afrocraft

USCIS proposes increasing application fees by 21% or more

79 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

I think USCIS should increase the fees just a little bit for the standard processing so they can make some profit and not lose money, but they should also start premium processing for most of the petitions.

N400 for example, to reach the  Naturalization stage, that means the petitioner has lived in the US for a while and they should know everything about this person, or at least know about more than people who are applying for AOS. Therefore, processing time should be shorter. They should offer premium processing (2-4 months guaranteed) for $2,500 or $3000. This way they can make big profit from the people who can afford to pay big. Just like airlines, all passengers will get to board the airplane, but not everyone can afford first class tickets.

The immigration process caused me PTSD.

15 minutes ago, Deagle said:

Higher fees should come with better service and faster processing times. 

I agree.  That’s their goal as well.  

The fee review:  Allows for an assessment of USCIS policy changes, staffing levels, costs, revenue, etc. USCIS evaluates operational requirements and makes informed decisions concerning program scaling, resource planning, and staffing allocations;

4 minutes ago, Deagle said:

I think USCIS should increase the fees just a little bit for the standard processing so they can make some profit and not lose money, but they should also start premium processing for most of the petitions.

N400 for example, to reach the  Naturalization stage, that means the petitioner has lived in the US for a while and they should know everything about this person, or at least know about more than people who are applying for AOS. Therefore, processing time should be shorter. They should offer premium processing (2-4 months guaranteed) for $2,500 or $3000. This way they can make big profit from the people who can afford to pay big. Just like airlines, all passengers will get to board the airplane, but not everyone can afford first class tickets.

That would be ideal!  But it seems that 

Congress established the premium processing service for “employment-based petitions and applications.”

Also, 

Commenters regularly request that DHS extend premium processing to other immigration benefit requests.  Nevertheless, it would be difficult to estimate the staff, resources, and costs necessary to ensure the processing of additional benefit types within a certain time frame, especially when those cases may require other types of background checks, interviews, and additional steps that USCIS does not generally control. Expanding the premium processing program would require USCIS to estimate the costs of a service that does not currently exist with sufficient confidence that it can deliver the service promised and not impair service in other product lines. DHS would require the devotion of considerable resources to study a potential new premium processing program. 

Timeline
24 minutes ago, NYCQueens2017 said:

Nevertheless, it would be difficult to estimate the staff, resources, and costs necessary to ensure the processing of additional benefit types within a certain time frame, especially when those cases may require other types of background checks, interviews, and additional steps that USCIS does not generally control. 

I find this hard to believe. I think that every petition required background check. I mean, are they saying that "employment-based petitions" doesn't require background checks? I mean N400 should really be the fastest petition since the applicant has been in the country for either 3 or 5 years. They have all the info they need plus a trial period lol.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, Deagle said:

In the private sector maybe, but in GOV, that's called wishful thinking!

1 hour ago, Deagle said:

The reason why premium processing has a value/meaning is because it only applies to categories that are strictly limited in number. There are not an unlimited number of petitions available for premium processing. They can anticipate the work load and have the right number of people for that task beforehand.

Opening that up for family-based petitions, ROC, naturalization, etc. would likely just result in paying a larger fee to effectively wait in the same line with the vast majority of applicants.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The reason why premium processing has a value/meaning is because it only applies to categories that are strictly limited in number. There are not an unlimited number of petitions available for premium processing. They can anticipate the work load and have the right number of people for that task beforehand.

Opening that up for family-based petitions, ROC, naturalization, etc. would likely just result in paying a larger fee to effectively wait in the same line with the vast majority of applicants.

Higher fees = more money = more employees.

19 minutes ago, geowrian said:

My thoughts exactly. If that happens, essentially a large enough number of people will be able to pay for PP that it will make it "not premium" anymore.

3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The main issue, IMHO, is lack of planning in most cases. They are always slow to respond to changes in workloads, and have no planning for anything unexpected. That's why have such large backlogs in the first place, which is the real issue...not so much their ability to handle the current processing load.

I tend to agree with your view.  They are constantly behind the curve.  If you check the fees that were in place back in the 90’s ($150-$250 approx.) for petitions such as AOS, ROC, EAD, N-400 etc., compared to the fees that are in place today/will be in place in a few months, the increase is insane.  However, even the fact that more employees were hired by USCIS, the backlog increased tremendously, as petitions back then were adjudicated in just a couple months time.  

2 hours ago, Deagle said:

We are not laughing at you. We are laughing from keeping from crying....

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

1 hour ago, Lemonslice said:

Hopefully, k1 will become less attractive. Too many people are already ignoring the AOS cost and unable to file in a timely manner. 

I would think this would reduce the number of economically challenged filers...

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

To put it in context, take a look at the CRS Report for Congress (dated 6/12/2007).

Page CRS-19 states historical fees (1994-2004) for selected immigration benefits, while pages CRS-38 to CRS-39 show the processing times and completions rates as of 2007.  

Comparing this piece of information to today’s processing times and tomorrow’s proposed fees, indicates that the fee level (or more staff) is inversely correlated to the processing times.  Someone could say that, this pattern shows that other issues should be concurrently addressed to resolve the backlog problem.

https://trac.syr.edu/immigration/library/P1984.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

Hopefully, k1 will become less attractive. Too many people are already ignoring the AOS cost and unable to file in a timely manner. 

There are already far more IR-1/CR-1s filed than K-1s, and that's not even figuring in AOS from non-K visas.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.