None11

wedding party after k1 approved.

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If the OP is from a country where engagements are seen as too married for a K1 they won't have to worry about the wedding they will be having , they will be declared no eligible for a k1 .  They stated they included engagement photos.  

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
1 hour ago, NikLR said:

Op said they were having a wedding, not a party or celebration but a full wedding with vows, exchange of rings, and cultural clothing.  

Now a party would be different. 

Everyone does need to stop saying the CO will deny because the OP is considering this wedding after recieving the visa but before moving.  That means the CO is out of the picture. 

However the CBP could find out and deny entry.  Also when applying for AOS it could also come to light that the OP is already married. If they file AOS based on the K1 it may be possible to be denied since they violated the terms of the K1. 

I think at this point the OP can make a decision on risk vs reward.  

Legally if they marry before entry to the USA on a K1 visa, they have violated the term of that visa and entered illegally and cannot adjust on that visa.  If thry have a party that is not a wedding so friends and family can wish them well, then they have not.  But I strongly suggest not exchanging vows, rings or wearing cultural wedding attire. 

I am just asking for clarification here... you said "If they file AOS based on the K1 it may be possible to be denied since they violated the terms of the K1" ... I am curious as to what you mean by this. Having an engagement party AFTER coming to the U.S. and BEFORE the marriage (remember that engagement party is absolutely inside U.S. cultural norms) that is violating terms of the K1?

Also "if" they file AOS based on the K1?.... I'm not really sure what you mean by "if". Sorry, just wanting clarification for my own curiosity and knowledge.

Thanks!

NOA1 New Site: March 6th, 2018

NOA2: Sept 12th, 2018

Case # available as well as case leaving NVC both on Oct 1st, 2018

Embassy received on Oct 2nd, 2018

Medical Appointment Oct 12th, 2018

Interview at Ankara Embassy on Oct 22nd, 2018 - APPROVED!

POE San Fransisco on Dec 1st, 2018

Married Dec 10th, 2018

NOA for I-485/765/131 Feb 1st, 2019

Interview for I-485 June 19th, 2019 - APPROVED! (Interview was before we received Work Auth Card!)

4 hours ago, NigeriaorBust said:

If the OP is from a country where engagements are seen as too married for a K1 they won't have to worry about the wedding they will be having , they will be declared no eligible for a k1 .  They stated they included engagement photos.  

you think they will see the engagement party like a wedding? we provided photos with our families and other people who were invited. This is what I am mostly worried about. We can cancel the wedding and wait for K1 approved ,if they don't approve it we will be wasting our time which is the most important in all this journey. 

15 hours ago, Greg.D. said:

Running through a red light is the same as having a legal party? Don't think so. 

To the original poster and others who find this thread: stand up for your rights, have your wedding celebration but don't get legally married prior to entering the US on a K1 visa

Others' anecdotes of being denied entry would need closer examination to understand the totality of the refusal. People should believe in what they do and you can't fear an incorrect decision at the POE. Certainly, reports of people being unreasonably denied a fiancé or spouse visa should not stop one from trying. 

So, what country was your interview in?

2 hours ago, None11 said:

Thank you everyone, realized we have only two options : cancel the wedding or fly back get married and apply for cr1 ( which I wonder if that will look supsicious in the eye of consular, why did we change the forms) has anyone else here have the same experience? would be very helpful.

You mean you were planning on getting married, thn enter US on a K-1?

I assumed you meant you were making plans on getting married in the USA in May, though you didn't have your interview yet.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, None11 said:

Thank you everyone, realized we have only two options : cancel the wedding or fly back get married and apply for cr1 ( which I wonder if that will look supsicious in the eye of consular, why did we change the forms) has anyone else here have the same experience? would be very helpful.

It won't look suspicious or nefarious in any way----quite the opposite--- it will look as if you are taking the proper steps by withdrawing the K1 and applying for the CR-1 which would be suitable for your case.

You won't be the first couple to cancel the K1 and apply for the CR1---happens more frequently than you think. :) 

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, <3T&M<3 said:

"If they file AOS based on the K1 it may be possible to be denied since they violated the terms of the K1" ... I am curious as to what you mean by this. Having an engagement party AFTER coming to the U.S. and BEFORE the marriage (remember that engagement party is absolutely inside U.S. cultural norms) that is violating terms of the K1?

That's not the issue----having an engagement party/wedding after arriving in the US is perfectly fine.

The issue with the OP is that they are not planning an engagement party---they are planning a mock-WEDDING in the home country BEFORE arriving in the US on a K1 visa (in other words they may already be seen to be "married" in another country before arriving to be "married" in the US.  The OP has stated in this thread that there would be cultural wear, a "wedding ceremony", and an exchange of rings in the home country after the K1 is approved...which the majority of members are advising them not to risk before entry into the US, and instead postpone the second wedding until after legally marrying in the States.

That's where the possible K1 violation would come in, when filing for the AOS and may lead to a denial of the AOS....all based on the IO adjudicating their case when evaluating the evidence infront of them.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Even though the OP has chosen not to tell us where the interview will be we all know the answer to half his questions deal with what consulate they are at.   Being they are giving the information on a site monitored by immigration and immigration can see IP addresses and know people I guess the OP is happy with us knowing half the answer and immigration seeing so much more.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
On 11/17/2018 at 8:30 AM, Greg.D. said:

Where is all the evidence that the poster can not have a wedding party? He said it is "not an official wedding".

Seriously people, if you don't know what you are talking about, how about not dispensing legal advice? Do you think it is easy for the couple to make a second round trip back to the old country to hold a wedding when it was doable while still there?

Here is your evidence. 

Once CBP suspects a marriage took place it is on the beneficiary to prove one did not take place. 

Proving a negative is impossible.  

I’ve little sympathy for the argument that it is too hard or expensive to go back to the old country to hold a traditional wedding ceremony. If one cannot afford a to have a foreign spouse then don’t have one. 

Edited by Mike E

9 hours ago, None11 said:

Nope it won't be suspicious and it's the right thing to do if you decide getting married first is more important than the K1.

Here is ANOTHER thread posted TODAY about this topic. The person proves our point in the first 3 sentences. 

Edited by mushroomspore

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.