patis

My fiance got denied boarding with a valid K-1 Visa, transiting through Paris

95 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Tara & Chris B said:

There's a lot of information here, so I do apologize for this message being a bit redundant. But am I correct in my understanding that the US is granting K1 Visas (a literal pass for entry across the border), but not letting people in because of COVID? (And also not quite smart enough to extend this to people if they fly through a non-banned country?) I honestly assumed there would be no issue with my fiance traveling from Spain once our K1 Visa is approved (expected in November). But if we fly him through say, Dubai, there should be no issue? 

They are not issuing new K1 Visas if you are from one of those banned countries. Your case is sitting at NVC and until they start processing the backlog of cases. Best bet you are looking at early Spring of next year. The schengen travel ban will not affect you by then.

1 hour ago, Tara & Chris B said:

But am I correct in my understanding that the US is granting K1 Visas (a literal pass for entry across the border)

Only to the few K-1 applicants in those restricted countries that meet one of the limited exemptions (e.g. parent of US citizen child, etc.). Those few exempt K-1 holders can travel directly to the US without issues. For example, from the month of April to July, the following K-1 visas were issued in the Schengen Area:

• 1 K-1 visa in Athens
  • 1 K-1 visa in Bern
  • 1 K-1 visa in Bratislava
  • 1 K-1 visa in Frankfurt
  • 2 K-1 visas in Madrid
  • 1 K-1 visa in Naples
  • 2 K-1 visas in Paris
  • 1 K-1 visa in Prague
  • 1 K-1 visa in Riga
  • 4 K-1 visas in Stockholm
  • 1 K-1 visa in Tallinn
  • 2 K-1 visas in Vienna
  • 1 K-1 visa in Warsaw

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/MonthlyNIVIssuances/JULY 2020 - NIV Issuances by Post and Visa Class.pdf

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/MonthlyNIVIssuances/June 2020 - NIV Issuances by Post and Visa Class.pdf

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/MonthlyNIVIssuances/MAY 2020 - NIV Issuances by Post and Visa Class.pdf

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/MonthlyNIVIssuances/APRIL 2020 - NIV Issuances by Post and Visa Class.pdf

Everybody else in those restricted countries can't get K-1 visa because of following part of the proclamations: "The Secretary of State shall implement this proclamation as it applies to visas pursuant to such procedures as the Secretary of State, in consultation with the Secretary of Homeland Security, may establish."

1 hour ago, Tara & Chris B said:

But if we fly him through say, Dubai, there should be no issue? 

It's not that simple. Look at what the K-1 applicants that got their visas approved before mid-March have to go through:

They have to spend 14 days in an unrestricted country before attempting to enter the US.

1 hour ago, SoSol said:

Best bet you are looking at early Spring of next year. The schengen travel ban will not affect you by then.

Note that the relevant proclamations are in effect indefinitely. Hard to predict when the President would cancel those proclamations.

Edited by HRQX

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 7:53 AM, patis said:

**************UPDATE**************

My fiance made it through via Turkish Airlines no problem and into the US. Just go through countries not on the travel ban list like turkey if possible

Congrats! 

Edited by eirinlinn

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
On 8/28/2020 at 12:49 PM, SoSol said:

They are not issuing new K1 Visas if you are from one of those banned countries. Your case is sitting at NVC and until they start processing the backlog of cases. Best bet you are looking at early Spring of next year. The schengen travel ban will not affect you by then.

this is gold lol - schengen ban still in effect

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.