patis

My fiance got denied boarding with a valid K-1 Visa, transiting through Paris

95 posts in this topic

On 7/28/2020 at 2:34 PM, Cyberfx1024 said:

That is exactly what I told you on the 22nd.... The exact same thing.... It is also what you were told on Reddit as well

Exactly. It seems funny to me that people want advice, but then don’t believe you. So, why as in the first place? 🤔 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline
On 7/27/2020 at 12:05 AM, patis said:

****** UPDATE *****

I just wanted to update everyone on the current situation. We talked to border control officers at several US airports and they said that having a k-1 and traveling through non-banned countries like Turkey is OK. However if she would have traveled through Paris, she would have been banned. If you want to talk to a border patrol officer you can call your airport and ask for the customs and border number. 

So we now have a Turkish airline ticket and are waiting for the flight now. 

What we were initially told by the man working for Air France was that K-1's could not enter the US and that there was nothing he could do. This was  only true because airFrance only had flights going through France. So he was partially right. There was nothing HE could do. He failed to mention we could just get a ticket from a different airline and be okay. So K-1's can enter. Just don't buy from airFrance and don't think transiting through Europe is a good idea. 

******UPDATE******

TLDR: DON'T TRANSIT THROUGH EUROPE ON A K-1. 

I’m happy to hear that you found a solution.

in theory your fiancé would be in the last 14 days on Schengen area (because of the transit) so let us know please if that mattered. 
I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you guys.

*And topeople which are saying ‘you’ve been told this and that few times’:*

remember, this situation is very stressful to most of us. It’s hard when you want to see each other ASAP because it’s been so long. We are here on this forum to support each other not to point on each other’s mistakes I believe.

Timeline
On 7/25/2020 at 12:50 AM, patis said:

She is flying from Tunis to paris to the US. They stopped her at the airport and said k-1 visas were not allowed. How is this possible? I'm speechless right now. 

@HRQX I meant this part. Transferring through Schengen is treated as being in Schengen area. I just wanted to clear that out ☺️

My fiancé from Paris travelled to Mexico and stayed 2 weeks there. The banned countries are banned if you’ve been there’in the past 2 weeks’. He had no troubles getting here and getting through customs. He is finally home. For anyone with a K1 that is coming from or traveling through a banned place... find somewhere you can fly to and spend 2 weeks ( that the US has not banned) and come from there. You can always call customs and boarder patrol if you feel worried, like we did. I called daily to make sure nothing had been changed. (I got through best at 6-7 am calling the airport he was flying into(Miami) and they were more helpful than anyone  else ever was. There are 13 airports you are allowed internationally to fly into so make certain you are going to one of those , as well. I hope this helps. ❤️

29 minutes ago, Jenmarie said:

There are 13 airports you are allowed internationally to fly into so make certain you are going to one of those , as well. I hope this helps. ❤️

Actually, since he flew into the US from Mexico he could have landed at any international US airport (so not limited by the list of 15 airports). Mexico isn't one of the "specified countries" https://www.dhs.gov/publication/notices-arrival-restrictions-coronavirus

Edited by HRQX

Filed: Other Timeline
On 7/25/2020 at 10:36 AM, Calicolom said:

So far I have booked 3 flights and lost 3 flights. The airlines did not cancel the flight, cheapOair is canceling the flights, without telling me, or giving me a chance to change the flight. Then they keep $80.00 non refundable booking fee. some airlines take your money, knowing full well you can't fly. 

Travelocity is the only 3rd-part travel company I will deal with.  They have always stood by us & our friends. If the major airlines (Delta, United) don't have the best deals, I book through Travelocity (only exceptions have been some tickets with Europe on Lufthansa).

PriceLine recently failed for the 2nd (and last!) time to provide any meaningful resemblance of customer service.

I would never touch CheapOair.

Edited by Mike V
posted too soon

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
On 8/11/2020 at 3:47 PM, Kasia & Damian said:

@HRQX I meant this part. Transferring through Schengen is treated as being in Schengen area. I just wanted to clear that out ☺️

She never got to Schengen/Paris. They would not let her board the plane in Tunisia.

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Timeline
4 hours ago, LilyJ said:

She never got to Schengen/Paris. They would not let her board the plane in Tunisia.

Thank you for making that clear :) I got this brutal vision of someone going all the way there and being banned at the airport 🙈 that’s a better option to know before the flight! 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 7/25/2020 at 5:59 AM, patis said:

How do I triple check this? I"ve seen countries like Iran, China, EU schengen area are banned. I didn't see turkey anywhere. But also did not see where it was explicitly allowed. I'm worried we'll just be throwing more money away on useless plane tickets.

I spend $1000 on airline tickets, and lost $1000 on airline tickets, making the mistake of booking with a travel agency. They were only interested in selling tickets. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Kelsey and BF are from Portland.

Texas Bob was down today his GD just started a job in Portland, he was phlegmatic as his SIL would not have permitted it if she was not safe.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

There's a lot of information here, so I do apologize for this message being a bit redundant. But am I correct in my understanding that the US is granting K1 Visas (a literal pass for entry across the border), but not letting people in because of COVID? (And also not quite smart enough to extend this to people if they fly through a non-banned country?) I honestly assumed there would be no issue with my fiance traveling from Spain once our K1 Visa is approved (expected in November). But if we fly him through say, Dubai, there should be no issue? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Tara & Chris B said:

assumed there would be no issue with my fiance traveling from Spain once our K1 Visa is approved (expected in November). But if we fly him through say, Dubai, there should be no issue?

A lot can change between now and November/December.  Monitor the situation from now until then, as things will likely be different.  In the current uncertain environment it is good to be flexible and ready for different options based on new information at that time.  And the best advice, is don't buy any tickets to travel until the K-1 visa is in hand, in the passport.  Good luck with the interview!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.