Derek Scheyer

Immigration Suspension Executive Order - MEGA THREAD

1,506 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline
1 hour ago, SJordanS said:

We have been in AP for nine months waiting for my fiancé to just get approved and come out here now I think that’s been out the window for now. I’m so depressed over this! 

I completely understand. 

• Captain Ewok changed the title to Executive Order to temporarily suspend immigration
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I seem to recollect making a comment some time back about the effect on work based immigration, when so many face unemployment. Those need labour certification may find it looked at more closely.

To be fair this is not just a US issue, I have seen related stories in the UK media.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

So how will USCIS pay its employees or rather where will the money come from for that department?  Aren't they based on fees collected from the applicants? 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

What is everyone thinking about applications that have already been submitted? They will not be processed? Or is it more likely no NEW applications will be taken in?

Filed: O-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I actually wouldn't be surprised if it was just work visas/green cards. In which case id be screwed, to put it mildly. If he bans everything there will be much more pushback and chance for a quicker reversal.

Someone asked: yes, may Visa bulletin should definitely be out by now

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 minutes ago, ChristianZane said:

NYT states "A formal order temporarily barring new green cards and work visas could come as early as the next few days"...  doesn't say what type of green card (family or employment) but I'll bet he blocks everyone.

I dont think that he will ban family immigration otherwise it ill be a thug of war in court because it violates constitution.. and any executive order  That violate constitution can be changed n courts are there define any order.  I highly doubt that

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
1 minute ago, ChristianZane said:

As mentioned earlier K-1 is not an immigrant visa.

Its kind of a gray area. For example the UK embassy classifies them as immigrant

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 minute ago, waitinggame101 said:

What is everyone thinking about applications that have already been submitted? They will not be processed? Or is it more likely no NEW applications will be taken in?

I highly doubt this suspension will effect this process especially family immigration  

9 minutes ago, randomstairs said:

That could be considered "illegal gambling" so you'd have to answer positively to the pertaining question on I-485 or N-400 :) Just kidding. I think it will affect work visas and probably all new GCs, especially the EB ones. Work visas alone effectively already are suspended due to consular processing not happening. The most concerning is that the EO would be justified on economic grounds (not just health) which could mean the suspension could last for years.  

It's all legal under federal restrictions and within my state. It's gambling earnings. https://politicalpredictionmarkets.com/is-predictit-legal/

Also, I'm a USC by birth. :P

10 minutes ago, designguy said:

The bet is that the EO will not just cover work visas but all immigrant visas

More precisely, that it will impact more than just work visas. I limit my liability. 👍

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
1 minute ago, Faisal1 said:

I dont think that he will ban family immigration otherwise it ill be a thug of war in court because it violates constitution.. and any executive order  That violate constitution can be changed n courts are there define any order.  I highly doubt that

I hope you're right. He mentioned employment, so maybe its all work visas and work visa to greencard applications. 

1 minute ago, waitinggame101 said:

From the sounds of it everything will be suspended...... itll hurt those waiting to enter the US or arent in an AOS process or similar the most i suspect. Those that do and are currently waiting for processing will just have extra waiting time, thats my best guess anyway.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.