lunajo

Stimulus Checks for non US Citizen Spouse

116 posts in this topic

On 1/4/2021 at 7:01 PM, Miyaka said:

Hi everyone, I just want to ask if anyone knows the possible reason why my husband hasn't got his stimulus check yet. He is a US citizen, he filed MFJ for his 2019 taxes with my ITIN (I am a Filipina and still in the Philippines). I know that I won't be getting anything but he supposed to get his, right? Or are we missing something out? He didn't get anything as well from the first stimulus. TIA for anyone who can answer!

On 1/4/2021 at 7:22 PM, Ayrton said:

He didn't get the first one because he used your ITIN. He will be able to claim the money when he files 2020 taxes.

For the second one, it's still too early. Not everyone received it already.

@Ayrton is exactly correct. I am in the same boat. I called the IRS and found out that the script that they wrote to mass process the first stimulus did not know how to process a joint return where 1 spouse had an ITIN number. She told me it is an advance tax credit for the 2020 tax year and if you do not receive it, you will get it when you file your 2020 returns.

A side note, I did get the second stimulus.

45 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

@Ayrton is exactly correct. I am in the same boat. I called the IRS and found out that the script that they wrote to mass process the first stimulus did not know how to process a joint return where 1 spouse had an ITIN number. She told me it is an advance tax credit for the 2020 tax year and if you do not receive it, you will get it when you file your 2020 returns.

A side note, I did get the second stimulus.

I guess some people didn't receive it due changed address or for other reasons , They must claim when filing 2020 tax .

2 hours ago, HRQX said:

In his case you must do Married Filing Jointly for this tax season and:

Attach a statement, signed by both spouses, to your joint return for the first tax year for which the choice applies. It should contain the following information:

1. A declaration that one spouse was a nonresident alien and the other spouse a U.S. citizen or resident alien on the last day of the tax year, and that you choose to be treated as U.S. residents for the entire tax year
  2. The name, address, and identification number of each spouse. (If one spouse died, include the name and address of the person making the choice for the deceased spouse.)

@April M, actually my previous post had an error. You don't have to include the aforementioned statement because your husband already meets the "green card" test.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/alien-residency-green-card-test

You are a resident, for U.S. federal tax purposes, if you are a lawful permanent resident of the United States at any time during the calendar year. This is known as the "green card" test.

Edited by HRQX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline
12 hours ago, April M said:

1. I am wondering the same things. I need answers. What health insurences are except able? Or should I ask which are not except able? I can find many, even one with my employer for my husband but is it good enough to satisfy? How do I know? What are the guidelines (rules) that are clear enough to understand? 

2. As for the tax credit which I do not want to over Shadow the insurance questions, If my husband had a social security number in 2020 I can ask for the credit on my taxes but I don't know if they will give it considering there is a rule from the past that states the person has to be living for 6 months out of the year to claim anything. Does that rule disclude him then? Or it does not matter as long as he has a social security in 2020? 

Thanks to the one who posted this below, I an sharing again:

Attach a statement, signed by both spouses, to your joint return for the first tax year for which the choice applies. It should contain the following information:

A declaration that one spouse was a nonresident alien and the other spouse a U.S. citizen or resident alien on the last day of the tax year, and that you choose to be treated as U.S. residents for the entire tax year

The name, address, and identification number of each spouse. (If one spouse died, include the name and address of the person making the choice for the deceased spouse.)

5 hours ago, April M said:

Thanks to the one who posted this below, I an sharing again:

A declaration that one spouse was a nonresident alien and the other spouse a U.S. citizen or resident alien on the last day of the tax year, and that you choose to be treated as U.S. residents for the entire tax year

The name, address, and identification number of each spouse. (If one spouse died, include the name and address of the person making the choice for the deceased spouse.)

You don't have to include that statement because your husband already meets the "green card" test.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/alien-residency-green-card-test

You are a resident, for U.S. federal tax purposes, if you are a lawful permanent resident of the United States at any time during the calendar year. This is known as the "green card" test.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi everyone.

In 2019 and 2020 I was an F-1 student and worked on campus so I have an SSN and have filed taxes in the US before. Me and my husband got married in June last year (2020) and will be filing our taxes jointly this year. Will I be eligible to claim the stimulus check or am I ineligble?

Edited by mbssss

AOS

08/25/2020 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox using USPS                                         11/06/2020 - Received physical receipt notice for I-765 in the mail

08/28/2020 - Package was received by USCIS                                                                                                   12/15/2020 - Online account updated and indicated the I-944 RFIE was sent

09/25/2020 - Debit Card was charged by USCIS                                                                                                 12/28/2020 - Recieved the I-944 RFIE via e-mail after speaking with a tier 2 officer

09/29/2020 - Recieved text notifications from USCIS with reciept numbers                                                  1/11/2021 - Responded to the RFIE and sent the I-944 to USCIS 

10/01/2020 - Recieved rejected I-765 back                                                                                                           3/3/2021 - Biometrics scheduled for 03/29

10/05/2020 - Recieved physical reciept notices in the mail

10/06/2020 - Sent I-765 to Chicago Lockbox using UPS

10/09/2020 - Package was recieved by USCIS

10/30/2020 - Recieved text notication from USCIS with reciept number for I-765

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline
5 hours ago, mbssss said:

Hi everyone.

In 2019 and 2020 I was an F-1 student and worked on campus so I have an SSN and have filed taxes in the US before. Me and my husband got married in June last year (2020) and will be filing our taxes jointly this year. Will I be eligible to claim the stimulus check or am I ineligble?

I was told yes. I just don't know how that is done yet. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.