Is this housing discrimination?

99 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
24 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

This is another reason the CR1 is so much better than the K1

You check the ds 260 for immigration to do the SS #

you can add the spouse as nonresident alien to tax returns giving him/her ITIN 

with that ITIN you can add to banking account (before they even come here)

and i was able with a POA add Adil to one utility bill and my one credit card

when he came he had SS card within 3 weeks and a credit score because he was on a bank checking and savings, water bill and credit card for all the years we waited to be approved

Wow! That’s awesome that you were able to do all of that before he even got here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline
18 hours ago, Meryem467 said:

Hello, my husband and I live in Tennessee and he is here on a K1 visa. We have already applied for AOS. We are trying to lease an apartment and many apartment offices have told us that they will not lease to use because my husband does not yet have his Social Security number. Does anyone know if this is even legal or what I should do? 

They are probably not discriminating.  They need SS card to verify identity, criminal, credit issues, the legality of being in the US &, etc.  Many apartment complexes are now performing not just credit checks, but also background checks.  They will not accept certain crimes committed.  I recently had to go through the same thing when I moved into my new apartment.  Good luck.   

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline
5 hours ago, missileman said:

With what other sources can a landlord run a criminal background check or a credit check?

That I'm not sure/doesn't know...

5 hours ago, missileman said:

In the apartment I rented, only occupants listed on the lease could stay in the apartment more than a few days.  It would have been a violation of the lease to have someone other than a listed person in the apartment for months.......If I were bringing a fiance here on a K-1, I would absolutely get that SSN as soon as possible.

Yeah I did remember something like that being mentioned but not fully.

However, if I can't bring my Fiancé into the apartment or such to stay with me, I'll have to go back to my old house and drive more to work and such. I did plan on trying to get SSN thing on the 10th day after of the arrival unless I can do it on day 1.

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-...]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, PandT said:

They are probably not discriminating.  They need SS card to verify identity, criminal, credit issues, the legality of being in the US &, etc.  Many apartment complexes are now performing not just credit checks, but also background checks.  They will not accept certain crimes committed.  I recently had to go through the same thing when I moved into my new apartment.  Good luck.   

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Meryem467 said:

Wow! That’s awesome that you were able to do all of that before he even got here.

yes married in 2010

added him as husband to those tax returns plus 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 

and to bank account with ITIN in 2011 

he got the visa in 2015

and i also say get a POA from new spouse 

and take paperwork with you when you married to fill out the I 130 together 

saves the mailing back and forth

18 minutes ago, WaterLeaf said:

That I'm not sure/doesn't know...

Yeah I did remember something like that being mentioned but not fully.

However, if I can't bring my Fiancé into the apartment or such to stay with me, I'll have to go back to my old house and drive more to work and such. I did plan on trying to get SSN thing on the 10th day after of the arrival unless I can do it on day 1.

Usually you can do it on day one. We did it fairly early in and had it before we were married if I remember correctly. We tried to do it on day 4 but there was an issue with the I-94 that we had to correct at a deferred inspection station.

note that it’ll always depend on the landlord. My husband wasn’t added onto the lease but was okay to live with me until we moved out a year later because I had been a great tenant for 4 years. This was with a big apartment ran by a management company, but they still worked with me. The only downside to doing that was for ROC I don’t have a lease with him on it for the first 9 months of marriage.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Once he gets the SSN gets in the apartment complex still wont be able to verify much or anything because it usually takes 6-12 months for things to start showing up.  They might just end up asking for a bigger deposit for him since they may not be able to verify work or rent history from another country.  This happened to us when we moved together to the USA in October when we went for our first apartment.  She got her SSN within weeks of arriving but since they couldn't verify much since she was new they just charged us more in deposit money. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

If she meets the rental/apartment's criteria (for things such as income or credit score) then another person can usually be added as an "occupant" on the lease - meaning their credit score/history isn't relevant, but they will still be subjected to a background check. As others have said though, the exact requirements can vary A LOT from place to place.

My fiance is arriving in May, and my current lease ends in August. I asked my landlord about what to do when he moves in, but she said she won't need his SSN/info until the lease renews in August (if we choose to stay there). This is likely because I have lived there nearly 4 years, and my roommate has been there 6 years, so she doesn't see it as a liability to give my soon-to-be husband the benefit of the doubt. 

When I've been looking at other apartments to get an idea of our options, 2 places had no idea how to respond to my questions about the unique circumstances K-1 visa holders are in (they said they'd need to check with upper management if we decided to apply), 2 said that it would not be an issue as long as he has an SSN, I meet their income requirements, and we both pass criminal checks, and 1 stated that we would both have to be on the lease, have SSNs, and pass the credit score requirement. 

Edited by beloved_dingo

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Most of the guys I know just drove with insurance only, never had driver licenses. 

Or neither, in the news today.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/deputies-woman-who-fatally-struck-girl-didn-t-have-driver-s-license-had-expired-visa/937240294

Deputies: Woman who fatally struck girl didn't have driver's license, had expired visa

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Folks, please stick to the OP's situation, which does not involve driver's licenses, insurance, et al.

-------

OP, have you consulted a real estate agent for advice yet?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:18 PM, Meryem467 said:

Hello, my husband and I live in Tennessee and he is here on a K1 visa. We have already applied for AOS. We are trying to lease an apartment and many apartment offices have told us that they will not lease to use because my husband does not yet have his Social Security number. Does anyone know if this is even legal or what I should do? 

Lawyer Cap Off

Is it legal to ask for a SSN,  They usually run a credit check.  Ways to get around it is to pay high deposit is most common way I have seen.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

30 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Lawyer Cap Off

Is it legal to ask for a SSN,  They usually run a credit check.  Ways to get around it is to pay high deposit is most common way I have seen.

It's possible/very easy to run credit and criminal background checks without a SSN, I've done it countless of times at work. 

OP, foreigners working temporarily in the US, new immigrants and others in similar situations do find apartments to rent. If you are having difficulties locating them in your area, a broker might be able to assist you.  

Timeline
2 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

Correct

How do you do it? Maybe if I can explain it to the apartment people they can try that.

3 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

Lawyer Cap Off

Thanks for the advice. I’ll try that. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.