Sophie_

Husband wont let me work, what can I do?

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I would lose my mind if I was in either of your situations.  Don’t ignore the potential abuse (since as you said he did this before the job too), but also consider that maybe getting a job before you could drive may have been more than either of you bargained for.  I’m the one who works full time right now and sometimes my husband doesn’t get that I’m too tired to deal with anything after work.  Or course you’re caring for two kids which could be anywhere from peaceful to exhausting and miserable.  It’s time to talk with him about if you’ve both overextended yourselves, how he’s feeling about the situation with the kids, how long you can make it on just his income and your feelings about the job.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
On 11/25/2020 at 12:30 PM, Sophie_ said:

1.  I could take an uber home so he wont have to pick me up with the kids

2.  my driving test is in 2 weeks

1.  Do this.

2.  Pass this, on your first try.

Do NOT leave children of those ages unattended for even a little while.  Things happen.  Some are relatively inconsequential, some are potential disaster averted, and some end up in the newspapers as tragedies that will haunt the parents for the rest of their lives.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
7 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

1.  Do this.

2.  Pass this, on your first try.

Do NOT leave children of those ages unattended for even a little while.  Things happen.  Some are relatively inconsequential, some are potential disaster averted, and some end up in the newspapers as tragedies that will haunt the parents for the rest of their lives.

I see people do this in some other countries without second though and it's always surprising to me.

Here stateside it can easily land you in jail, but I guess in other countries there's no consequence.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It was not a problem when I was a kid, times change.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Let's start with your need to work.

You've expressed that you're financially dependent on him and he doesn't want you to work. 
There seems to be some power dynamics involved here already so we can't just overlook this. 

It sounds like it's perhaps a better idea to take a break from working or to work from home? Do you not want to be home all day? Do you find yourself wanting breaks? If so there's nothing wrong with this so I'd say be honest with yourself first. 

Secondly, has his abuse been frequent or been long running or are they more recent? You said it's not the first time but how frequent are these incidents? 

Idk this seems trivial. If you're just waiting for your license, I'd suggest you just wait it out for a couple of months. What you can do is get a driving training service on some evenings. They'll pick you up and teach you to drive then you can take your driver's test when ready. 

Something tells me this is more than just about work because work seems trivial. I certainly wouldn't want to be waking up a kid every night or even consider leaving any at home alone. That's insane. 

Timeline

First, we have to know your cultures and your background and where you come from.

If you come from a very conservative country/culture, it would be difficult to convince him.

While it is wrong, it is understandable from his perspective.  If you knew this would happen prior to your marriage, then you have to live with it.

I know a lot of families who do not allow their women to work.  They believe that the men are responsible for financially supporting the family, while women are responsible for rising the children.

Once again, it is wrong to think that way, but if you knew this would happen, then you made your choice when you agreed to marry him and move to the US with him.

F-1 Visa 2013:

Spoiler

Dec 15, 2013 - Arrived on F1 visa

May 19, 2017 Graduated!

07/27/2017 Got Married

I-485 + I-130 2017:

Spoiler

11/14/2017 AOS Package (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131) sent via USPS - Chicago Lockbox

11/17/2017 Package delivered 11/22/2017 *Priority Date*

11/27/2017 Received 4 e-mails & 4 text notifications (12:23 AM EST)

11/29/2017 Received 4 NOA1 hard copies

12/09/2017 Received Biometrics Appointment Letter (for i-485 and i-765) for 12/19/2017 at 10AM

12/19/2017 Finger prints + picture taken at the USCIS Support Center.

01/08/2018 Received Interview Letter (possibly few days earlier as I was out of town)

02/02/2018 Interview date!

02/08/2018 Received Approval texts and messages (I-485 Approved - I-130 Approved the day before)

02/08/2018 Card Was Mailed To Me. Total of 80 days from PD.

02/27/2018 card returned undelivered to USCIS + Placed Service request to resend the card

05/03/2018 Card was Delivered to me.  Took 63 days wait period.

I-751 2019:

Spoiler

11/06/2019 Package sent to Dallas TX via  USPS Overnight Priority Mail (87 days prior to the expiration)

11/07/2019 Package was signed for and picked up around 11:30 AM, Dallas TX

11/13/2019 One text received at 5:21 PM EST that my case was received November 7th  (LIN)

11/14/2019 Personal check cleared

11/18/2019 Received 18 months extension letter

03/13/2020 Received biometric letter - Apt 3/25

05/13/2020 Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken (never went for biometrics due to covid-19)

10/30/2020 Online status changed to Card Is Being Produced on 10/29/2020

10/30/2020 Online Status changed to Case Was Approved

11/03/2020 Card Was Mailed To Me

11/03/2020 Card Was Picked Up By the United States Postal Service

11/06/2020 Card in hand

N-400 2020:

Spoiler

11/04/2020 Filed online

11/05/2020 Received Receipt Notice Online (Estimated Processing time is 3 months)

11/09/2020 Received hard copy notice in the mail

12/10/2020 Biometric Reuse Notice

01/04/2021 Interview Was Scheduled

02/08/2021 Interview Day - Status changed to Recommended for Approval and then Oath Scheduled

02/10/2021 Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed

02/25/2021 Oath Ceremony Day - Certificate in hand

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I feel like a lot of people here are overreacting. Take a deep breath, and calm yourself down. Figure out what his concerns are and what your concerns are. Fighting is normal in a relationship, and even though it's too much on his end, it's something you need to assert yourself over and not let things go down a bad path. Once you know what both your concerns are, schedule a time, and sit down and talk through it. I'm sure you two love each other, and don't let a few bump in the road derail your own marriage.  If it continues even after trying to have rational discussions, that's a different story, but it doesn't sound like you're there yet.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 11/25/2020 at 6:12 PM, Sophie_ said:

Thank you all for your comments, right now he is not open to do counseling, or to send the kids to the daycare, not even me uber is an option for him...so yeah. I will try to hold on this job for as long as I can, since he agree to keep picking me up till I take my test.

On 11/25/2020 at 1:30 PM, Sophie_ said:

Hi folks, I'm writing this post desperate for advice or some encouragement. 

I'm a k1 holder who is already married with my once fiance, I enter mid March and we send AOS in may for me and k2, I got my EAD last month and we are currently waiting for our interview.

We agree months before I would start working part time in the afternoons/nights once I recieve my combo card, he works morning till 4-5pm and since we share 2 kids it made sense this arrangement. I started working 3 weeks ago and since I'm waiting for my drivers license test (I have a permit which wont allow me to drive alone)he need to pick me up with the kids, yesterday night he told me he was tired of pick me up which I understand is late at night (10pm-11pm) but the complaint was more about how he was tired of waking up our oldest (6 years old) cause it was too hard and that we should leave him at home sleeping while he pick me up with our youngest (almost 2year old) I told him I was not comfortable with the idea of leaving him alone at home even tho he is sleeping and my job is fairly close home and that I could take an uber home so he wont have to pick me up with the kids,he keep insisting and I just started feeling some kind of way since our oldest is not biological his. Long story short I said I did not feel comfortable with leaving home alone and I didn't want to talk about the topic in that moment and he just started yelling at me an cussing me out in front our children, which sadly is not the first time, this continued thru the parking lot and even inside home when I was trying to put the kids in their beds, just yelling and cussing mocking me and how the work was done that there was no more work for me and that was it. 

If you read this far, thank you, now the question is, what do I do? I am financially dependent on him I dont know anybody in the CA but his family members and before you tell me to go back to my home country we share a child together I can not take our kid out of the country without his permission, I was just barely starting to work my driving test is in 2 weeks, my work shift starts in the afternoon and I dont know what to do cause he is working and wont talk to me, am I wrong for not waiting to leave my 6 year old at home alone? Am overreacting? 

I feel desperate, and deeply hurt. Any advice would be appreciated.

You should record everytime he is verbally abusive to you (if that's legal in your state). It's ridiculous how he won't go to therapy... That's a really bad sign. Contact a legal person and get help right now. It's only going to get worse and you need to leave. 

On 11/27/2020 at 9:40 AM, Boiler said:

It was not a problem when I was a kid, times change.

Careful Boiler  you are showing your age, but I hear you it was not a problem for me either. We dared not mess up less we receive mama's wrath!  😂😂😂😂

Edited by Sarge2155

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

On 11/25/2020 at 6:30 PM, Sophie_ said:

I'm a k1 holder who is already married with my once fiance, I enter mid March and we send AOS in may for me and k2, I got my EAD last month and we are currently waiting for our interview.

We agree months before I would start working part time in the afternoons/nights once I recieve my combo card, he works morning till 4-5pm and since we share 2 kids it made sense this arrangement. I started working 3 weeks ago and since I'm waiting for my drivers license test (I have a permit which wont allow me to drive alone)he need to pick me up with the kids, yesterday night he told me he was tired of pick me up which I understand is late at night (10pm-11pm) but the complaint was more about how he was tired of waking up our oldest (6 years old) cause it was too hard and that we should leave him at home sleeping while he pick me up with our youngest (almost 2year old) I told him I was not comfortable with the idea of leaving him alone at home even tho he is sleeping and my job is fairly close home and that I could take an uber home so he wont have to pick me up with the kids,he keep insisting and I just started feeling some kind of way since our oldest is not biological his. Long story short I said I did not feel comfortable with leaving home alone and I didn't want to talk about the topic in that moment and he just started yelling at me an cussing me out in front our children, which sadly is not the first time, this continued thru the parking lot and even inside home when I was trying to put the kids in their beds, just yelling and cussing mocking me and how the work was done that there was no more work for me and that was it. 

If you read this far, thank you, now the question is, what do I do? I am financially dependent on him I dont know anybody in the CA but his family members and before you tell me to go back to my home country we share a child together I can not take our kid out of the country without his permission, I was just barely starting to work my driving test is in 2 weeks, my work shift starts in the afternoon and I dont know what to do cause he is working and wont talk to me, am I wrong for not waiting to leave my 6 year old at home alone? Am overreacting? 

I have nothing substantial to add ti this, except, i am so sorry you are living through this. I wish you all the best. 

Counsellimg is needed.. xx

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
On 11/25/2020 at 1:30 PM, Sophie_ said:

This is a tricky situation. Your suggestion about the Uber seemed to be a good idea it’s a shame that he is not agreeing to it

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

An overly judgmental post has been removed.

===

The OP hasn't logged on since Wednesday evening.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 11/30/2020 at 10:15 AM, daniel_and_lily said:

I feel like a lot of people here are overreacting. Take a deep breath, and calm yourself down. Figure out what his concerns are and what your concerns are. Fighting is normal in a relationship, and even though it's too much on his end, it's something you need to assert yourself over and not let things go down a bad path. Once you know what both your concerns are, schedule a time, and sit down and talk through it. I'm sure you two love each other, and don't let a few bump in the road derail your own marriage.  If it continues even after trying to have rational discussions, that's a different story, but it doesn't sound like you're there yet.

I agree.

One thing I noticed in this topic was how some are so quick to cry out "abuse" and seem to suggest there is a dead end here.  We only have one side of the story and the suggestion of "verbal abuse" is going out out on a limb at this time.  Their situation is bad.  I can see how tired they must be and when people are exhausted, tempers flare, words are said, and many are regretted later.

I don't condone abuse, especially physical, but I hope they can work on their issues, and solve them.  Remember, kids are involved, and kids suffer greatly when couples split.  Of course, sometimes it has to be that way, but in some cultures, it has become the easy way out, and that is sad.  Around 50% divorce rate in the U.S.A. now, and society suffers.  It is so quick and easy.

I live in the Philippines, and divorce is not legal.  I don't agree with that, but I do agree that it makes couples work harder to solve problems, even if only for the sake of the kids.  There is no quick and easy way out.

Life is a roller coaster!  Hang on for the ride!

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.