lunajo

Stimulus Checks for non US Citizen Spouse

116 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline
11 minutes ago, emefcue said:

Thanks for the information! It would be great if this is a viable option for her. 🤩

Definitely, I hope it works out in your favor. I guess we'll all find out when tax season comes around.

1 hour ago, Katelyn_Wray said:

I have a couple questions for you:

1) Can K1 applicants get a SSN before having a greencard interview? I genuinely thought they could come to the U.S. to get married, but couldn't work or get a SSN until after an interview stateside. My husband and I are going through a CR1 so I'm a little ignorant of the K1 process.

2) Do you have any sources of information that clearly states whether ITIN holders are eligible/ineligible? (you seem to have a lot of great info on this btw, thanks for putting it out there!)

Yes, K1s can get an SSN within 90 days after entry. I got mine a week after I entered. 

On 12/30/2020 at 10:14 PM, Luckycuds said:

There are thousands of charities that could use the money.    Thousands of people are food Insecure and could use the help as well.  Hope you have thought about donating your check to one of these charities then-  they would be VERY happy to get it. Thanks for helping your fellow citizens.

I would qualify that a bit by saying, try to find a reputable charity where the CEO does not take home 500K a year and 90% of their donations are spent on administrative costs!

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

4 hours ago, Katelyn_Wray said:

2) Do you have any sources of information that clearly states whether ITIN holders are eligible/ineligible? (you seem to have a lot of great info on this btw, thanks for putting it out there!)

ITIN holder, like my wife, does not get anything individually.  They must have SSN.

However, this new law removes the penalty for the rest of family who does have SSN.  Now, the rest of the family is eligible even when one spouse has ITIN.

Spouse

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Well, well, my stimulus check just showed up in my bank account this morning!!!!!!!   $1200.00.  I didn't know they were actually sending them out.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
8 hours ago, Katelyn_Wray said:

1) Can K1 applicants get a SSN before having a greencard interview? I genuinely thought they could come to the U.S. to get married, but couldn't work or get a SSN until after an interview stateside. My husband and I are going through a CR1 so I'm a little ignorant of the K1 process.

1) Yes, K1 can apply for SSN within the first 75 days after entering the country. If they don't get one during this time, they have to wait for the EAD or GC to be approved before applying for the SSN.

2) ITIN holders are ineligible. You must have filed taxes with a SSN to receive it. If the spouse and kids have SSN, they will receive it, but not the ITIN holder.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
5 hours ago, seekingthetruth said:

I would qualify that a bit by saying, try to find a reputable charity where the CEO does not take home 500K a year and 90% of their donations are spent on administrative costs!

True. I was thinking of a local charity such as a food bank/pantry, homeless shelter or animal shelter (they need food too!) imagine the groceries you could buy with $600- the food bank would be so grateful-  two good deeds ; you stimulated the economy by spending AND helped those in need.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

26 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

True. I was thinking of a local charity such as a food bank/pantry, homeless shelter or animal shelter (they need food too!) imagine the groceries you could buy with $600- the food bank would be so grateful-  two good deeds ; you stimulated the economy by spending AND helped those in need.

Yes! Help the wider economy by helping your local neighborhood.

For those who lean towards "charity begins at home," some other ideas would be to help out deserving family members (key word: deserving) or, thinking longer-term, investing the money in tax-advantaged accounts for retirement or kids' education.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
On 12/31/2020 at 3:54 PM, emefcue said:

Hello! I think this is the appropriate thread for my question. Me and my wife got married in february of this year 2020 and my wife has gone through the process of adjusting her status. She recently recieved her EAD/AP combo card as well as SSN. I realize this is probably wishful thinking but..Do you think she will be eligible for the second stimulus check (600$) . If anyone knows the answer please feel free to reply ;) Oh, I also recieved my stimulus today deposited about 2:00 pm eastern US time in case others are keeping track when the money is rolling out. Oh and Happy new years everyone!

The stimulus is a 2020 tax thing. You both are eligible for the first and second stimulus. You however, already collected both of yours as an  early payout. She will collect both of hers when you file your 2020 joint tax return.  Line 30 of form 1040 will show an $1800 tax credit. If you’re getting a refund, it will be increased by the credit. If you owe the IRS, the credit will be applied to what you owe. They will not be depositing or mailing checks for her part. It will be rolled into the tax filing.

Edited by Wuozopo

• Captain Ewok changed the title to Stimulus Checks for non US Citizen Spouse
On 12/29/2020 at 3:51 PM, lunajo said:

Hi all!

I am writing in reference to this piece of news: https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/sorry-not-everyone-will-qualify-for-the-second-stimulus-payment-even-if-they-got-the-first-one/

I am a foreigner who is legally married to a US citizen. We submitted the Adjustment of Status application in Sep 2020 and we are currently waiting for the next steps of the process. 

Based on my current status, I would like to check whether I am eligible for the 2nd round of the stimulus check. 

If so, do I need to submit Form W-7 for a ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number)? 

Appreciate any feedback and advice on this. 

Thanks!

I'm U.S citizen  and I haven't received my first stimulus check 😅 and for sure not second stimulus either and im a tax paper. 

11 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

The stimulus is a 2020 tax thing. You both are eligible for the first and second stimulus. You however, already collected both of yours as an  early payout. She will collect both of hers when you file your 2020 joint tax return.  Line 30 of form 1040 will show an $1800 tax credit. If you’re getting a refund, it will be increased by the credit. If you owe the IRS, the credit will be applied to what you owe. They will not be depositing or mailing checks for her part. It will be rolled into the tax filing.

Yes. As stated above, plus I'll add that my wife and son got green cards in April 2020. But because of Covid-19,  could not get social security numbers issued until finally someone felt sorry for us and was able to submit application for social security number in late August.  Then,  when we received them in mid September,  I finally filed my 2019 tax return. Yes, it was late,  but knowing the irs, it doesn't matter as long as I owed nothing. 

Within a week after filing, my wife's first stimulus payment showed up in my bank.

Then this week, both of our second payments were there.  In both cases,  nothing for our son, so I'll have to wait until next month when I file our 2020 return.

I waited the extra months because to file because the whole ITN process was unclear to me for a resident alien, even though I had applied in the past for my business.  So for me, i just felt the best solution was to get the social security number.

In hindsight,  we coykd have applied for the social security number with just K-1 visa and I-94, but didn't know that at the time. 

Good luck. 

On 12/29/2020 at 11:32 PM, Genski92 said:

Lol ever since first stimulus check we would be happy not to get it. We have enough savings to live.

Only low tax payer are happy to get this stimulus checks. Some people who pays more tax compare to others can relate to what im trying to say.

We will see the change in taxes after this pandemic.

You can always give it back. The way I see it is that the money belongs to the taxpayers. It’s money they already paid in. They’re not giving us anything out of their own pockets. Washington is corrupt. 

Hi everyone, I just want to ask if anyone knows the possible reason why my husband hasn't got his stimulus check yet. He is a US citizen, he filed MFJ for his 2019 taxes with my ITIN (I am a Filipina and still in the Philippines). I know that I won't be getting anything but he supposed to get his, right? Or are we missing something out? He didn't get anything as well from the first stimulus. TIA for anyone who can answer!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Miyaka said:

Hi everyone, I just want to ask if anyone knows the possible reason why my husband hasn't got his stimulus check yet. He is a US citizen, he filed MFJ for his 2019 taxes with my ITIN (I am a Filipina and still in the Philippines). I know that I won't be getting anything but he supposed to get his, right? Or are we missing something out? He didn't get anything as well from the first stimulus. TIA for anyone who can answer!

He didn't get the first one because he used your ITIN. He will be able to claim the money when he files 2020 taxes.

For the second one, it's still too early. Not everyone received it already.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.