Derek Scheyer

Immigration Suspension Executive Order - MEGA THREAD

1,506 posts in this topic

Just a bit of news from CNBC:

An administration official familiar with the plans had said earlier the order would be focused on preventing people from winning permission to live and work in the U.S. That would include those seeking employment-based green cards and relatives of green card holders who are not citizens. Americans who wish to bring immediate family to the country would still be able to do so, according to the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity before the plan was announced. About one million people were granted green cards last year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/21/trump-immigration-ban-halts-green-cards-not-temporary-visas.html

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Ieeeeeees said:

I'm in the exact same situation. I'm currently in the US with my fiance because I was lucky enough to be able to leave a few hours before the ban went into effect and it feels so good and safe to be able to be here with him. 

I’m so so happy you got there in time! We lucked out because we already had tickets booked since he was supposed to visit me anyway... it’s just that his flight back got canceled and the length of his trip switched from a week to indefinitely... We were really scared that he might get turned around at the airport or not let into the country, but when I imagine being apart now and reading the immigration ban news not knowing when we’d be able to see each other, it really makes that stress so worth it!

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/19/2020 at 11:28 PM, Derek Scheyer said:

President Donald Trump said Monday that he is temporarily suspending immigration to the United States in response to the coronavirus pandemic and the "need to protect jobs."

In a tweet Monday night (April 20th), the president attributed the suspension to an "attack from the Invisible Enemy" and the "need to protect the jobs of our GREAT American Citizens."

Highlights (updated as of 4/21 28am PT, 2020)

• President Donald Trump said he will sign an executive order temporarily suspending immigration into the United States. It could come as early as Tuesday.
  • The order will include exemptions for migrant farmworkers and immigrant healthcare workers, particularly those treating coronavirus patients, The Wall Street Journal reported.
  • Immigration into the US has already ground to a near-halt due to the coronavirus pandemic, and it's unclear what immediate effects Trump's order would have.

Anybody have any other news or opinions on this? Do you think it would have an effect on K1 fiance or spouse visas?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-says-he-suspending-immigration-over-coronavirus-need-protect-jobs-n1188416

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-suspend-immigration-executive-order-coronavirus

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52363852

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-immigration-order-to-include-farm-healthcare-exceptions-2020-4

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-says-coronavirus-immigration-suspension-will-last-60-days.amp?__twitter_impression=true

60 days to start. Not sure which Visa's are affected. he could renew it after that. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
14 minutes ago, agataa said:

@EmptySeats  my fiancé managed to get to my country just a few hours before the borders got shut down and all the planes got grounded. It was a scary decision and we only had a few hours to make it so I sympathize with you completely. We don’t know when he’ll be able to go back home but I have to say though, seeing how much worse the things are getting and having him with me, I thank past us for doing the craziest thing we could have done every day 

We did the same thing! Booked the next flight out the following morning and I stayed up all night packing. By far the craziest thing I’ve ever done but being with my hubby is worth every bit of it! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
34 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Personal advice:  Do everything to get her on that plane.  If she's allowed to board, that's most of the battle.  Upon landing, she can state calmly to CBP that she has a valid visa AND the guidelines were clear enough to enable boarding.  If the front-line agent hesitates, she should calmly point out that NO flights back to Ecu are permitted.  If there's still hesitation, she should calmly yet insistently ask for the shift supervisor or port director and calmly explain the reasoning.  My gut tells me that she'll be admitted... but it can't and won't happen if she's not on that plane!

Your insight is so appreciated. You really saved us when we had our interview in Guayaquil in March.

If there is room for this kind of dialogue with CBP, then certainly the fact that there is no executive order yet (by 7:30am tomorrow) would be an admissible point. As well the rest of the reasoning, as you put it - and that fact that you can't enter Ecuador. My fiance speaks incredible English so can advocate.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My parents already have visa and IV expires in July. Does this restriction apply to them? Will they be able to come to USA once COVID slows down? What if the VISA expires? Do I have to start this procedure again? Please advise.

As a K1 it feels like we won't be able to move as we aren't nuclear family. This really bites. I was so close to the end after applying a bit later than we liked so I could graduate and get our house deposit together and this is the reward for that. On top of this our embassy is closed anyway and Australia doesn't want to let me leave until next year. I know we will survive the wait but I am more worried that our visa application won't survive. I really would hate to start again - although I would get married and do it that way as that seems like the safer option after all of this. It's hard for my K2 to understand though as my fiance is her father (of course not blood) and she doesn't understand why we can't see him. But it isn't forever and I am sure it will work out.

Itching to know more as soon as we can though. The specifics are really needed right now.

We have an approved K1 Visa and had an interview date set (Mar 25) that was cancelled. The way I read it is that those seeking permanent residency as well as most work visa's will be suspended. I also notice conflicting restriction timeline; 90 days on one site and 60 on the other. So, any clarification would be appreciated. Technically the K1 visa is not a petition for permanent residency. This comes after the 90 days in which the couple must get married and then petition for permanent residency. I'm not 100% if I'm reading this correctly and if anyone has more information please share. Thanks and good luck to everyone here during this challenging time. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Let us wait and see which visas will be affected by the executive order (EO).

Hopefully, by tomorrow we can all get a solidify answer to all of our questions. No point speculating. We all have questions (so many questions) but no one can provide a solid answer until the EO is signed. 

Cheers to remaining hopeful!

Hello everyone! Sorry if my question is repetitive, I tried to read the thread as much as I can.

My mom is a green card holder (she already have a green card) ,  she went outside of US in Feb  and is now stuck there because of the lockdown. The next flight is not until May.

Will she be affected by this law?

Thank you

Just now, lobo2000 said:

Hello everyone! Sorry if my question is repetitive, I tried to read the thread as much as I can.

My mom is a green card holder (she already have a green card) ,  she went outside of US in Feb  and is now stuck there because of the lockdown. The next flight is not until May.

Thank you

i wouldn't think so as she's already entered the US on that visa, but until it's all done  i have no clue

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, lobo2000 said:

Thank you

No, this has nothing to do with current citizens or permanent residents. 

Edited by JacobP

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
Just now, lobo2000 said:

Thank you

No she will not be affected. She is in fact not stuck at all, as long as you can find a flight back to the to states for your mother she can fly back and enter the US as she's a permanent resident. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

My fiancé and I received approval on 3/26 for our k-1 and haven’t heard anything from the NVC. What does this mean for us? If this suspension lasts for too long, will our petition expire? That’s like when the moderator runs the clock until your time is up and you can’t speak anymore. I’ll be so mad if that’s the case

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 minutes ago, lobo2000 said:

Thank you

No

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.