to paycheck.

Also the sister doesn't drive and her English is pretty bad.

For some context, No matter what we do with them...like planning vacations for example, they never think things through, or make good plans.  It's always just a blind leap and hoping they figure it out along the way.

I feel like i could write for hours about all this, but in general it just seems like a terrible idea to me, and i'm terrified about all this.  I feel like they have no comprehension of how long it could take for the sister to find a good job and get on her feet, as well as how much more expensive it will be for her to pay for everything for her mother.  My wife has this idea that they would only need to stay with us for a couple months.  I feel like it could take a year or longer. Who really knows.

I don't even know what i'm thinking.  And it's hard to talk about it with my wife.  I have to choose every word carefully because obviously this is her mom and sister and she loves them.  But i don't think she grasps how this would radically change our life, and i don't think the sister and mom are even remotely thinking about all the details and ramifications.

And for what it's worth, in Colombia they live in a very nice apartment in a beautiful city.  It's not like they're in some terrible situation that they need to escape.  If that were true i would think differently about all this.  But they have a good life down there.

Another important piece in all of this is that the sister has been struggling emotionally for a while. She's been making terrible decisions, she's dated 3 guys who have all had wives or girlfriends, then she gets devastated when they break it off. It's a long story but even my wife admits that everything with her is messy.  I feel like telling her she needs to see a therapist and get some things worked out before making any drastic life altering decisions.

I know this is a huge stressful rant, i'm not even sure if i'm looking for advice or what...but has anyone been in a situation like this???  Does this seem like i'm a  selfish ####### for having these thoughts? What do i do here?  Part of me just wants to ignore it and hope they get back to Colombia and change their minds. I'm just imagining how all these scenarios could play out and it's driving me crazy. 

Timeline
34 minutes ago, canadian_wife said:

The thing that jumps out to me is the assumption mother/father and sister will all immigrate at the same time.  If this is the case, then all will come in around 10 years (sibling visas take that long)

If parents come first, you will be looking at supporting and (possibly) living with mother/father for years until sister arrives on her sibling visa.  

Am I looking at this correctly?

Sorry if some of my ramblings weren't clear.  There is no father.  It is the sister and mother who are talking about immigrating here. They have always lived together...pretty sure they come as a package deal.

4 minutes ago, Ryan76 said:

Thanks.  Maybe the starting point is that i tell my wife about the sibling / F4 category taking 10-15 years.   That could completely change their minds.

But yes ...deep breaths.  Thanks again.  I will update if/when anything else happens.

Good luck because I know how hard it is to deal with *ahem* "difficult" family members (we have them on both sides...mine AND my husband). And who knows??? Maybe your wife isn't even all that up for it anyways. And there's the chance that your in-law's will forget about the whole thing and never bring it up again. But you still should talk to your wife because in the case that it DOES come up again, you and your wife have to have a game plan and be on the same page about it and present a united front.

Timeline
51 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

You said you live paycheck to paycheck, so if you and your wife are the sole financial sponsors, the medical insurance for your MIL by itself could be a big problem to overcome, and may even require a joint sponsor who would have to help pay for the health insurance.  Health insurance for older immigrants can be very very expensive.  So do more research on that so you are well informed before starting down this path.  The high cost of health insurance alone may be enough for your wife to hesitate on petitioning for her mother.  Good luck!

Thanks.  I don't know if "paycheck to paycheck" is the best descriptor, technically we are able to save a little each month, in addition to 401ks, etc, but we certainly couldn't afford to add on a several hundred dollar insurance policy plus a few hundred more in groceries and everything else.

They were talking as if the sister will be paying for the mother. I have no idea.  Like i said earlier,  maybe this all goes away when they learn that the sibling visas take 10-15 years.

Thanks for the advice

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.