Meryem467

Is this housing discrimination?

93 posts in this topic

Hello, my husband and I live in Tennessee and he is here on a K1 visa. We have already applied for AOS. We are trying to lease an apartment and many apartment offices have told us that they will not lease to use because my husband does not yet have his Social Security number. Does anyone know if this is even legal or what I should do? 

SSN is the first thing you can apply for as a K1.

Not sure why it would not be legal. Presumably they want it to do a background check.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 minutes ago, Meryem467 said:

Hello, my husband and I live in Tennessee and he is here on a K1 visa. We have already applied for AOS. We are trying to lease an apartment and many apartment offices have told us that they will not lease to use because my husband does not yet have his Social Security number. Does anyone know if this is even legal or what I should do? 

SSN's are used to run background checks and credit checks, which can be common for leasing agents to require. Did they specify why they need his SSN?

03639.png                  

🇷🇺  CR-1 via DCF in Moscow* (2016-2017) 🇺🇸 Info about my DCF experience here and here.

Spoiler

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad (USC + Russian husband) 👩‍❤️‍👨
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED.

I-90 GC Replacment (for Erroneous GC)

22-Jul-2017: GC arrives in the mail – error in middle name 😕

01-Aug-2017: Sent in I-90 online via website

05-Aug-2017: Biometrics scheduled

23-Aug-2017: Biometrics done @ USCIS office; told to keep GC!

16-Jul-2018: RFE for original card!! 🤬

31-Jul-2018: USCIS Appointment at local field office..

22-Aug-2018: Mailed GC back to USCIS in response to RFE

29-Aug-2018: GC received by USCIS

17-Sept-2018: Received CORRECTED GC in the mail! Finally!! 😂

📑 I-751 Removal of Conditions - NBC (Apr-2019-???) 📝 MSC I-751 filers: Track your case here!

Spoiler

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail 

??-???-2019: TBA...

Mar-30-2020: N-400 early filing window opens! 🇺🇸

Think of it this way in sense of background checks. The apartment complex, and property management has a responsibility to also protect all other tenants. If they can't verify who someone is through a SSN, how do they know they aren't letting in a sexual predator, or a murderer? 

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

07/08/2016 : NOA 1 Received

08/25/2016 : NOA 2 Received (48 days)

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/18/2016 : Visa in hand

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

giphy.gifgiphy.gif     

5 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

Think of it this way in sense of background checks. The apartment complex, and property management has a responsibility to also protect all other tenants. If they can't verify who someone is through a SSN, how do they know they aren't letting in a sexual predator, or a murderer? 

Yes, they want the SSN for the background check. I have explained our situation, that he is here legally and we can show them all the paperwork, but they still just say no. 

It definitely feels like discrimination because how is a new immigrant supposed to find housing if property management companies are allowed to never lease to anyone without a SSN? 

In any case, if anyone has any helpful ideas that would be great. 

I think I got mine c 10 days after arrival.

Look for non corporate accommodation who might be more flexible.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

6 minutes ago, Meryem467 said:

Yes, they want the SSN for the background check. I have explained our situation, that he is here legally and we can show them all the paperwork, but they still just say no. 

It definitely feels like discrimination because how is a new immigrant supposed to find housing if property management companies are allowed to never lease to anyone without a SSN? 

You can print his i-94 from cbp page and take his passport and birthcertificate and go to get his social security number, i did that when i arrived on my k1 visa, before i get married

16 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Are you trying to have both names on the lease ? If yes, then what would happen if you leased on your name only , with his name as a co tenant but not a leasee? 

My experience has been that all occupants (outside a short term guest) must on the lease as occupants......and are subject to approval by the management company.

:idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

Immigration Journey:

• Texas Service Center after transfer from Nebraska
  • Consulate :Taipei, Taiwan
  • Marriage: 7/30/2015
  • I-130 NOA1 : 4/27/2016
  • I-130 Approved :9/8/2016
  • Case received at NVC: 10/11/2016                               
  • Case # and IIN#: 10/24/2016
  • AOS Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • AOS Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • IV Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • IV Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • DS-260 Completed: 10/28/16
  • Scan Date:11/9/2016
  • Supervisor review: 12/21/16 
  • Checklist: 1/13/17 
  • Case Complete: 4/10/17
  • Interview Date: 5/8/17 
  • Visa  "ISSUED": 5/10/17
  • Visa and Passport in hand/Flight to USA Booked!!!: 5/12/17  
  • POE Dallas DFW on June 22, 2017
  • SS Card received : 7/3/2017
  • 2-year Green Card received in mail: 7/15/17
  • I751 mailed to Dallas PO Box: 3/28/2019
  • I-797 extension letter  for ROC dated 4/2/2019  MSCxxxxxxxxxx received: 4/6/2019
  • Biometrics apt received for 4/25/2019: on 4/12/2019

Posted (edited)

Since the landlord already said that he wont give because a person doesn't have SSN, means landlord is in xxxxxxxx if you decide to report it.

If he had just said that we are unable to rent it to you, it would have been fine.

The purpose of the SSN is to do a BC / credit run, since he just came here, he is not going to have it, but that shouldn't be a thorn.

You could:

1. Submit the i-94 as proof

2. submit an ITIN number instead of SSN

Edited by Unlockable

10 minutes ago, mytruelove18 said:

You can print his i-94 from cbp page and take his passport and birthcertificate and go to get his social security number, i did that when i arrived on my k1 visa, before i get married

We've done that already and the social security office gave us a receipt saying it could take up to 4 weeks. We've been calling them all week because we are now over the 4 week mark. They said that USCIS has to verify his I94. Today we had an appointment with USCIS to see what the hold up is and they just told us "social security numbers can take a while." Even though the SS office said up to 4 weeks. Ugh. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, saladboye said:

Since the landlord already said that he wont give because a person doesn't have SSN, means landlord is in xxxxxxxx if you decide to report it.

If he had just said that we are unable to rent it to you, it would have been fine.

The purpose of the SSN is to do a BC / credit run, since he just came here, he is not going to have it, but that shouldn't be a thorn.

You could:

1. Submit the i-94 as proof

2. submit an ITIN number instead of SSN

I checked out getting an ITIN, but I thought that he was ineligible because he is eligible for a SSN. Did I misunderstand what I read? 

Edited by Unlockable

2 minutes ago, Meryem467 said:

I did a quick google search on this question and there is no law I could find that required a SSN in order to lease, but no obvious options either. You could try to try locating the tenancy group in TN.. a voluntary group that most landlords management groups are part of... and see if there are any suggestions from them 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.