proudtobabritgirl

Relocation blues

68 posts in this topic

So I've been here six weeks and the relocation blues has just hit me pretty damn hard. I didn't expect it to hit me so soon. For the past few days I just feel terrible. I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb here. Everyone comments on my accent and I just feel uncomfortable :(

Any tips from people who have felt this way? 

2 minutes ago, proudtobabritgirl said:

So I've been here six weeks and the relocation blues has just hit me pretty damn hard. I didn't expect it to hit me so soon. For the past few days I just feel terrible. I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb here. Everyone comments on my accent and I just feel uncomfortable :(

Ignore ignore ignore !!the important thing is your spouse understand you and love you..seriously my accent and grammar is worst but i don't care..just had an OBGYN appointment yesterday and one of the RN ask if i just learn english or i speak english from where i came from i feel a bit offended as i dunno what she meant by that but yea just ignore them do not let other people affect your life because of their limited understanding about us immigrants 😉

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
14 minutes ago, proudtobabritgirl said:

booze, booze, booze

It's worst during the holidays.  It will get better if you let it.

15 minutes ago, icanbenobody said:

Ignore ignore ignore !!the important thing is your spouse understand you and love you..seriously my accent and grammar is worst but i don't care..just had an OBGYN appointment yesterday and one of the RN ask if i just learn english or i speak english from where i came from i feel a bit offended as i dunno what she meant by that but yea just ignore them do not let other people affect your life because of their limited understanding about us immigrants 😉

My asawa's English was ok when she first got here and it was commented on at a blood work appt asking her where she was from. This was in CA by non-white people as well. The majority of the people we dealt with in Los Angeles was either 1st or 2nd generation Immigrants so they were just curious.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

It‘s harder around the holidays but it‘ll go away! Just don‘t pitty yourself..Go out, do things, start a new hobby that you couldn‘t do in your home country!

Also...I don‘t think she wanted to offend yoj because of your accent, most people I met are curious about where other people come from! 

58 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

My asawa's English was ok when she first got here and it was commented on at a blood work appt asking her where she was from. This was in CA by non-white people as well. The majority of the people we dealt with in Los Angeles was either 1st or 2nd generation Immigrants so they were just curious.

i dont usually get any comments about my accent or english speaking. Most people i encounter/talk says that my English is great and the accent is very lil and not bad..in that facility yesterday i talk to at least 5 different white and black American women and only 1 person ask me if i just learn english here or i started to speak english before i come here lol in some point i take that as an insult but i think you're right maybe she was just curious...i understand english pretty well and speak good english thats what matter right? hehe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, proudtobabritgirl said:

. I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb here. Everyone comments on my accent and I just feel uncomfortable :(

Americans love a British accent. Enjoy the attention. It's a compliment. Use it to your advantage. I suddenly became popular and smarter in America, all because of the British accent.  

26 minutes ago, icanbenobody said:

i dont usually get any comments about my accent or english speaking. Most people i encounter/talk says that my English is great and the accent is very lil and not bad..in that facility yesterday i talk to at least 5 different white and black American women and only 1 person ask me if i just learn english here or i started to speak english before i come here lol in some point i take that as an insult but i think you're right maybe she was just curious...i understand english pretty well and speak good english thats what matter right? hehe

Well that's the thing is my wife's English is really good like yours. She just went to this appt and they straight out asked my wife "Where are you from because we can tell you are not American?". The people were all Hispanic who asked her this btw. 

Southern accents throw my wife off on the phone. But for the most part she is ok with them in person. 

1 hour ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Well that's the thing is my wife's English is really good like yours. She just went to this appt and they straight out asked my wife "Where are you from because we can tell you are not American?". The people were all Hispanic who asked her this btw. 

Southern accents throw my wife off on the phone. But for the most part she is ok with them in person. 

Ill probably gonna be more offended if they say "we can tell you are not american"

Im weak and sensitive and always let most people negative comments affect me. Im still learning 

As of OP concern..just try not to take it personally when people comments on your accent. You are not alone all of us(immigrants) experience this.

Thanks for all the comments. I do get that im probably just being a moody Malcolm. 

It probably is just the holidays. I have steered away from alcohol as I don't think it's a very good idea! 

Just constantly feel like it's on the tip of my tongue that I want to go home. I want to be with my husband though. So it's a hard decision. 

7 hours ago, proudtobabritgirl said:

I have found that Americans love the British accent, they often think it's Australian, Irish or on one occasion French but they love it regardless 😁

The holidays are tough, we expect to feel the same cos we speak the same language and the culture doesn't seem massively different - it is different and you will miss the little things that made it special at home (crackers, pigs in blankets, charades or whatever). Give it time, you'll make new traditions and special memories. Get a care package from home, tell your other half how you feel, watch UK tv and plan for the future :)

Everything crossed for a smooth and stress free journey

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

When my husband arrived he always felt a little out of place.  Like others have said it takes time.  Without thinking about it, he started to have a routine and felt more like he’d found a place.  It’s a matter of footing and familiarity.  Just try everything, more than once.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Time! it took me 3 years to feel at home. Now i just can't see myself moving back to Sweden anymore. It just is not attractive anymore. 

It is going to suck, for a while, but as you start building and adding to your life, it will get easier. It takes time and it is natural so do not worry! I still get crazy anxiety in some official settings but i feel less and less as an outsider. Hike, bike, work out, go shopping, get out there! do not lock yourself in. 

Edited by Izor

Adjustment of Status

Date Filed : 2016-07-14

NOA Date : 2016-07-23

Bio. Appt. : 2016-08-08

Interview Date : 2016-10-25

Approval / Denial Date : 2016-10-25 APPROVED

Green card Received: 2016-11-02

Employment Authorization Document

Date Filed : 2016-07-14

Approved Date : 2016-09-19

(F) Every love story is beautiful but ours is my favourite (F)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.