CoriandPhilemon

Strange times (Nigeria)

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello community. 

I am in Oregon in the middle of all these fires and I am looking for small pieces of hope, and a bit of guidance. 

This might be repetitive since I’ve posted here before but I’m at a loss. 

As I understand it, the immigration system here in the US is at a complete standstill. My fiancé and I haven’t even sent in our I-129F because the embassies and state borders aren’t open. Should we send our packet anyway? Would it be better to wait? Does anyone know anything? I read about it tirelessly but I am just going in circles. We only want to be together. I plan to travel there to see him again regardless of the visa situation, but it’s been 6 months since we were together and there’s no end in sight. We need a new plan and I don’t know where to start. Thanks in advance. 🙏🏻

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

There is no advantage to waiting for things to open up, you still have to proceed with getting your place in line. If you want to proceed with the I129F I would encourage you to file ASAP. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
9 hours ago, CoriandPhilemon said:

Hello community. 

I am in Oregon in the middle of all these fires and I am looking for small pieces of hope, and a bit of guidance. 

As I understand it, the immigration system here in the US is at a complete standstill. My fiancé and I haven’t even sent in our I-129F because the embassies and state borders aren’t open. Should we send our packet anyway? Would it be better to wait? Does anyone know anything? I read about it tirelessly but I am just going in circles. We only want to be together. I plan to travel there to see him again regardless of the visa situation, but it’s been 6 months since we were together and there’s no end in sight. We need a new plan and I don’t know where to start. Thanks in advance. 🙏🏻

Hi there! I'm just curious what your reasoning for waiting is? The longer you wait, the further back in the line you will get and petitions in front of you will get approved before you.

Found love, thought I wanted this path, two years later realized my partner was not worth all the stress 😁

Timeline
51 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

You first started working on the I-129F petition back in April, that was five months ago.  If you had filed back then, your petition might be near approval by now, as USCIS has been actively working on them all this time, and you would be in line for a visa interview at the consulate or embassy abroad once they start opening back up.  By the time the interview would be scheduled early next year things may change in Nigeria as well and the ban might be lifted.

File immediately and start the process.  If you have a solid application you might get approved in 2021.  If that doesn't work, get married in Nigeria and try for a CR-1 spousal visa, as this is a pretty common backup plan for Nigeria.  It's good that you are planning more visits to spend more time in person together as that evidence will help for both K-1 or possible CR-1 application.

Sorry that you are experiencing wildfires up there in Oregon.  We have gone through similar crazy times here in Northern California.  We even had to evacuate our home a few weeks ago for three days, thankfully our house was spared and we are back.

Good luck!

Yes... it took me longer than expected to get the documentation together that I needed and then when COVID hit the US embassy In Lagos closed and we weren’t sure if it would be wise to send in an application if he can’t travel outside of his state to get the medical exam or paperwork needed or attend the interview due to lockdowns. We didn’t want to start the process only to be struck down midway. Apparently this was a misunderstanding on my part, and now I am feeling really sorry that I somehow missed the mark on all this. As of today, our packet is ready to go so I will be submitting it and hoping for the best. Even now, to my knowledge, the embassy remains closed. I didn’t realize that submitting the application held our place in line. I was under the impression that everything was wiped back to ground zero until further notice. I am so mad at myself now. 
but anyway, thank you for the support. I’ll be mailing it out today!

Timeline
8 hours ago, Sparkle Sparkle said:

Common its been months and you still holding on to that packet?....I thought we already told you in your previous post to send it ASAP?...its been at least 2-3 months now?

Don’t be rude. 😟 you guys did tell me that but it was before covid got really serious and we’re trying to be careful. There’s a lot going on. We’ve both had stress at work and sickness and all kinds of things so I’m just trying to be careful and not miss any details. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
51 minutes ago, CoriandPhilemon said:

Don’t be rude. 😟 you guys did tell me that but it was before covid got really serious and we’re trying to be careful. There’s a lot going on. We’ve both had stress at work and sickness and all kinds of things so I’m just trying to be careful and not miss any details. 

I honestly don't think the reply above was *that* rude, it gets tiring giving advice and people not following it.

Even if you don't like what you hear, hurrying you to get that petition filed is in your best interest.

I wonder how many people have already sent their application since you asked that question in April? All of those applicants will be ahead of you in the process.

Sorry you realized you misunderstood, there's no point in beating yourself up just send it asap.

Service Center: Texas Service Center SRC

Consulate: Juarez, Mexico

I-130 NOA1: 2019/03/21

I-130 NOA2: 2019/09/17

NVC DQ: 2020/01/21

Visa Approved: 2021/07/01

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
12 hours ago, CoriandPhilemon said:

Hello community. 

Waiting hasn't and does not provide any benefit to you nor your fiancé unless you weren't prepared/met the requirement to send the packet. 

So no, waiting only puts everyone else who filed in the last 6 months ahead of you. 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

3 hours ago, carmel34 said:

By the time the interview would be scheduled early next year things may change in Nigeria as well and the ban might be lifted.

Reminder that K-1 for Nigerian nationals isn't affected by PP 9983 because K-1 is nonimmigrant: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/presidential-proclamation-archive/presidential-proclamation9645.html?wcmmode=disabled

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You've looked into benefits of K-1 vs CR-1? I'd go for CR-1 as time differences like 3 months. That helps you avoid another 1.5 years of USCIS AOS headaches. @Lucky Cat always has a good breakdown.

1 hour ago, usernameosas said:

Hello house This is actually my first time on this group and i find it more enlighten. I’m FB-1 category and my priority date is August 17 2015, i will like to know when I’m likely to get my welcome letter.

Start your own thread. Don't hijack.

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
2 hours ago, CoriandPhilemon said:

Yes... it took me longer than expected to get the documentation together that I needed and then when COVID hit the US embassy In Lagos closed and we weren’t sure if it would be wise to send in an application if he can’t travel outside of his state to get the medical exam or paperwork needed or attend the interview due to lockdowns. We didn’t want to start the process only to be struck down midway. Apparently this was a misunderstanding on my part, and now I am feeling really sorry that I somehow missed the mark on all this. As of today, our packet is ready to go so I will be submitting it and hoping for the best. Even now, to my knowledge, the embassy remains closed. I didn’t realize that submitting the application held our place in line. I was under the impression that everything was wiped back to ground zero until further notice. I am so mad at myself now. 
but anyway, thank you for the support. I’ll be mailing it out today!

Wanted to add that you don't have to worry about the embassy at the moment. The first steps is to send the application to the Texas lockbox and then this info gets sent to your local processing center in Oregon. From there, the NVC/Lagos comes into a play. Sign up for the texts

I had a lawyer tell me the same thing, but I decided to just send it in and see what happens.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
4 minutes ago, HRQX said:

No. Almost all I-129F petitions for K-1 are processed at California Service Center. A few are processed at Vermont Service Center. https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

Oh yes, sorry good catch 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.