Kawika & Michelle

Step Kids Not Accepting Step Mom

58 posts in this topic

Immigrating to a new country is hard enough, and becoming a stepparent on top of that can be tough. It probably doesn't help that she had to leave her own children behind to now be a stepparent to your children. I can only imagine how much she is struggling, and she really needs your support to start building a relationship with your children. 

When I moved here, I became a stepmother of an 8 year old girl. It was a huge change, and it took a lot of hard work to build a relationship with her, also because deep down she was hoping that her parents would get back together and me marrying her dad made it very clear that that was not going to happen. It takes a lot of time, patience, hard work, and honest conversations to successfully build your blended family, and you have a very important role in it as you try to support and encourage everyone to connect. I agree that getting out of the house and doing activities together are a great way for them to start bonding. My stepdaughter and I went on tons of bike rides together, which were great opportunities to get to know each other better.

Edited by Marieke H

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

The 8 yr old I can see having some issues sharing you. Of course now that the newness has worn off she wants life as it was. You're going to have to go the extra mile with the youngest. I know you're spread thin as it is but you will find a way. It seems pretty common with some from the PI to have more issues with children from a previous marriage then others. 

My relationship with my youngest hasn't changed per say. We still spend time together. I still show her the same level of love & affection I always have. I guess the main issue for her may be that my fiancé is encroaching on what used to be her space. After their mom left, my youngest still slept in the bed with me, used my ex's closet and we shared the master bathroom. She eventually moved in to her own room...but there were still occasions when she would sleep in my bed and she always got ready for school in the master bathroom (she still does). This is largely because all of my kids are selfish to some degree. Even when my ex was here our youngest got ready with us while my oldest daughter used the guest bathroom and our son primarily used the half bath (other than for showers). They all get upset if any of the others use "their" designated toilets. So much so that even in the middle of the night...my youngest would still walk all the way across the house to come in & use the master bathroom toilet instead of the guest bathroom right next to her room.

My fiancé has already expressed that she is jealous when she sees how I interact with my daughter and somehow feels that I don't give her the same level of love. From my perspective...I think she overlooks the simple fact that our relationships are very different. My daughter is always loving & caring towards me...so it is just natural and easy for me to be the same way with her. But with my fiancé & I...we occasionally have to go through our ups & downs so there may be times when one of us may be hurt and that level of love that my daughter always gets may not be available right away. When my fiancé gets upset...she gets vicious...like no holds barred...will say anything she can to hurt you type of thing. I'm a very patient & slow to anger type of person...so when she tries to hurt me when she feels like I hurt her...she keeps escalating things because I am not giving her the response that she wants. It's not uncommon for her to escalate things to the point where she is swearing at me, throwing insults at me, telling me how bad of a partner I am, threatening to leave and most recently threatened to harm herself if I wasn't going to pay for her to go home right away. While I don't outwardly show her that I am hurt, it does take its toll over time and I need some time to realize that she was just hurt & lashing out.

22 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

I'm hate the Ms First name bull as I do not see it as a respect thing. Its a power/control thing. Respect is earned it is not a given.  That is another difference between me and some of these southerners. I'm in Arkansas and boy oh boy the culture shock.  Do they call all of your  friends by Ms/Mr Name? If so then no big deal but if it is just your fiancé and just now then ya that's another wedge.  My four have always called their step dad by his first name. It's not a lack of respect it is his name. They also use all my friends first names. Again if this is not new in your life then no big deal,  if it is then ya another wedge. Do you expect them to call her Mrs first name once you're married? I have never seen a family where the step mom goes by Ms/Mrs that is just weird.

I think this is just a cultural & an age thing. I'm 50...so I'm sure I grew up in a different time than most. I never even knew my parent's names for most of my life as a kid lol. They were simply mom & dad. My relatives were Uncle FirstName, Aunt FirstName, Grandpa, Grandma, Oma & Opa, etc. I grew up in a time when your parents weren't your "friends"...they were adults...and your parents. When I was a kid...I would personally feel disrespectful if I was to refer to an adult by their first name alone. But that's just a function of how all of us were brought up. As far as the future goes...we haven't really thought about it. I thought it was more important to give the kids time to call her what made them most comfortable while still being respectful. I think I will leave that between my fiancé & the kids. I'd hope that at some point they would feel comfortable enough to refer to her as mom or some derivative of that...but that's not something I will ever expect or force them to do. While you may feel it is weird...I would feel the same level of weirdness to not do it. Even for just a teacher...I could never imagine just referring to them by their first name unless I was close to the same age as them...and still I would at least be respectful enough to recognize their position of authority. Even growing up my friends & I referred to one another's parents by Mr/Mrs LastName. 

33 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

I will not touch what the culture of the PI is as I have no clue. But from the little bit here and there I read I call bull of kids there being more respectful. Your fiancé has already shown her lack of respect with her temper tantrums to get her way. So how would kids being raised to act like that be better behaved then US kids. Ok ya I guess I did touch the culture thing.

For a chance at enlightenment, the Philippines teaches a tradition called "Mano Po" where anyone of a younger age presents themselves to the older people in the room...grabbing their hands & placing their hand to their foreheads while saying "Mano Po". It basically translates to "Bless me Sir/Ma'am". They are an Asian culture where in general the older generations are simply much more respected than in other cultures where you must "earn" respect first. I grew up in Hawai'i with a lot of Asian blood in me, so that type of respect is natural to me. My kids were just brought up differently...and while we have tried our best to course correct it over time...it still hasn't caught on yet. It isn't uncommon for my older kids to just walk into the room without acknowledging the existence of anyone else there...including my ex & I as their parents. So yes...you can blame us there for that one. If my kids had grown up around my family...things would have been different...

39 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

They will all come together with time, the youngest needs to feel secure she is not losing you. Go out of your way, to make sure she knows, but at the same time don't make your fiancé feel like a third wheel. It is hard and you will make mistakes but just keep trying and you can get through it. I agree it is most likely your fiancé's reactions that trigger your youngest to feel insecure. Plenty of hugs and love you to her will help too.

I hear you & totally understand. I'm doing the best I can :) 

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><
Kawika & Michelle

Together since June 10th, 2020.

Cebu, Philippines to Katy, TX.

Facebook group for Filipinas & their partners who are living in or will be moving to Texas...

www.facebook.com/groups/texasfilipinacouples/

Timeline
35 minutes ago, Adventine said:

She actually threatened to leave you in front of your kids? 

Not directly in front of them per say...but we were staying in a suite with two bedrooms in the Philippines...so when she left...they would become aware of her absence. We have never fought in front of my kids. I simply wouldn't do that or allow it.

37 minutes ago, Adventine said:

That's beyond tampo. It's toxic. It's disrespectful to you and destabilizing to the entire family. A mature, stable Filipina won't do that in front of your kids. It's a clear play to make you choose between her and them. She's creating drama and emotional blackmail so that she gets her way.

On some level I have thought about this as she is the only Filipina I have dated and we all see the videos online talking about how wonderful Filipinas can be...but in the same respect I know enough about her background to know why she acts the way she does. She has had some severe trauma in her life including being in an abusive relationship with her only other partner (both physically & emotionally), she has been abused by her family both physically & emotionally, she has been told by her own family members that she is ugly & worthless, she willingly gave up her oldest son because he wanted to be with his father & his family (they spoiled the oldest son), she has been through the loss of a stillborn child, etc. I only bring these things up to kind of give you the depth of the damage that she's experienced in her life & has not fully recovered from it. Sure if I wanted an easier road...I could certainly abandon her like everyone else has done in her life to find someone "better" or I can stay and help her through these hurdles in her life. For me at least...I feel like God has shown me who she can be & not just who she is now. I think what she does is primarily out of fear. She knows that I could find someone "better", "prettier" or whatever if I wanted to...I have all of the "6"s that most women here in the US are looking for...I just don't want them. So in my fiancé's mind...it is easier for her to run away from me & be the one to break us up than to take the risk of having her heart broken yet again. I know it's not healthy...but this is who I am with...and I am not just going to abandon her if she is willing to fight for us.

46 minutes ago, Adventine said:

You mention she has kids of her own. Any plans to petition them? Because the power plays are going to be much worse when her bio kids arrive in the US.

The oldest doesn't want to come and she has already allowed him to stay with his father's family...so we have no plans to petition for him unless he changes his mind. Her youngest will be coming on the follow to join program. I already knew that she would have a hard time adjusting to life here as well as adjusting to being a wife, step mom, etc...so I felt it was best for her son to remain behind until we got settled here first. We second guessed this choice a few times...but ultimately we decided against it in the end. Her son is at the age where he needs almost 24/7 attention so I knew that if he was here that she would not have time for anything or anyone else. We also needed time to make the house safer for him as I am sure that he will be curious and wanting to get into every possible thing that he can here. It's been awhile since we've had a young child that I've had to really keep my eye on constantly...so we needed that time to get our home ready. I also wanted the extra time to set our marital foundation before we added his dynamic into the mix. I am still supporting her mom & her son while he is there.

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><
Kawika & Michelle

Facebook group for Filipinas & their partners who are living in or will be moving to Texas...

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Adventine said:

This is not a culture or age thing. This is abuse.

This comment was in reference to something else & is being taken out of context. This is in relation to how we have our children address adults.

17 minutes ago, Adventine said:

How do you think she's going to talk to your kids when you're away and once she's secured her green card?

If I thought for one second she was a truly mean person, I would have ended the relationship long ago.

15 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Seriously?  How did you think it was a good "surprise".  It's not a new TV.   I think it's disrespectful to your kids, and your wife. I hope they are more forgiving than I am, because I'm really upset. 

As I had explained previously...the kids were formally introduced to her in person in March. They knew of her existence well before then and that we were on the K1 immigration process. This is not just like a brand new person randomly showed up in their house. They were told in March that based on our speculation and what little everyone knew of the timelines that she would be living with us no later than June. As luck would have it...it moved up a couple of weeks from what we had all planned. Granted...I could have & should have explained every step of the process for them...but I didn't...and it cannot be undone. 

No one had an unkind word to say about her & everyone got along during our trip to meet her & her family. There were no red flags that made me feel that any of my children needed any additional conversations regarding the situation. If I had noticed any issues between my children & my fiancé...we would have addressed it immediately and if it could not have been resolved...then we would not have moved forward with our relationship.

Kawika & Michelle

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

OP, this is not an immigration issue......You have 90 days to walk down the aisle, that's the part that concerns immigration.

Now, for your own good, ignore all relationship advises here, that's why counsellors and therapists exist. Consult one and they will help you make a life long decisions from a neutral angle;they are trained for that. There different folks here, from different background and each will give you advises based on who they are and what they feel is right, you will be doing yourself a lot of harm taking some of these. 

Stick to visa journey for immigration related steps ONLY............IMO

1 hour ago, Kawika & Michelle said:

My fiancé has already expressed that she is jealous when she sees how I interact with my daughter and somehow feels that I don't give her the same level of love. From my perspective...I think she overlooks the simple fact that our relationships are very different. My daughter is always loving & caring towards me...so it is just natural and easy for me to be the same way with her. But with my fiancé & I...we occasionally have to go through our ups & downs so there may be times when one of us may be hurt and that level of love that my daughter always gets may not be available right away. When my fiancé gets upset...she gets vicious...like no holds barred...will say anything she can to hurt you type of thing. I'm a very patient & slow to anger type of person...so when she tries to hurt me when she feels like I hurt her...she keeps escalating things because I am not giving her the response that she wants. It's not uncommon for her to escalate things to the point where she is swearing at me, throwing insults at me, telling me how bad of a partner I am, threatening to leave and most recently threatened to harm herself if I wasn't going to pay for her to go home right away. While I don't outwardly show her that I am hurt, it does take its toll over time and I need some time to realize that she was just hurt & lashing out. -Grown adult women should be able to control their feelings of jealousy towards an 8 year old. You might be able to realize she is just hurt & lashing out but will your children be able to realize the same thing? Is it fair to your children to have an adult fight them for their dad's affection? She should be doing everything to try and build relationships with your children. They should not be the ones forced to make the majority of concessions (IMO). 

42 minutes ago, Kawika & Michelle said:

Not directly in front of them per say...but we were staying in a suite with two bedrooms in the Philippines...so when she left...they would become aware of her absence. We have never fought in front of my kids. I simply wouldn't do that or allow it. And what about after you are married and she goes against your wishes? She is a grown adult. You cannot control her. She hasn't been around your children for that long so fighting in front of them is not a given. Although I wonder what you call her storming out on you and having your 8 year old beg her to come back... 

32 minutes ago, Kawika & Michelle said:

As I had explained previously...the kids were formally introduced to her in person in March. They knew of her existence well before then and that we were on the K1 immigration process. This is not just like a brand new person randomly showed up in their house. They were told in March that based on our speculation and what little everyone knew of the timelines that she would be living with us no later than June. As luck would have it...it moved up a couple of weeks from what we had all planned. Granted...I could have & should have explained every step of the process for them...but I didn't...and it cannot be undone. The children were only introduced to her in March. You might have been in a relationship with her for 3 years but there relationship is still very new. Especially because she was on an entirely different continent and not in their every day life. You need to give it some time and I would delay the wedding and work on the relationships. 

But, I second the suggestions you go to Family Therapy. Though I'm not sure she will agree to going to therapy... 

Also, not a parent. But, I think you should put your children first. Especially your youngest (the older two have a lot more autonomy and freedom and can leave the house when things get tense). You don't want to teach your youngest child that your new wife comes first and tantrums, hiding in your room, and the silent treatment are tolerated in relationships. It might seem like you introduced her slowly to your children but in a perfect world if she lived in the US. It would be a slow build of activities outside the house for a few months maybe even years before you all moved in together. Instead a new person has just suddenly appeared in their home occupying a lot of their father's time and usurping your youngest's bathroom. 

ETA: If you do not believe in divorce. I would definitely delay the wedding. But, immigration wise this might not be smart if you are still hoping for AP for you wife-to-be to go over to pick up her son after his visa is issued. 

Edited by Redro

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
4 hours ago, Family said:

Postpone the wedding. ..as long as you need to.

Teens = Emotional Terrorists and you are a good Dad and Awesome Benevolent Ruler of the Living Room.

Your  partner is a bit immature without realistic expectations of stepping into role of step mom.
Talk it out , figure out YOUR boundaries..cause her threats of “leaving” and complaining to you instead of slowly figuring out a healthy interaction with each child …IS / WILL BE a never ending stressor.

I was married to women with children, I never wanted to be DADY. I understood raising someone else child, was a thankless job. I was prepared for I AM GOING TO TELL MY DADY. You not my dady.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.