TeaOhEnWhy

Choosing not to provide social media information

76 posts in this topic

*~*~*procedural question moved from “progress reports” to “process and procedures”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
2 hours ago, TeaOhEnWhy said:

During visa scheduling processing, they ask for social media information if any. My beneficiary chose not to provide her social media information, her reasoning was she has been hacked in the past and therefore does not feel comfortable providing that information online. Is this okay or does it raise flags?

I see big problems for you two on interview day.  

Didn’t you also have a problem with the I-134?

Failure to follow instructions in context of immigration is definitely not OK

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

My fiance has some very old accounts that he signed up for something like Twitter, didn't like it and didn't use it....some of the accounts he used for a short time just to try but he can't remember all the screen names and even his email address to try to recover the screen names was different. He's disclosing what he can remember and bringing the paper with supplementary information to explain about social media.

Maybe she can do something similar, provide the usernames (it doesn't ask password) and then write an additional letter prepared to provide at interview explaining her situation about the hack and any proof she has that was hacked in case the hacker did anything that could make her look bad.

Even though you already paid the fees, you can still make a new ds160. As long as the interview isn't scheduled yet you can do new ds160 and most of the info will still be filled in if you make a new one so it doesn't take long. 

It's always better for them to see that we are doing our best and trying to give them everything, even if it takes a little more effort. 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
7 minutes ago, TeaOhEnWhy said:

No problems, just procedural questions

You at a minimum are looking at a delay.  Social media screen names are public.  Not probiding them?  It is going to flag your fiance.  You don’t have time at the interview counter to take care of things you chose not to do.  You just get a rejection slip and (maybe) a chance to make it right.

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

It is hard for all of us to give immigration all our business ,  personal and private and send tax returns ,  criminal reports,  every bit of information 

but this is required of each and every one of us to satisfy the immigration laws

BTW    income is reported on I 134 and not in the application/  it is needed to know you can support your new family

and social media is a requirement of all beneficiaries not just her/  it is part of the new security checks

if she doesn't want to disclose them,  she can say "i don't care to share"

and the CO can say "then no visa"

it will be a shame to spend all this money and do the travel and stop your own visa when you  have waited so long already

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, TeaOhEnWhy said:

During visa scheduling processing, they ask for social media information if any. My beneficiary chose not to provide her social media information, her reasoning was she has been hacked in the past and therefore does not feel comfortable providing that information online. Is this okay or does it raise flags?

Not a big deal.  They can always ask Facebook, who, in the news stated that everything is saved.. everything, including transcripts of your messenger chats.  Skype has copies of all of your activities, and NSA has copies of phone calls.    Not like she can hide anything anyways.  And like others said, user names and locations is not going to get her hacked.   I think, if it were me, I would have a prepared list of usernames and sites, printed out and ready to present if asked. And if they don't ask, all the better.  Otherwise it could result in an RFE and a delay, and know that now, I understand that RFE's do not have to be issued, but a denial can be.

I filled my DS160 in a while ago - but if I recall, it wasn’t optional as to whether you completed that section or not.

The system will allow you to not enter info for that section, for those that don’t have social media - but if you do have social media accounts, I’m sure the instructions were that you MUST fill it out, not that it’d be cool if you did, but if not, no worries...

I think that choosing to ignore those instructions seems suspicious at best...and I’d imagine they won’t find it hard to identify that she does have social media, as presumably she uses the same email address for them that she entered when completing the DS160?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

I filled my DS160 in a while ago - but if I recall, it wasn’t optional as to whether you completed that section or not.

The system will allow you to not enter info for that section, for those that don’t have social media - but if you do have social media accounts, I’m sure the instructions were that you MUST fill it out, not that it’d be cool if you did, but if not, no worries...

I think that choosing to ignore those instructions seems suspicious at best...and I’d imagine they won’t find it hard to identify that she does have social media, as presumably she uses the same email address for them that she entered when completing the DS160?

E-mail is not commonly used in her country, seems almost everything is done through Whatsapp, IT infrastructure overall is severely lacking compared to surrounding countries. The email used in DS-160 is one I had created for her, for me to monitor.

10 minutes ago, TeaOhEnWhy said:

Laos

If you met online then they are going to find it hard to believe she doesn’t use social media. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

My take on this: Why gamble? The information they have about you is limited already, plus the fact that they do this things everyday and it must be very boring... You want to show them that you REALLY want to be there, make it easy for them to accept you, not harder. If there are optional steps you could take, take them. Sometimes that makes a difference. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.