CoriandPhilemon

Strange times (Nigeria)

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
13 hours ago, CoriandPhilemon said:

Hello community. 

I am in Oregon in the middle of all these fires and I am looking for small pieces of hope, and a bit of guidance. 

This might be repetitive since I’ve posted here before but I’m at a loss. 

As I understand it, the immigration system here in the US is at a complete standstill. My fiancé and I haven’t even sent in our I-129F because the embassies and state borders aren’t open. Should we send our packet anyway? Would it be better to wait? Does anyone know anything? I read about it tirelessly but I am just going in circles. We only want to be together. I plan to travel there to see him again regardless of the visa situation, but it’s been 6 months since we were together and there’s no end in sight. We need a new plan and I don’t know where to start. Thanks in advance. 🙏🏻

Nothing pertinent to add except to say I'm in Oregon as well and there's a big Nigerian community here so your fiance will feel very much at home when they get here. I'm from Ghana but I'm friends with a lot of Nigerians here. And the wild fire is a mess! I'm in Clackamas county so I'm right dab in the middle of all the mess. Currently on evacuation level 2. Stay safe. I wish you and your fiance all the best.

~AOS : 09/11/2014 - 2 YR Green card received!.

~ROC 07/13/2017 - 10 YR Green card received!.

~N-400 : 10/28/2020 - N400 Interview & Approval/Oath Ceremony/US Citizen!

More Importantly, I am a proud Anti-Fascist!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
14 hours ago, CoriandPhilemon said:

Hello community. 

I am in Oregon in the middle of all these fires and I am looking for small pieces of hope, and a bit of guidance. 

As I understand it, the immigration system here in the US is at a complete standstill. My fiancé and I haven’t even sent in our I-129F because the embassies and state borders aren’t open. Should we send our packet anyway? Would it be better to wait? Does anyone know anything? I read about it tirelessly but I am just going in circles. We only want to be together. I plan to travel there to see him again regardless of the visa situation, but it’s been 6 months since we were together and there’s no end in sight. We need a new plan and I don’t know where to start. Thanks in advance. 🙏🏻

You can still file and hold your place in line. USCIS is still processing petitions just slowly. Nigeria is now open for international flights so go ahead and plan your visit 🙂. Please ensure you have read all the arrival protocols.

Timeline
3 hours ago, CoriandPhilemon said:

Yes... it took me longer than expected to get the documentation together that I needed and then when COVID hit the US embassy In Lagos closed and we weren’t sure if it would be wise to send in an application if he can’t travel outside of his state to get the medical exam or paperwork needed or attend the interview due to lockdowns. We didn’t want to start the process only to be struck down midway. Apparently this was a misunderstanding on my part, and now I am feeling really sorry that I somehow missed the mark on all this. As of today, our packet is ready to go so I will be submitting it and hoping for the best. Even now, to my knowledge, the embassy remains closed. I didn’t realize that submitting the application held our place in line. I was under the impression that everything was wiped back to ground zero until further notice. I am so mad at myself now. 
but anyway, thank you for the support. I’ll be mailing it out today!

The medical and police report comes after approval which is about 5 to 7 months after submission, even longer now. Most of the COVID related movement restrictions are being eased in Nigeria so when the time comes he will have no issues to get them taken care of. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
15 hours ago, CoriandPhilemon said:

Hello community. 

I don't know where you heard that, but USCIS has not stopped processing petitions.  The queue at NVC is getting longer every day.  File now......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

15 hours ago, CoriandPhilemon said:

As I understand it, the immigration system here in the US is at a complete standstill. 

No nothing at the USCIS Service Centers has stopped.  Nothing,  Now are they processing at 100% - no.  The service centers are not necessary running fully staffed due to state restrictions.  Waiting gives you no benefit.  It puts you behind every person that has filed before you.

USCIS will process your I-129F and sent it to the NVC.  The NVC will do their work which is very limited for a K1.  Your petition will be held at the NVC until consulate reopens and the consulate clears it's backlog.  Then it will be sent to the consulate.

It is always a good plan to send the petition as soon as you are ready to file.   Forms and fees get changed and re-arranged.  I find it easier to deal with the current forms and fees rather than waiting and guessing what they may change to.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Hijack post removed~~~

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

OP, if you do file now, will you be able to have another visit while you're waiting?  Lagos is not an easy embassy, and he will have a greater chance of approval if you've spent more time in person together.

Btw, stay safe!  I am in the Seattle area, and our air quality is second worst in the world right now (second to Portland).   I heard they had evacuated 500k people, 10% of the state of Oregon's population!  We are going to have our bags packed and be ready to evacuate if we need to.   Scary times.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

I only recently found out about Visa Journey and have been poring over the numbers.

I think you may find the info in the K1 Visa Timelines helpful and encouraging. Luckily the USCIS was only closed for in-person services.

• USCIS has been issuing NOA2s throughout 2020.
    • USCIS still shows turnaround time for CSC holding steady at 5-7 months.
    • The trending average time for CSC is 188 days
  • It looks like NVC has been receiving apps 
    • The timeline shows the transit time from USCIS to NVC is about a month.
    • The timeline shows a dormant period (May and June) for apps leaving NVC

The turnaround for an appointment at the embassy will likely get longer as the mail catches up. But at least you'd be in the backstretch of the visa process once your app is there. I imagine they would provide sufficient time to get the medical exam or help reschedule for a reasonable time.

If Nigeria is closed for US travelers at the time you want to visit, maybe you can meet in a country that has lifted some of their restrictions for each of the countries.

I hope my perspective is a little helpful and you submit your application soon.
Good luck!

Edited by p&g

Timeline
1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

OP, if you do file now, will you be able to have another visit while you're waiting?  Lagos is not an easy embassy, and he will have a greater chance of approval if you've spent more time in person together.

Btw, stay safe!  I am in the Seattle area, and our air quality is second worst in the world right now (second to Portland).   I heard they had evacuated 500k people, 10% of the state of Oregon's population!  We are going to have our bags packed and be ready to evacuate if we need to.   Scary times.

Yes we are hoping to have another visit once international travel is an option again! Hopefully by the time he goes for his interview we will have another trip under our belt. I would love to be there with him when he goes for his interview (i know I can’t attend but I’d love to be in Lagos with him at the time) but whether or not that will work remains to be seen. 

yes, it is very scary!! I hope you are also staying safe! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

Although I do have a question.. if we file now, and then have another visit, how will we reflect that visit at the interview if we’ve already submitted our I-129F? Can he take along a second file of supporting documentation?

23 minutes ago, CoriandPhilemon said:

Although I do have a question.. if we file now, and then have another visit, how will we reflect that visit at the interview if we’ve already submitted our I-129F? Can he take along a second file of supporting documentation?

You don't submit it but you can take it.  They don't have to look at it.  But he can mention things at the interview and it could be attached to the I-134 that get submitted at the interview.

Oh and definately do another visit if you can.

Edited by Paul & Mary

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
8 hours ago, CoriandPhilemon said:

Can he take along a second file of supporting documentation?

Of course......include it in the evidence demonstrating a continuing relationship.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
9 hours ago, CoriandPhilemon said:

Lagos is a tough embassy for K-1s.  Many are denied because of the high incidence of fraud, so the more evidence he takes to the visa interview the greater your chances for approval, if they ask about additional visits or ask for more evidence which often happens in Lagos.  The USCIS review of the I-129F petition is phase one of the process, takes about 6 or more months, and focuses on you and whether or not you qualify to petition for your fiance.  Then the visa interview is in Lagos a few months after petition approval, assuming they open up again for normal visa interviews and clear out the backlog because of the virus.  There is also currently a ban on many visas from Nigeria right now but waivers are considered at the visa interview at the discretion of the officer.  I suggest that you visit the Sub-Saharan forum and Lagos embassy reviews here on VJ to read about the detailed experiences of others.  The more you know, the greater your level of preparation and less frustration through the process.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/89-africa-sub-saharan/

https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Nigeria&page=1&dfilter=5&topic=

Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

Timeline
On 9/12/2020 at 12:13 AM, CoriandPhilemon said:

He can mention it at his interview as well as bringing photocopies of your passport stamps showing the new trip as well as pictures. Based on reviews I have seen usually the CO will ask how many times you’ve visited or when was the last time he saw you or some question along those lines. 

On 9/12/2020 at 7:24 AM, carmel34 said:

There is also currently a ban on many visas from Nigeria right now but waivers are considered at the visa interview at the discretion of the officer.

That isn't an issue for K-1: https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM030214.html "K Visas:  K visas are nonimmigrant visas and therefore are treated as such for PP 9645 purposes and not subject to PP 9983."

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-improving-enhanced-vetting-capabilities-processes-detecting-attempted-entry/ "I have decided not to impose any nonimmigrant visa restrictions for the newly identified countries, which substantially reduces the number of people affected by the proposed restrictions."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.