None11

wedding party after k1 approved.

42 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,  I am new here and I really need some advise from your experiences. So we have applied for k1 visa and are waiting for our noa2 which is supposed to come in few months meanwhile have planned our wedding in May, everything is set up , not an official wedding just a party with our loved ones. But I've been reading here other people who say that is to risky for the embassy even though we will have the wedding after I get the visa. What should I do? Cancell the wedding ?or applay for spousal visa

CANCEL.

Or do the wedding in country other than US BUT THEN cancel the K1 and apply for CR1.

Do NOT have any "wedding" parties before K1 is issues or before POE.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

just cancel the party and have it later

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

36 minutes ago, Going through said:

Depends on your idea of "party". 

If your idea of "party" is just going out to a nice dinner to celebrate over a meal together, or a night out on the town drinking with friends as a sort of bon voyage gathering----yeah, no real problem.

If your idea of "party" includes decorations, exchange of rings, cultural wear, photos, an officiant presiding over any type of religious ceremony/prayers---big problem.

Always better to cancel any sort of engagement party plans and have a reception in your home country AFTER marrying in the US.

The fact that you've referred to your party plans as a "wedding" twice in your post leads me to advise you to cancel your plans.

Yes it will be with exchange rings ,photos and cultural wear .etc

We also had a big engagement party and we provided some of our photos in our aplication, Will it be a problem to even get the case approved? Because we can cancel the wedding but we are not 100% sure we will get approved. It will be a big waste of time and money. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, None11 said:

If I were you, I wouldn't do it.  Your choice however, as it's your immigration journey.

3 minutes ago, None11 said:

We also had a big engagement party and we provided some of our photos in our aplication, Will it be a problem to even get the case approved?

Can depend on what the actual photos were of.

If you've already had a big engagement party in your home country---I don't fully understand the need for a second one, but that's just me.  

It sounds more like you want to have a mock-wedding in your home country presided over by some sort of religious officiant before entering the US...not the best idea, but again your choice, however I'd really advise against it.

If you really want to get married in your home country, have the USC withdraw the K1 and apply for a CR-1. 

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
1 hour ago, None11 said:

We also had a big engagement party and we provided some of our photos in our aplication, Will it be a problem to even get the case approved? Because we can cancel the wedding but we are not 100% sure we will get approved. It will be a big waste of time and money. 

Cancel the wedding.  It's a clear violation of the K1 visa.

It's a bigger waste of time and money to get your AOS denied for being married before entering the US. 

It's a bigger waste of time and money to get US citizenship denied for entering the US on a K-1 visa when married.  

Compare the waste of time and money on the wedding versus putting your immigration to the US at risk (even after living in the US for years on a green card.)

Suggest you research all the horrible things that have happened to people who had weddings before entering the US on K1 fiancee visas. 

Yes the CBP can deny the K1 visa holder entry if they suspect you are already married.  Since they can go through your electronics and social media these days, its not hard for them to find out. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Timeline

We did exactly what everybody here says NOT to do. So, there is my example of it not only being allowed and legal, but also practical and a safe way to go.

Where is all the evidence that the poster can not have a wedding party? He said it is "not an official wedding". That is all that matters. With no legal certification, he certainly could not get a spousal visa based on a photo album.  

Seriously people, if you don't know what you are talking about, how about not dispensing legal advice? Do you think it is easy for the couple to make a second round trip back to the old country to hold a wedding when it was doable while still there?

Sheesh! We had 350 people come to our wedding "party". "Wedding" does not equal ""legal marriage". Or, show me where someone successfully got a spouse visa based on some pictures and no legal document from the applicant's country certifying a legal marriage.

True, consulate officers have the discretion to deny an application due to suspicion of fraud ... so does the POE officer. But, I have not heard of this happening over a party that a VJ poster thought was too big. I do know of others who did a wedding party in the old country before coming to the US to get legally married.

my two cents and, like all free legal advice, worth every penny of it,

Greg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
1 hour ago, Greg.D. said:

We did exactly what everybody here says NOT to do. So, there is my example of it not only being allowed and legal, but also practical and a safe way to go.

Where is all the evidence that the poster can not have a wedding party? He said it is "not an official wedding". That is all that matters. With no legal certification, he certainly could not get a spousal visa based on a photo album.  

Seriously people, if you don't know what you are talking about, how about not dispensing legal advice? Do you think it is easy for the couple to make a second round trip back to the old country to hold a wedding when it was doable while still there?

Sheesh! We had 350 people come to our wedding "party". "Wedding" does not equal ""legal marriage". Or, show me where someone successfully got a spouse visa based on some pictures and no legal document from the applicant's country certifying a legal marriage.

True, consulate officers have the discretion to deny an application due to suspicion of fraud ... so does the POE officer. But, I have not heard of this happening over a party that a VJ poster thought was too big. I do know of others who did a wedding party in the old country before coming to the US to get legally married.

Greg

I don’t think anyone is really giving legal advice, they’re just talking from either experience or from the many VJ posters who clearly got denied a K1 over wedding/engagement party pictures that looked like a wedding was held to the CO legal or not. You can literally search K1 denials & A LOT of it is due to things like this, but people can choose to do whatever they want 🤷🏾‍♀️. Their petition, their risk.

Edited by gsdc23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline
2 hours ago, Greg.D. said:

Greg

No one is giving legal advice.

But what people are saying is that it is risky and could lead to a denial.

The only thing one has to do is ask themselves if it is worth the risk?

Keep in mind that having a "wedding party" is different depending on country/culture so a "wedding party" for one and a "wedding party" for another are not necessarily one in the same.

It's just risk assessment.

K1 Timeline

5/17/2017: I-129F sent to USCIS Lewisville, Texas via FedEx Ground Shipping
01/03/2018: NVC Received I-129F and Case Number Received
01/23/2018: Embassy Received
02/09/2018: Medical
03/19/2018: Interview 
03/19/2018: APPROVED!
03/21/2018: Visa in Hand

08/04/2018:  MARRIED!

AOS Timeline (I-485)

08/29/2018: AOS/EAD/AP sent to USCIS Chicago Lockbox via FedEx

09/12/2018: Received our NOA1 hard copy via mail

09/24/2018: Biometrics Appointment

12/27/2018: AOS Interview Scheduled by USCIS

02/13/2019: Interview

02/14/2019: AOS APPROVED!!!

02/20/2019: GREEN CARD ISSUED!!!

02/21/2019: GREEN CARD IN HAND!!!

Removal of Conditions Timeline (I-751)

11/13/2020: 90-day application window opened

12/12/2020: I-751 sent to USCIS Phoenix via UPS

12/17/2020: Received by USCIS

01/28/2021: Received NOA1 hard copy via mail

02/04/2021: Biometrics Waived 

11/08/2021: Received NOA hard copy for 24-month extension via mail

01/11/2022: Removal of Conditions Approved

01/15/2022: Hard copy of NOA received

01/18/2022: Permanent Resident Card in Hand!

Citizenship Timeline (N-400)

08/04/2021: 3-year marriage-based window opened

09/12/2022: N-400 filed online, Received by USCIS, NOA1 Digital copy received

09/14/2022: Biometrics Waived 

12/21/2022: Citizenship Interview Scheduled by USCIS (Vermont Field Office)

02/07/2023: Interview 

06/23/2023: Citizenship Oath!!!

VJ Was With Us From Beginning to END...THANK YOU VJ!!!

Search the forum and you'll see lots of people who have been denied for doing exactly this. No, it is not strictly prohibited. No, it does not guarantee a denial of the visa or entry at POE. Yes, many people have been denied. tldr: It's very risky.

Seriously people, if you don't know what you are talking about, how about not dispensing legal advice?

Nobody here is dispensing legal advice. That's against the TOS.

The wedding doesn't need to be legal for a CO to deny a K-1 visa. There are about 4 cases of this happening posted on VJ in just the past few weeks.

At thew same time, yeah...one needs a legal marriage for a CR-1/IR-1 visa. But there is a space between the too of being considered "too married" for  a K-1.

Another example:

Another one from this week:

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Greg

I am curious, at PoE, were you asked about that ceremony? Or were you just waved through? And what would've you answer been if you were to asked about it? As you said, PoE officer has a discretion. The advice people give is not legal, it is merely risk minimization. Do  you want to put your faith into that PoE officers has a good day, well trained, and fair, and would he look at the pictures of elaborate 350 ceremony, shrug, and say "looks like a wedding to me, thie visa is for fiance, not a wife, sorry, here is flight back?" Some people are just not willing to take the chance of that happening, regardless how low it might be in practical terms, so their advise comes from that place. Ultimitaly it is individual decision obviously. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Search the forum and you'll see lots of people who have been denied for doing exactly this. No, it is not strictly prohibited. No, it does not guarantee a denial of the visa or entry at POE. Yes, many people have been denied. tldr: It's very risky.

Nobody here is dispensing legal advice. That's against the TOS.

Were those denails by CO, or at PoE? To be honest I am rather curious if PoE denial due to "non-wedding" ceremony are relatively common. The OP question states explicitly AFTER k-1 issued, so it would be after CO/Interview phase. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.