patis

My fiance got denied boarding with a valid K-1 Visa, transiting through Paris

95 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Detron said:

Another issue is also USCIS officers are currently facing a furlough. Around 13,000 employees have or about to receive notices on that.

USCIS is separate from DHS, so the furloughs will not impact travel.

2 hours ago, lucardo3 said:

I have multiple friends flew from and to Istanbul to the US multiple times. Not sure about K1 visa though.

Anyone with a K-1 issued before April 22 (which will be almost all current K-1 holders because embassies have been closed) can travel to the US. But K-1 holders cannot travel through Europe as they do not fall under the limited exceptions for travel from Europe. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline
6 hours ago, Detron said:

There's so much going on at this point. Another issue is also USCIS officers are currently facing a furlough. Around 13,000 employees have or about to receive notices on that.

Actually it was announced that they are postponing the furlough to August 31st. 

https://www.1011now.com/2020/07/24/fortenberry-delays-furloughs-for-uscis-workers/

20 hours ago, Ray.Bonaquist said:

Well you should realize by now that some of those check-in/airport agents make themselves out to be tin gods and arrogate to themselves powers they don't possess and interpret laws they don't understand. That is why one must be over prepared with an abundance of references (preferably printed out from official sources) and evidence.

I feel your pain.

the agents are just enforcing what they have been told. as of now you cannot enter US through europe as transit. its crystal clear. if only folks read the EO before buying tickets this will spare all the issues 

duh

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Rwanda
Timeline

My fiancé is coming to visit while we have a pending k1. we had to take Qatar airlines to avoid the travel ban countries. He starts in Rwanda to Qatar then Qatar to OHD 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Post violating the TOS (language filter evasion) removed.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, James120383 said:

the agents are just enforcing what they have been told. as of now you cannot enter US through europe as transit. its crystal clear. if only folks read the EO before buying tickets this will spare all the issues 

You can travel through Europe, especially France, I just transited through Paris France to Atlanta 6days ago..., but I almost had issues at Paris because the Border Officer wasn’t well informed and wasn’t ready to listen to me, but before I travelled I’ve actually done my research on whose’s allowed through. So, I insisted and one of them took it up and called US CBP, and they said they should allow me through. 

From my research, the list of people they allow to enter US are; 

1. US Citizens

2. Permanent Residents

3.Spouses of US Citizen—which I was. 
4. Children of US Citizens under 21years. 
and some diplomatic visas, 

But work, fiancés and other related visas aren’t allowed (to the best of my knowledge).

12 minutes ago, Major said:

You can travel through Europe, especially France, I just transited through Paris France to Atlanta 6days ago..., but I almost had issues at Paris because the Border Officer wasn’t well informed and wasn’t ready to listen to me, but before I travelled I’ve actually done my research on whose’s allowed through. So, I insisted and one of them took it up and called US CBP, and they said they should allow me through. 

1. US Citizens

2. Permanent Residents

But work, fiancés and other related visas aren’t allowed (to the best of my knowledge).

Different situation here

K1 visa, so not a spouse.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Major said:

1. US Citizens

2. Permanent Residents

K1's are allowed but they can't travel in the area's that are banned

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
4 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

Different situation here

K1 visa, so not a spouse.

Did you read the write-up?

4 hours ago, smile101 said:

K1's are allowed but they can't travel in the area's that are banned

Alright then, he should give it a try but I doubt if K1 will go through. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Major said:

Did you read the write-up?

Alright then, he should give it a try but I doubt if K1 will go through. 

K1s can enter they just can’t come directly from a banned country. There is a thread on here several have entered by going to a non banned country for 14 days then coming to the US.

I added the link for the thread

Edited by PatLuvO

• Captain Ewok changed the title to My fiance got denied boarding with a valid K-1 Visa, transiting through Paris
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
On 7/25/2020 at 6:50 AM, patis said:

She is flying from Tunis to paris to the US. They stopped her at the airport and said k-1 visas were not allowed. How is this possible? I'm speechless right now. 

Which airport in the us is this?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline
5 hours ago, Rob & Amy said:

Which airport in the us is this?

I believe the thread title says the person was stopped at the Paris airport.

Whomever in Paris said they could not transit Paris airports whilst transiting from Tunis (a non banned place I believe) to the USA was wrong I think (it happens sadly).

To be safe, folks that want to enter the USA from a non-banned place should not transit thru a banned place imho...thus avoiding any issues in that regard (there are plenty of other issues to navigate, this removes one potential problem).

Edited by David and Anna

1 hour ago, David and Anna said:

I believe the thread title says the person was stopped at the Paris airport.

No, they were stopped before boarding the flight to France.

1 hour ago, David and Anna said:

Whomever in Paris said they could not transit Paris airports whilst transiting from Tunis (a non banned place I believe) to the USA was wrong I think (it happens sadly).

If they were in Paris, then the refusal to board would have been absolutely correct. You cannot transit through a banned country (unless you are exempted from the physical presence EOs, like a spouse would be).

While it sounds like they were given wrong info that they couldn't enter on a K-1 from anywhere, they were very fortunate to be stopped before getting to France. They just need a new airline ticket not going through a banned country. If they weren't stopped, they would need to quarantine + get a new ticket.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.