TeaOhEnWhy

Choosing not to provide social media information

76 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We submitted the new ds 160 and it asks for screen names for any of the major social media sites. Not really much to it and a small section on the form itself. 

We put in his FB, Reddit, and any other.  You have went through the whole process and want it to be private? 

It does not ask for passwords and such so I don’t get the reasoning as the Affidavit of Support and packet is much more in depth. 

I understand wanting your privacy but privacy does not exist much in this process which is understandable with what we are asking. 

Good luck on your journey but I would definitely redo ds 160 for the visa. 

We all have a decision and hope the best for the both of you. 

I would not risk it. We are at Interview stage but they may ask the same thing everyone else here is. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
14 hours ago, Boiler said:

They can not force her to divulge her social media details. Or any other information.

And SHE can not force the embassy to issue a visa ;)    Ying - Yang

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

She doesnt want to provide social media info because she fears being hacked (by the US Gov't?) i mean, pretty sure they can do that regardless if they truly wanted to but mmmmkay... but you were both giving every single private detail about yourselves that in the wrong hands could truly mess up your life for YEARS and be more than an irritation? mmmmmkay then. 🙄

definitely fishy.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

I honestly don't see why providing social media information, which is pretty 'out there' anyway, is a big deal but giving them your address, date of birth, your sponsor's social security number, tax information etc., is somehow deemed safer to share. I think the beneficiary has made a mountain out of a relative molehill in the whole scheme of giving personal info to the USCIS. They're very good at finding out things about you; that's what they're supposed to do. Social media is the least of the beneficiary's worries, unless indeed they have something to hide.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

*** Five (5) hijacking posts removed. Please do not hijack other member's threads with your questions. You are free to start your own.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline

I NEVER SAID SHE IS AFRAID OF BEING HACKED BY THE U.S GOVERNMENT. She does not trust the internet in general in HER COUNTRY. DS-160 are done outside of the U.S unless the U.S sponsor does it on their behalf, am I wrong?

You are all looking at it from perspective of Americans, where we in America are fortunate to have robust IT infrastructure and information security is for the most part a non-issue (there are exceptions, big ones; Wikileaks, Facebook data analytics etc.) I think most of us are savvy enough to not fall for a Nigerian oil heir scam. The circumstances are not the same IN HER COUNTRY.

This process is stressful as is, not knowing English during a process that is mostly done in English is stressful, being long distance from your significant other is stressful. Having to give instructions over the phone/video call is stressful. Does all this cause people to overthink things? Certainly. If your journey was smooth and problem free with your significant other, and they could already speak English thus making the process easier, hats off to you.

Edited by TeaOhEnWhy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Begs the question why you would use Social Media at all in those sort of circumstances. Maybe she needs a VPN?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

They do.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
13 minutes ago, TeaOhEnWhy said:

I NEVER SAID SHE IS AFRAID OF BEING HACKED BY THE U.S GOVERNMENT. She does not trust the internet in general in HER COUNTRY. DS-160 are done outside of the U.S unless the U.S sponsor does it on their behalf, am I wrong?

You are all looking at it from perspective of Americans, where we in America are fortunate to have robust IT infrastructure and information security is for the most part a non-issue (there are exceptions, big ones; Wikileaks, Facebook data analytics etc.) I think most of us are savvy enough to not fall for a Nigerian oil heir scam. The circumstances are not the same IN HER COUNTRY.

This process is stressful as is, not knowing English during a process that is mostly done in English is stressful, being long distance from your significant other is stressful. Having to give instructions over the phone/video call is stressful. Does all this cause people to overthink things? Certainly. If your journey was smooth and problem free with your significant other, and they could already speak English thus making the process easier, hats off to you.

What about all the other information entered into the DS-160? What about current social media use?

Falling for a Nigerian prince heir scam has nothing to do with robust IT infrastructure.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
5 hours ago, Boiler said:

They do.

Well hopefully they think it's quality(removed)posting. 

Edited by Ontarkie
bypassing language filter

Timeline
5 hours ago, Elif_and_Greg said:

Well hopefully they think it's quality (removed) posting. 

No way of knowing.

Edited by Ontarkie
edited quoted for bypassing language filter

*** One post edited to remove inappropriate language. 

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

I would also point out that many people ITT understand the lack of IT infrastructure. Most of us either immigrated or are family members of those who did. My wife came from a small province in PH, where IT infrastructure is definitely lacking.

Or worse, some of us came from areas where they actually do monitor and/or severely restrict access (i.e. KSA, which is where my wife worked while we dated).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.