Ruddin

My gay husband threaten me for divorce and my immigration status will be gone

31 posts in this topic

hello all  I have  a question related to the immigration and I would like to get advice on that .i moved here in USA 2017 and i received my green card for 2 years 2018 June .Right now I have a conditional green card and applied for my permanent green card last year July 2020 and after that I received an 18 months extension. I am still waiting for my permanent green card but in between my spouse told me just this week he filed for a divorce. I just wanted to talk with you and understand what my options are and i am still living with my spouse in same apartment since i moved here and after i moved here he was so much abusive by mentally ,Verbally ,Physically and immigration related . Specially all the time he used threat me to give divorce and send me to my country and he used to force me to work for his business without any payment and top of that i used to work outside and every month i have to pay him for my rent and i have to pay my all expenses. Two times he hited  me physically  ,one time he throw raw fish on me and another time he throw chandelier on me and told me ** I am not going to jail because of you*** .also i have to do house cleaning ,laundry ,cooking and other stuff and if i am not able to do all the time he used to do screaming and shouting with me and telling me i am USA citizen so i am not worry for anything . also his dad always make fun and joke about my religion and country and told me i am terrorist because i am Muslim. he do sell outside some kind of oil and i do work from home for IT com. but he forced me to do what he do. Now he filed a divorce without my consent and signature even we are not mutually agree. what should i do at this moment .. Should i take family lawyer or what and i have already immigration lawyer and that lawyer his friend and i was not able to talk much with my process.  I am a Washington dc resident. I am really worried about my immigration situation.

Just now, Ruddin said:

then what are my option what should i do?

You should get a divorce lawyer.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

As said, divorce is the best option. You will still be get the 10 year GC after you divorce him and update your ROC case with the divorce waiver if they don't see anything fishy on when you two got married.

If you don't divorce and you are called for the interview, it will be denied for sure based on not having a bonafide marital relationship.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
40 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

same advice we give to any immigrant with this problem 

keep yourself safe 

call 911 if he assaults you again / you have the same fights to not be mistreated as anyone else in the US

ask police if there is a safe house for abuse for you to go to and if not get out to a safe place / you own apartment or rent a room

true you do not have to sign divorce papers but you do have to be served with them

and each state has its own divorce laws so you need to at least consult an attorney for the rules in your state   / good idea is to look up your state and divorce laws 

then hire the proper lawyers divorce and immigration to help you

but stay safe and so sorry for what you go thru

BTW  he can't just send you back

sorry i meant rights not fights

Hello Bro,

I will advise you to gather the maximum evidences that you can get such recording him, taking pictures, and if he hurts you physically, call the police and report him.

You can also see a therapist, or psychologue.

Please, be smart and never try to hurt him because he will use it for domestic violence and it is a deportable offense.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ruddin said:

Now he filed a divorce without my consent and signature even we are not mutually agree. what should i do at this moment .. Should i take family lawyer or what and i have already immigration lawyer and that lawyer his friend and i was not able to talk much with my process.  I am a Washington dc resident. I am really worried about my immigration situation.

Definitely move out now to a safe place and get a good divorce attorney.  Protect yourself and your financial rights.  Depending on the divorce laws in Washington DC, you may be able to receive some financial compensation from him.  Also, if your immigration lawyer is his friend, it would be good to find another one.  You can continue the ROC process with a divorce waiver so it is in your best interest to get divorced.  So sorry you're going through this terrible experience, hopefully you can heal in time.  Your immigration journey is your own, you can stay in the US if you want to.  Gather documents that show your marriage relationship was bona fide, since filing your ROC, such as shared bank account statements, joint credit cards, joint tax transcripts, etc.  Make sure you update USCIS with your new mailing address, and since your I-551 green card extension goes until September of 2021, get a passport stamp before then as the ROC process with a divorce waiver continues.  Good luck!  I hope everything works out for you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Divorce and move on. You could still get your 10 year green card with divorce waiver at the ROC interview since you entered marriage in good faith. If in doubt, get a lawyer.

@Ruddin, I am sorry that you are going through this. My advice:

1. Find a safe place to live as soon as possible. 
  2. Call the police if he attempts to hurt you again and file a report. Get a restraining order if you have to.
  3. If you did not send evidence of bona fide marriage since the date of your marriage for your I-751 filing, it is important that you gather anything you can now.
  4. You do not need him to get your 10 year green card. Just move out as soon as possible.

I have a feeling that he did not file for divorce. Did he serve you with divorce papers? 

Change all your passwords, including your phone password if you have a smart phone.  

Here are a couple of resources for you in the DC area. https://www.dashdc.org/what-it-takes/

https://www.dcbar.org/pro-bono/free-legal-help/help-for-individuals

Make sure you delete your search history on your computer. 

Be safe. 

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

3 hours ago, USC4SPOUSE said:

@Ruddin, I am sorry that you are going through this. My advice:

1. Find a safe place to live as soon as possible. 
  2. Call the police if he attempts to hurt you again and file a report. Get a restraining order if you have to.
  3. If you did not send evidence of bona fide marriage since the date of your marriage for your I-751 filing, it is important that you gather anything you can now.
  4. You do not need him to get your 10 year green card. Just move out as soon as possible.

I have a feeling that he did not file for divorce. Did he serve you with divorce papers? 

Change all your passwords, including your phone password if you have a smart phone.  

Here are a couple of resources for you in the DC area. https://www.dashdc.org/what-it-takes/

https://www.dcbar.org/pro-bono/free-legal-help/help-for-individuals

Make sure you delete your search history on your computer. 

Be safe. 

thanks  really appreciate your help .... do you guys have any recommdation any good divorce lawyer? how i can get beneficiary from this divorce?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
8 hours ago, Ruddin said:

do you guys have any recommdation any good divorce lawyer? how i can get beneficiary from this divorce?

Although your photo is very small, it looks like you may be of Asian descent. If that's the case, there are two organizations in the DC metro area that might be of help to you:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.