patis

My fiance got denied boarding with a valid K-1 Visa, transiting through Paris

95 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2020 at 6:05 PM, patis said:

****** UPDATE *****

I just wanted to update everyone on the current situation. We talked to border control officers at several US airports and they said that having a k-1 and traveling through non-banned countries like Turkey is OK. However if she would have traveled through Paris, she would have been banned. If you want to talk to a border patrol officer you can call your airport and ask for the customs and border number. 

So we now have a Turkish airline ticket and are waiting for the flight now. 

What we were initially told by the man working for Air France was that K-1's could not enter the US and that there was nothing he could do. This was  only true because airFrance only had flights going through France. So he was partially right. There was nothing HE could do. He failed to mention we could just get a ticket from a different airline and be okay. So K-1's can enter. Just don't buy from airFrance and don't think transiting through Europe is a good idea. 

******UPDATE******

TLDR: DON'T TRANSIT THROUGH EUROPE ON A K-1. 

That is exactly what I told you on the 22nd.... The exact same thing.... It is also what you were told on Reddit as well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello, I am sorry to hear of your situation.  I had a relative who was in a similar situation. She was traveling back to her Dubai (where she has lived most of her adult life) form Karachi, Pakistan and was refused entry due to Dubai. Thankfully her son got her back to Pakistan by purchasing a plane ticket.  It is maddening to manage all the restrictions and covid poicies, especially across the globe. For the most reliable information on entering  the USA, I would go to the US Customs and Border Patrol  (CBP) website or contact your local US Emassy.  This link to CBP might help

https://www.dhs.gov/coronavirus/protecting-air-travelers-and-american-public

There are multiple resources on entering the USA  on this website in addition to what I have provided.

I wish you all the best.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Oman
Timeline
On 7/25/2020 at 2:50 AM, patis said:

She is flying from Tunis to paris to the US. They stopped her at the airport and said k-1 visas were not allowed. How is this possible? I'm speechless right now. 

This is the list of banned countries

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
On 7/25/2020 at 11:36 AM, Calicolom said:

So far I have booked 3 flights and lost 3 flights. The airlines did not cancel the flight, cheapOair is canceling the flights, without telling me, or giving me a chance to change the flight. Then they keep $80.00 non refundable booking fee. some airlines take your money, knowing full well you can't fly. 

And You haven’t learned your lesson after #3 to book directly with the airline? Guess third times not the charm.

Edited by Luckycuds

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

On 7/25/2020 at 8:27 AM, Anishatt said:

What I know is that the K-1 visa isn’t allowed just for The CR1 ,other thinks a lot of people go to tunisia and back to USA through Paris ,I think it is visa issue 

I flew end of April on a CR1/IR1 from London. I got checked by some kind of special passport and visa person. He was from the embassy I believe. There was five of us waiting and only 3 of us got approved to board the plane. 

I heard K1's were not exempt as you said, and haven't heard anything if it changed.

wpid-1030ldr.gif

On 7/24/2020 at 4:50 PM, patis said:

She is flying from Tunis to paris to the US. They stopped her at the airport and said k-1 visas were not allowed. How is this possible? I'm speechless right now. 

Which airport was she meant to arrive into in the US? That has to be one of 15 (on entry). I flew via Newark then on to Denver. I quarantined there. 

I also believe that K1's weren't exempt from the bans (note this may have changed), I travelled on a CR1/IR1 visa, but I'm not an expert. Edit - I see above they can enter but not through certain countries.

Someone shared this on here - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html

It's a good website to look at, it has links on there to tell you which airports to enter but also which visa categories are exempt. I recommend contacting the consulate prior to booking another flight. Good luck to you both, I hope this gets sorted.

Edited by jennywhite421
Edit to add

wpid-1030ldr.gif

On 7/24/2020 at 6:45 PM, patis said:

Is tunisia considered a "banned" country? I can get her a hotel in any country for 14 days if that will fix things. Is there a list of banned countries out there?

My husband (then fiancé) and I spent nearly three weeks in Belgrade, Serbia in June to avoid the travel ban. The last I heard, Serbia has NO travel restrictions and it is not on the list of banned countries. They had/have direct flights from Belgrade to JFK a few times per week. My husband and I had absolutely no issue with immigration, though he was entering on an ESTA from the UK. I am not a local and don’t know much about the area, but feel free to message me for tips from a foreigner’s perspective and restaurant recommendations. Best of luck and congratulations on your K1 approval! 

edit: sorry, I did not see your update until after I posted this🤦🏻‍♀️ Congrats again! 

Edited by Reagan & Vish
Update

event.png

ROC Timeline:

• December 24, 2022: 90-day window opened
  • December 27, 2022: Sent via USPS to Phoenix Lockbox
  • December 29, 2022: Delivered
  • December 30, 2022: Case marked as received
  • January 5, 2023: Text message received 
  • January 11, 2023: NOA1 letter received, dated January 4, 2023
  • April 12, 2023: 48-month extension letter received

On 7/26/2020 at 3:12 PM, patis said:

The customs officers I spoke to said with a k-1 visa and previously being in the banned Europe countries they will deny entry to the US. 

Yup, that is correct if present in a restricted country in the 14 days preceding US entry.

CBP sometimes does make mistakes, though:

Edited by HRQX

On 7/25/2020 at 9:25 AM, Detron said:

Another issue is also USCIS officers are currently facing a furlough. Around 13,000 employees have or about to receive notices on that.

What does this have to do with traveling from a country that is not banned?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

What does this have to do with traveling from a country that is not banned?

Everything that involves point of entry officers, delays in processes, issuing visas and handling paperwork through USCIS and Homeland Security.

https://www.boundless.com/blog/uscis-furloughs-green-card-citizenship-applications/

As of yesterday the Congress has yet to reach agreement... That pushes the dates further and all visas are becoming slowly expired and processes nulled. Hope that made sense.

On 7/25/2020 at 6:25 AM, Detron said:

I would suggest to hold off on travelling (unless you're able to travel through England/Great Britain),  until this pandemic situation calms down.

K-1s can't currently transit through there because of the UK and Ireland proclamation: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/03/18/2020-05797/suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-nonimmigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of

21 minutes ago, Detron said:

Everything that involves point of entry officers, delays in processes, issuing visas and handling paperwork through USCIS and Homeland Security.

https://www.boundless.com/blog/uscis-furloughs-green-card-citizenship-applications/

The USCIS furloughs won't affect POE officers because they are CBP Officers. CBP isn't part of USCIS and doesn't have budget issues.

The USCIS furloughs won't affect consular officers because they are part of the Department of State.

Edited by HRQX

2 hours ago, Detron said:

CBP is not USCIS. USCIS furloughs won't have any impact on entering the US with an existing visa or other travel document.

COs and the rest of DOS are not USCIS. USCIS furloughs won't directly change anything with NVC or the embassies/consulates.

USCIS furloughs would impact USCIS processes, such as petition processing, AOS processing, etc.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.