None11

wedding party after k1 approved.

42 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Shiran said:

Were those denails by CO, or at PoE? To be honest I am rather curious if PoE denial due to "non-wedding" ceremony are relatively common. The OP question states explicitly AFTER k-1 issued, so it would be after CO/Interview phase. 

Most denials for this are at the embassy stage. There's a handful denied at POE, but I'm assuming that's due to less scrutiny and less people who follow that line of events.

The refusal is based on ineligability of the visa, so CBP is certainly permitted to deny entry if they believe one is no longer eligible for the visa (i.e. if they are believed to be already married).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

2 hours ago, Greg.D. said:

We did exactly what everybody here says NOT to do. So, there is my example of it not only being allowed and legal, but also practical and a safe way to go.

Where is all the evidence that the poster can not have a wedding party? He said it is "not an official wedding". That is all that matters. With no legal certification, he certainly could not get a spousal visa based on a photo album.  

Seriously people, if you don't know what you are talking about, how about not dispensing legal advice? Do you think it is easy for the couple to make a second round trip back to the old country to hold a wedding when it was doable while still there?

Sheesh! We had 350 people come to our wedding "party". "Wedding" does not equal ""legal marriage". Or, show me where someone successfully got a spouse visa based on some pictures and no legal document from the applicant's country certifying a legal marriage.

True, consulate officers have the discretion to deny an application due to suspicion of fraud ... so does the POE officer. But, I have not heard of this happening over a party that a VJ poster thought was too big. I do know of others who did a wedding party in the old country before coming to the US to get legally married.

my two cents and, like all free legal advice, worth every penny of it,

Greg

Yet we have proof from actual members who were denied doing exactly what you did. @geowrian posted a couple of examples. If you need more I will be happy to post more throughout the years participatating on this board. 

Of course there are people, like you, who will have such events without ever being affected. That does NOT mean it doesn’t happen. And honestly, that form of thinking that everybody can do because you did is ignorant thinking. If you run through a red light and don’t get in an accident or a ticket, it doesn’t mean everybody else will. 

Seriously, open your mind.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Timeline

Running through a red light is the same as having a legal party? Don't think so. 

To the original poster and others who find this thread: stand up for your rights, have your wedding celebration but don't get legally married prior to entering the US on a K1 visa

Others' anecdotes of being denied entry would need closer examination to understand the totality of the refusal. People should believe in what they do and you can't fear an incorrect decision at the POE. Certainly, reports of people being unreasonably denied a fiancé or spouse visa should not stop one from trying. 

"I shoplifted once before and no one caught me, surely it means that it's fine for everyone else to shoplift also and absolutely nothing bad will happen. 100% guarantee!" 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

2 minutes ago, Greg.D. said:

Wow, the drama here! Having a party in your fiance's home country is compared to running a red light and shoplifting. Also, someone said it is a clear violation of the law. 

To anyone reading this thread now and in the future, you are in perfect legal compliance to have a wedding celebration prior to arriving in the U.S. I encourage you to do as I and 1000's of others have done and take that opportunity to celebrate with those who may not be able to travel to the U.S. to participate in an official and legal wedding. 

Don't go through this process in fear. You know others get denied at various stages of the immigration process and have to fight for their future life together, but you don't let that stop you either. Be smart and be legal. Good luck!

Greg

Most posters are erring on the side of caution, which is a much better approach. Unless you are suggesting that you will pay for the "fearless" people who will get caugt after their wedding?  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, Greg.D. said:

We did exactly what everybody here says NOT to do. So, there is my example of it not only being allowed and legal, but also practical and a safe way to go.

Where is all the evidence that the poster can not have a wedding party? He said it is "not an official wedding". That is all that matters. With no legal certification, he certainly could not get a spousal visa based on a photo album.  

Seriously people, if you don't know what you are talking about, how about not dispensing legal advice? Do you think it is easy for the couple to make a second round trip back to the old country to hold a wedding when it was doable while still there?

Sheesh! We had 350 people come to our wedding "party". "Wedding" does not equal ""legal marriage". Or, show me where someone successfully got a spouse visa based on some pictures and no legal document from the applicant's country certifying a legal marriage.

True, consulate officers have the discretion to deny an application due to suspicion of fraud ... so does the POE officer. But, I have not heard of this happening over a party that a VJ poster thought was too big. I do know of others who did a wedding party in the old country before coming to the US to get legally married.

my two cents and, like all free legal advice, worth every penny of it,

Greg

we see happen ALL THE TIME at least ONCE A WEEK. not legally married but go and show some photos to the wrong CO and now you HAVE to get married cause youre too married for a K1. those denials happen ALL. THE. TIME.

just because you managed to get away with it does not mean it is common

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

15 hours ago, None11 said:

Hello everyone,  I am new here and I really need some advise from your experiences. So we have applied for k1 visa and are waiting for our noa2 which is supposed to come in few months meanwhile have planned our wedding in May, everything is set up , not an official wedding just a party with our loved ones. But I've been reading here other people who say that is to risky for the embassy even though we will have the wedding after I get the visa. What should I do? Cancell the wedding ?or applay for spousal visa

The K1 is called the fiancé(e) visa. If you have a party that looks like a wedding, you're not gonna look like a fiancé(e) anymore. You're gonna look like you're married, which disqualifies you from the K1. It's not that hard to understand.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

OP called it a wedding, OP has applied for a K1.

Getting married and then moving would be a CR1.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.