lunajo

Stimulus Checks for non US Citizen Spouse

116 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, replaysports said:

Not publicly funded!? Where do you think the money is coming from... GOD!? The tax payer will be footing the bill... everything is publicly funded.. always!!

...and Boris64 has left the chat...

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

7 hours ago, seekingthetruth said:

I win!  A friend who lives here in the Philippines already has it pending in his U.S. Navy Federal Credit Union bank account.  He says it is scheduled for Dec. 31 midnight U.S. eastern time.  He and his wife are getting $1200.

I read that, too)

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

4 hours ago, Luckycuds said:

There are thousands of charities that could use the money.    Thousands of people are food Insecure and could use the help as well.  Hope you have thought about donating your check to one of these charities then-  they would be VERY happy to get it. Thanks for helping your fellow citizens.

Thank you for posting this. We're not eligible for the checks as I mentioned before, but you've reminded me to make a contribution to a local food bank this morning. I have plenty, and so many of my neighbors do not. 

4 hours ago, replaysports said:

Ahhh immigrants and the always need to stick their hands out for donations...

IF you don`t support or need the money, donate it simple is that. And people who generalize others are not wanted here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello! I think this is the appropriate thread for my question. Me and my wife got married in february of this year 2020 and my wife has gone through the process of adjusting her status. She recently recieved her EAD/AP combo card as well as SSN. I realize this is probably wishful thinking but..Do you think she will be eligible for the second stimulus check (600$) . If anyone knows the answer please feel free to reply ;) Oh, I also recieved my stimulus today deposited about 2:00 pm eastern US time in case others are keeping track when the money is rolling out. Oh and Happy new years everyone!

Edited by emefcue

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

There is a message on my bank's page  after login:"

Stimulus Payments

The IRS will begin making payments to eligible recipients via direct deposit as early as the week of Jan. 4, 2021. Paper checks will be mailed on a staggered basis beginning Dec. 30, 2020."

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, emefcue said:

Hello! I think this is the appropriate thread for my question. Me and my wife got married in february of this year 2020 and my wife has gone through the process of adjusting her status. She recently recieved her EAD/AP combo card as well as SSN. I realize this is probably wishful thinking but..Do you think she will be eligible for the second stimulus check (600$) . If anyone knows the answer please feel free to reply ;) Oh, I also recieved my stimulus today deposited about 2:00 pm eastern US time in case others are keeping track when the money is rolling out. Oh and Happy new years everyone!

Only when she files tax next year if her income, or both income combined is within the requirements.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-...]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.

Timeline
13 hours ago, WaterLeaf said:

There's a huge difference between being an undocumented immigrant filing taxes with ITIN and not being a citizen or permanent resident.

igoyougoduke said that only Citizens and PR were eligible for it, which is not true. I wasn't either of those when I received my first stimulus.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline
7 hours ago, Ayrton said:

There's a huge difference between being an undocumented immigrant filing taxes with ITIN and not being a citizen or permanent resident.

igoyougoduke said that only Citizens and PR were eligible for it, which is not true. I wasn't either of those when I received my first stimulus.

This stimulus is different than the first as I would probably assume. Unless you have anything to back up your claim for this second stimulus.

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-...]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.

Timeline
33 minutes ago, WaterLeaf said:

This stimulus is different than the first as I would probably assume. Unless you have anything to back up your claim for this second stimulus.

Did you even read what igoyougoduke posted?

He said that only US Citizens and Permanent Residents are eligible for the stimulus. This is FALSE. 

From the IRS website: "Generally, U.S. citizens and resident aliens who are not eligible to be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s income tax return are eligible for this second payment."

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/treasury-and-irs-begin-delivering-second-round-of-economic-impact-payments-to-millions-of-americans

Permanent Resident and Resident aliens are two different things.

Resident Alien is defined by IRS as: "You are a resident alien of the United States for tax purposes if you meet either the green card test or the substantial presence test for the calendar year."

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/resident-aliens

You don't need to be a Permanent Resident to be a Resident Alien, you just need to pass the presence test or be elected to be treated as one in case of marriage.

This is something that didn't change from the first stimulus. For example: people that came in 2019 as K1, got their SSN, and filed 2019 taxes as married filing jointly and asked to be treated as resident aliens for the whole year of 2019 ARE eligible for both stimulus, even if they are still waiting for their GC Interview (which means not a US Citizen/PR yet).

The press love to spread misinformation, like when the first one came out and they said that immigrants wouldn't receive the stimulus. That wasn't completely true and they all had to update to talk about the ITIN. This is the real deal on getting or not a stimulus.

Edited by Ayrton

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline
On 12/31/2020 at 2:54 PM, emefcue said:

I found some helpful information on the IRS's website that details eligibility:

image.png.da7dfc523393a16e8bd95c5fc41a8bd7.png

Based on this information, which is straight from the IRS website, I honestly think your wife will be eligible for BOTH of the stimulus payments (the $1,200 and $600) in the form of a tax credit when you guys do your 2020 taxes. However, I'm not a tax professional and haven't tried this, so I'm not 100% confident.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
1 minute ago, Katelyn_Wray said:

I found some helpful information on the IRS's website that details eligibility:

image.png.da7dfc523393a16e8bd95c5fc41a8bd7.png

Based on this information, which is straight from the IRS website, I honestly think your wife will be eligible for BOTH of the stimulus payments (the $1,200 and $600) in the form of a tax credit when you guys do your 2020 taxes. However, I'm not a tax professional and haven't tried this, so I'm not 100% confident.

Thanks for the information! It would be great if this is a viable option for her. 🤩

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Ayrton said:

This is something that didn't change from the first stimulus. For example: people that came in 2019 as K1, got their SSN, and filed 2019 taxes as married filing jointly and asked to be treated as resident aliens for the whole year of 2019 ARE eligible for both stimulus, even if they are still waiting for their GC Interview (which means not a US Citizen/PR yet).

I have a couple questions for you:

1) Can K1 applicants get a SSN before having a greencard interview? I genuinely thought they could come to the U.S. to get married, but couldn't work or get a SSN until after an interview stateside. My husband and I are going through a CR1 so I'm a little ignorant of the K1 process.

2) Do you have any sources of information that clearly states whether ITIN holders are eligible/ineligible? (you seem to have a lot of great info on this btw, thanks for putting it out there!)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.