proudtobabritgirl

Relocation blues

68 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, proudtobabritgirl said:

I'm back in England for two weeks. I've only been here 7 hours and I'm itching to go back home to California, to my husband, my job, my new little life already! 

I guess there is just no pleasing me :)

That's so good to hear!

On 1/10/2019 at 7:02 PM, proudtobabritgirl said:

I'm back in England for two weeks. I've only been here 7 hours and I'm itching to go back home to California, to my husband, my job, my new little life already! 

I guess there is just no pleasing me :)

Welcome back to the rain, to not turning right (left if you're driving again in the UK) at a red light, to tiny cars, expensive fuel, rude servers, tiny portions and overall ... england! Plus a little more rain, just incase you forgot that bit 😉

On a serious note, I'm just so glad you're not aching to stay, you're not regretting anything! It's all just a change of lifestyle I guess. 

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

15 hours ago, LukeU said:

Welcome back to the rain, to not turning right (left if you're driving again in the UK) at a red light, to tiny cars, expensive fuel, rude servers, tiny portions and overall ... england! Plus a little more rain, just incase you forgot that bit 😉

On a serious note, I'm just so glad you're not aching to stay, you're not regretting anything! It's all just a change of lifestyle I guess. 

Yes indeed. I had to buy a thick coat because I was struggling with the cold! 

I don't want to sound pretentious, because England is great and their are definitely worse places to live in the world. But, nothings changed here, I have and that's a good thing! 

Filed: Other Timeline
On 12/28/2018 at 1:04 PM, MrsCrabs said:

Hey, I know what you feel. I had the same for a few months when I just arrived, and I tried to call home often, and killed myself in a gym and when I got a job it stopped being that bad. All my time was about learning how to do my job well. On days off I went shopping and just was driving around to see places and try new food. It went away eventually. Its gonna sound stupid, but only time can help. When people ask me about my accent, which is not totally Russian now (I picked up a lot from my husband and  movies), and people can`t say where I am from (named Eastern European countries, now it between Alabama and Minnesota), but I like to reply with a serious face that I don`t have an accent, its them who speak with accent to me. I like British accent and I heard many Americans find it very curios and interesting and sexy ))) I`m sure they don`t want to make you feel uncomfortable on purpose. Do you like traveling? I`m sure theres a lot to see in California. Maybe start a photo blog?

I love your take on the accent thing!! It's refreshing to see that perspective.

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

On 12/28/2018 at 12:47 PM, proudtobabritgirl said:

So I've been here six weeks and the relocation blues has just hit me pretty damn hard. I didn't expect it to hit me so soon. For the past few days I just feel terrible. I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb here. Everyone comments on my accent and I just feel uncomfortable :(

Any tips from people who have felt this way? 

Please don't take it offensively! We (Americans) have a weird obsession with accents. haha and for obvious reason (because its awesome!) the British one is at the top of the list. I know it probably makes you feel a weird way but just look at it as people are genuinely interested in getting to know you and about you. Put a positive spin on it so it won't hit you so hard and feel special because you get to see the country that most of us see as "usual" through a fresh pair of eyes. Immigrants are the foundation of this country so feel proud of it!

Good luck on your journey, hon!

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

Citizenship:

5 hours ago, cduran said:

Please don't take it offensively! We (Americans) have a weird obsession with accents. haha and for obvious reason (because its awesome!) the British one is at the top of the list. I know it probably makes you feel a weird way but just look at it as people are genuinely interested in getting to know you and about you. Put a positive spin on it so it won't hit you so hard and feel special because you get to see the country that most of us see as "usual" through a fresh pair of eyes. Immigrants are the foundation of this country so feel proud of it!

Good luck on your journey, hon!

But why won't you, people who don't have a foreign accent (can't say "you Americans" because many people who have accents are also Americans) put yourself in our shoes? Why are you telling us how to feel? It's even more annoying than hearing about our accents. I've lived in the US for over 10 years, and i can tell you my attitude towards it did not change a bit. 

Pronunciation is an important part of the language, i find it very rude of people to comment on someone else's pronunciation. Basically you are telling them (us) that our language skills are not good enough when we are not asking you about your opinion. Many of us are trying to speak better, we are learning vowels and pitch and sounds and so on but then, after hours of studying we go outside and hear "what a nice accent", how do you think it makes us feel? Like we studied for nothing and can't even learn how to speak.

On top of that, it doesn't matter where I am from. No, it's not offensive at all, it just doesn't say anything about me and being asked about it and being associated with it is also annoying. I left that country long time ago, it's not "my" country anymore, i don't represent that culture. I don't see myself as being from an another country. When people ask me things about that country i don't know any more than those who ask. It's also very annoying. 

I think people should become more aware of this issue. Somehow we are all about racial equality, gender equality, people watch what they say in may other situations but everyone forget about accents and comment on them all they want, and then even worse - tell people how they should feel about it. 

Edited by banana_princess

Citizenship:

09/15/2020 - Filed online. Estimated completion given - July 2021 (10 months).

January 2021 - biometric reuse letter

April 2021 - interview scheduled

24/05/2021 - Interview (approved)

Passport:

July 23 - applied, expedited service

August 11 - received the passport

Aug. 16 (approximately) - received passport card

August 20 - received citizenship certificate back

Story of my almost 3 years long pending AOS - click below for details

Spoiler

• March 10 2015 - USCIS received i-130/i-485
  • March 30 2015 - got a RFE saying that my husband cannot be my sponsor because of his income, which is not true, but we didn't know what to do so we hired a lawyer.
  • August 10 2015 - interview (went great, by the way). Were told to wait 120 days.
  • December 10 2015, April 10 2016, May 10 2016 - sent SR, responses: "your case is pending"

• May 25 2016 - Went to Info Pass, the case is taken to the supervisor, were told we will get something in 30 days (of course, after 30 days we got nothing....).
  • June 27 2016 - Went to Info Pass again, they told us to wait for 2 more weeks and if we still get nothing send a service request letter by mail. Did it on the same day.
  • June 27 2016 - After Infopass, went to senator Durbin office in Chicago.
  • July 8 2016 - Went to Mike Quigley office.
  • July 8 2016 - Received useless response from Durbin. All they know is that the case is pending and it's in Chicago, can't do anything else.
  • July 12 2016: Infopass, spoke to the supervisor, promises promises.... more wait.
  • July 17 2016: Filed Ombudsman.
  • July 26 2016: Another info pass, same story. We talked to 3 supervisors already! I don't get it!
  • July 29 2016: Sent another useless SR just because.
  • Aug 9 2016: Talked to the officer we had interview with! She was supposed to mail us RFE a year ago but she forgot (!!!) ! They admitted it. Gave us RFE.
  • October 11 2016: Response to RFE is received by uscis (the RFE was ridiculous. Basically all same papers we ALREADY GAVE HER at the interview: bank statements, lease, etc).
  • October 20 2016: Infopass, useless, did not have time to wait for the supervisor.
  • November 9 2016: Infopass, talked to the supervisor, he said there are no problems with our case and he will make sure the officer will make a decision within a few days. Gave us his email and phone number, told us to contact him directly instead of going to info pass.
  • November 15 2016: emailed the supervisor, since a few days have passed and still no decision. No response.
  • November 17 2016: called the supervisor, no answer.
  • November 17 2016: sent Service Request about i-130 (Lol, like that will help..)
  • November 19 2016: sent a letter to the director of Chicago Field Office.
  • November 22 2016: sent Service Request about i-485 (Lol[2])
  • November 23 2016: talked to the supervisor again to learn that..........my medical and fingerprints have expired and i need to wait for a notice to do it all again.
  • November 25 2016: The response from the Field Office Director Martha Medina-Maltes: your case is pending and every effort is being made blah blah blah
  • December 5 2016: Received a response to i-485 SR that my case is "pending supervisor review"... absolutely random since the supervisor said i'll need redo my medical and fingerprints again.
  • December 19 2016: Went to USCIS, the officer came out and told me we need to come back for a 2nd interview!!! I'm shocked because our marriage is 100% real and i can't believe they have doubts about it! But i'm glad that it's at least something.
  • December 27: 2nd interview (Strokes). Reason: i-130 petition. We did fine but the officer said we will receive a NOID! Our lawyer said it must be something else, not our answers... but what?!

• Jan 23 - infopass, asked if anything was mailed regarding i-130. Were told that nothing was.
  • Jan 27 - sent a service request regarding I-130.
  • March 1 2017 - went to uscis (no info pass), our officer's supervisor finally gave us the noid full of nitpicking and lies, that shows that they do not pay attention to anything. 
  • March 10 2017 - 2 years AOS anniversary...wow. 
  • March 31 - The response to the noid is received by uscis!
  • June 1st - went to the office, the supervisor promised we will get the decision in 4-6 weeks.
  • July 19 - 7 weeks passed, went back to uscis. The supervisor said he will give the case to the officer tomorrow, we asked when we will get the decision, he said he doesn't know. 
  • September 6: My husband talked to the supervisor again, he said he gave the case to the other officer, and the case is huge so the officer has a lot to do, and we will get a decision in 2 weeks. 
  • September 25: Went back since no decision was received (as expected). The supervisor said the same thing: we will get a decision in 2 weeks
  • September 29: USCIS asked for medical! Eureka! First time in 2 and a half years they sent something by themselves! :wacko: i-130 still not approved.
  • October 2: Notice that i-130 is approved (notice date September 26, still no online update). Also went to get medical done (should be ready by the end of the week)
  • October 3:  biometrics
  • October 10: medical delivered to uscis! The waiting games begins again :wacko:
  • December 11: 2 months after medical was delivered talked to the supervisor again, he said the decision will be made BY tomorrow and we will find out from the website on Wednesday. 
  • December 14: Called uscis, tier 2 officer told me that the case is approved.
  • December 18: Received Approval notice (Dated December 12)

Long story short:
After the initial interview we received:

1) a RFE asking for the same papers again,

2) then were asked to come to the 2nd interview that went fine of course, 

3) then a NOID that was full of mistakes.

All that was given to us in person, only when we made our way straight to our officer. And still waiting. Lots of fun (not).

4) 6 months after receiving our response to the noid i-130 is approved. 2 years 6 months and 16 days of waiting for i-130. Supposed to take 5 months. No words.

5) After 2 years 9 months and 2 days (or 1008 days) of waiting i-485 is approved.

9 minutes ago, banana_princess said:

But why won't you, people who don't have a foreign accent (can't say "you Americans" because many people who have accents are also Americans) put yourself in our shoes? Why are you telling us how to feel? It's even more annoying than hearing about our accents. I've lived in the US for over 10 years, and i can tell you my attitude towards it did not change a bit. 

Pronunciation is an important part of the language, i find it very rude of people to comment on someone else's pronunciation. Basically you are telling them (us) that our language skills are not good enough when we are not asking you about your opinion. Many of us are trying to speak better, we are learning vowels and pitch and sounds and so on but then, after hours of studying we go outside and hear "what a nice accent", how do you think it makes us feel? Like we studied for nothing and can't even learn how to speak.

On top of that, it doesn't matter where I am from. No, it's not offensive at all, it just doesn't say anything about me and being asked about it and being associated with it is also annoying. I left that country long time ago, it's not "my" country anymore, i don't represent that culture. I don't see myself as being from an another country. When people ask me things about that country i don't know any more than those who ask. It's also very annoying. 

I think people should become more aware of this issue. Somehow we are all about racial equality, gender equality, people watch what they say in may other situations but everyone forget about accents and comment on them all they want, and then even worse - tell people how they should feel about it. 

Okay, first of all, I'm sorry you feel personally victimized by "Americans". You say you take no offense to being asked where you're from or asking about your accent but your four paragraph essay seems to indicate otherwise.

Secondly, we ALL have accents, even across the US there are regional accents. My effort to write her a message to cheer her up in NO way is me telling her how to feel as (luckily) we are free to feel what we feel.

Thirdly, pronounciation and lack of knowledge of the English language do not IN ANY WAY go hand in hand. I have often found that people with foreign accents have better pronounciation than some Americans because they work hard to learn the proper way to say things. 

I'm sorry your experience in the States has clearly not been up to your standard and hasnt changed your attitude on things, but coming to an immigration forum and ranting on someone's response about relating is a bit ironic. Understand that you cant change how people will react. I personally come from an immigrant family and have a soon-to-be immigrant fiance and in no way do I feel the OP is not entitled to feel the way she feels. All I did was give her a positive spin to what can be a good take on things. 

Maybe focus a bit more on intent over feeling victimized and things would flow better for you. Best of luck.

Spoiler

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

Citizenship:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, cduran said:

Okay, first of all, I'm sorry you feel personally victimized by "Americans". You say you take no offense to being asked where you're from or asking about your accent but your four paragraph essay seems to indicate otherwise.

Secondly, we ALL have accents, even across the US there are regional accents. My effort to write her a message to cheer her up in NO way is me telling her how to feel as (luckily) we are free to feel what we feel.

Thirdly, pronounciation and lack of knowledge of the English language do not IN ANY WAY go hand in hand. I have often found that people with foreign accents have better pronounciation than some Americans because they work hard to learn the proper way to say things. 

I'm sorry your experience in the States has clearly not been up to your standard and hasnt changed your attitude on things, but coming to an immigration forum and ranting on someone's response about relating is a bit ironic. Understand that you cant change how people will react. I personally come from an immigrant family and have a soon-to-be immigrant fiance and in no way do I feel the OP is not entitled to feel the way she feels. All I did was give her a positive spin to what can be a good take on things. 

Maybe focus a bit more on intent over feeling victimized and things would flow better for you. Best of luck.

Well said! I was thinking of a way to respond to this, and you beat me to it. You made the point better than I would have done.

4 minutes ago, cduran said:

Secondly, we ALL have accents, even across the US there are regional accents

i said "foreign accents"

4 minutes ago, cduran said:

Believe me, i am the last person who feels victimized over anything. It's simply annoying.

5 minutes ago, cduran said:

You say you take no offense to being asked where you're from or asking about your accent but your four paragraph essay seems to indicate otherwise.

Again, you are telling me how i feel : )

All i am saying is that people feel different than you. I see that its all fun for you, great, I do believe that you mean no harm, but may be think about how others feel too when you annoy them about their accents.

Citizenship:

09/15/2020 - Filed online. Estimated completion given - July 2021 (10 months).

January 2021 - biometric reuse letter

April 2021 - interview scheduled

24/05/2021 - Interview (approved)

Passport:

July 23 - applied, expedited service

August 11 - received the passport

Aug. 16 (approximately) - received passport card

August 20 - received citizenship certificate back

Story of my almost 3 years long pending AOS - click below for details

Spoiler

• March 10 2015 - USCIS received i-130/i-485
  • March 30 2015 - got a RFE saying that my husband cannot be my sponsor because of his income, which is not true, but we didn't know what to do so we hired a lawyer.
  • August 10 2015 - interview (went great, by the way). Were told to wait 120 days.
  • December 10 2015, April 10 2016, May 10 2016 - sent SR, responses: "your case is pending"

• May 25 2016 - Went to Info Pass, the case is taken to the supervisor, were told we will get something in 30 days (of course, after 30 days we got nothing....).
  • June 27 2016 - Went to Info Pass again, they told us to wait for 2 more weeks and if we still get nothing send a service request letter by mail. Did it on the same day.
  • June 27 2016 - After Infopass, went to senator Durbin office in Chicago.
  • July 8 2016 - Went to Mike Quigley office.
  • July 8 2016 - Received useless response from Durbin. All they know is that the case is pending and it's in Chicago, can't do anything else.
  • July 12 2016: Infopass, spoke to the supervisor, promises promises.... more wait.
  • July 17 2016: Filed Ombudsman.
  • July 26 2016: Another info pass, same story. We talked to 3 supervisors already! I don't get it!
  • July 29 2016: Sent another useless SR just because.
  • Aug 9 2016: Talked to the officer we had interview with! She was supposed to mail us RFE a year ago but she forgot (!!!) ! They admitted it. Gave us RFE.
  • October 11 2016: Response to RFE is received by uscis (the RFE was ridiculous. Basically all same papers we ALREADY GAVE HER at the interview: bank statements, lease, etc).
  • October 20 2016: Infopass, useless, did not have time to wait for the supervisor.
  • November 9 2016: Infopass, talked to the supervisor, he said there are no problems with our case and he will make sure the officer will make a decision within a few days. Gave us his email and phone number, told us to contact him directly instead of going to info pass.
  • November 15 2016: emailed the supervisor, since a few days have passed and still no decision. No response.
  • November 17 2016: called the supervisor, no answer.
  • November 17 2016: sent Service Request about i-130 (Lol, like that will help..)
  • November 19 2016: sent a letter to the director of Chicago Field Office.
  • November 22 2016: sent Service Request about i-485 (Lol[2])
  • November 23 2016: talked to the supervisor again to learn that..........my medical and fingerprints have expired and i need to wait for a notice to do it all again.
  • November 25 2016: The response from the Field Office Director Martha Medina-Maltes: your case is pending and every effort is being made blah blah blah
  • December 5 2016: Received a response to i-485 SR that my case is "pending supervisor review"... absolutely random since the supervisor said i'll need redo my medical and fingerprints again.
  • December 19 2016: Went to USCIS, the officer came out and told me we need to come back for a 2nd interview!!! I'm shocked because our marriage is 100% real and i can't believe they have doubts about it! But i'm glad that it's at least something.
  • December 27: 2nd interview (Strokes). Reason: i-130 petition. We did fine but the officer said we will receive a NOID! Our lawyer said it must be something else, not our answers... but what?!

• Jan 23 - infopass, asked if anything was mailed regarding i-130. Were told that nothing was.
  • Jan 27 - sent a service request regarding I-130.
  • March 1 2017 - went to uscis (no info pass), our officer's supervisor finally gave us the noid full of nitpicking and lies, that shows that they do not pay attention to anything. 
  • March 10 2017 - 2 years AOS anniversary...wow. 
  • March 31 - The response to the noid is received by uscis!
  • June 1st - went to the office, the supervisor promised we will get the decision in 4-6 weeks.
  • July 19 - 7 weeks passed, went back to uscis. The supervisor said he will give the case to the officer tomorrow, we asked when we will get the decision, he said he doesn't know. 
  • September 6: My husband talked to the supervisor again, he said he gave the case to the other officer, and the case is huge so the officer has a lot to do, and we will get a decision in 2 weeks. 
  • September 25: Went back since no decision was received (as expected). The supervisor said the same thing: we will get a decision in 2 weeks
  • September 29: USCIS asked for medical! Eureka! First time in 2 and a half years they sent something by themselves! :wacko: i-130 still not approved.
  • October 2: Notice that i-130 is approved (notice date September 26, still no online update). Also went to get medical done (should be ready by the end of the week)
  • October 3:  biometrics
  • October 10: medical delivered to uscis! The waiting games begins again :wacko:
  • December 11: 2 months after medical was delivered talked to the supervisor again, he said the decision will be made BY tomorrow and we will find out from the website on Wednesday. 
  • December 14: Called uscis, tier 2 officer told me that the case is approved.
  • December 18: Received Approval notice (Dated December 12)

Long story short:
After the initial interview we received:

1) a RFE asking for the same papers again,

2) then were asked to come to the 2nd interview that went fine of course, 

3) then a NOID that was full of mistakes.

All that was given to us in person, only when we made our way straight to our officer. And still waiting. Lots of fun (not).

4) 6 months after receiving our response to the noid i-130 is approved. 2 years 6 months and 16 days of waiting for i-130. Supposed to take 5 months. No words.

5) After 2 years 9 months and 2 days (or 1008 days) of waiting i-485 is approved.

4 minutes ago, Joyoussinger said:

Well said! I was thinking of a way to respond to this, and you beat me to it. You made the point better than I would have done.

Thank you!

The beauty of immigration comes from the blend of cultures, stories, and languages ☺

Spoiler

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

Citizenship:

12 minutes ago, banana_princess said:

i said "foreign accents"

Believe me, i am the last person who feels victimized over anything. It's simply annoying.

Again, you are telling me how i feel : )

All i am saying is that people feel different than you. I see that its all fun for you, great, I do believe that you mean no harm, but may be think about how others feel too when you annoy them about their accents.

Its not all fun for me lol trust me. Try being the only Mexican girl in a school full of white kids just because I was smart enough to be there. No matter how much I perfected my accent, it didnt change my face or my name. But I did learn to look at the bright side of things and I like to share that train of thought when I can. (Not tell people how to feel, as assumed)

Anyway, I hope that perspective works out for you. We are all different so to each his own.

Spoiler

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

Citizenship:

On 1/14/2019 at 1:31 PM, proudtobabritgirl said:

Yes indeed. I had to buy a thick coat because I was struggling with the cold! 

I don't want to sound pretentious, because England is great and their are definitely worse places to live in the world. But, nothings changed here, I have and that's a good thing! 

That didn't sound pretentious at all. I know how you mean, this place (England) has been the same now for the last 6-10 years and even just spending 3-4 weeks in the USA and just living, like the day to day stuff is all so different, a completely different way of life yet similar (if that makes any sense at all?!). 

I'm hoping the feeling will remain, I'm sure the missing family and missing knowing exactly where most things are will take some getting used to but. 

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey, people commenting on a British accent isn't so bad. For my husband, his accent has triggered the weirdest encounters with random people on the train here. As soon as he opens his mouth, the "Where are you from question?" pops up and when he answers "Russia," he's received responses such as "Are you a spy?", "Do you know Vladimir Putin runs this country?", "Did you help hack the election?" So yeah....fun times! British accent doesn't seem so bad in comparison honestly.

P.S. I currently live in Portland, OR and this town is a little out there (Keep Portland weird!)....that might also explain it. :alien:

Edited by millefleur

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

5 hours ago, millefleur said:

"Do you know Vladimir Putin runs this country?", "Did you help hack the election?"

dude, Portland IS weird! people here do ask me where my accent is from, but nobody gives a damn about putin etc. must be something in the Oregon water.

Edited by implife

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.