Captain Ewok

Trump To Suspend H-1B and Other Visas Until End Of Year

122 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

President Trump is expected to sign an order to suspend H-1B, L-1 and other temporary work visas through the end of the year, according to the multiple sources familiar with the plan.

The new order — which is expected to come with broad exceptions — comes as the administration continues to wrestle with high unemployment among American workers because of the coronavirus pandemic and tries to kick-start the economic recovery.

The order would target H-1B visas, which are designed for certain skilled workers such as those employed in the tech industry, as well as L-1 visas, which are meant for executives who work for large corporations.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/20/881245867/trump-expected-to-suspend-h-1b-other-visas-until-end-of-year

https://www.businessinsider.in/international/news/us-president-donald-trump-to-suspend-h1b-visas-will-not-affect-those-already-in-the-states/articleshow/76492270.cms

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

39 minutes ago, Cody&Razely said:

And yet, where is the permanent Ban on ALL outsourcing of manufacturing, Employment, Etc... (or at least a 200,000% tax on every penny spent over seas on external manufacturing, employment, etc... essentially making it a non-starter :D) seems kind of a waste of time to do one without the other. I doubt the Temp. work visa's are the biggest issue in unemployment. Though I see how a temp. ban on work visa's might be applicable to some degree (in as much as allowing them has effects the work situation here and/or just as much as it has ever, at any given time under any circumstance/time).

Just now, James120383 said:

Paper tiger  is what this is all about 

Edited by James120383

duh

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Interesting. No mention of the current restrictions which are due to expire tomorrow. I’m having a hard time to think that family migration (“chain migration” as per administration) will be forgotten and only work visas restricted from now on. Wondering if there’s a mega-EO in the works that will cover it all...

The tech giants won’t be amused and I wouldn’t be surprised if offices abroad will grow faster in the near future...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

The April 22 EO on immigration expires this week and thus we are expecting some news on that front...and now these rumors of Trump preparing a sweeping new immigration EO...doesn't bode well for those of us sitting with USCIS approved K-1's.

We shall hear something this week.  (I am not expecting good news, but let's hope we are pleasantly surprised). 

That also says nothing of the March 11 travel ban...that was supposed to be for 30-days (that came from somewhere, I'm not sure where, but the actual EO language says its indefinite until lifted by Trump), but here we are over 3 months later with no word.  Many other countries have lifted their international travel bans in part or in whole...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, vkrishn said:

Let me see the order first. It behooves me how H-4 is allowed to join H-1 with in weeks but a spouse of LPR has to sit out due to the 60 day ban in place if they reside outside the country.  H-1 has been abused big time already and H-4 EAD does directly compete jobs of american citizens so to speak where there is no criteria to get an H-4 EAD and only criteria is to be married to an H-1 and piggyback on  their spouses I-140. One with an H-4 EAD can go stock shelves at Target and Walmart any day. 

Agreed.

But on a side note: I don't think "Behooves" means what you think it means lol. Maybe you mean "Confounds"?

Behooves means: Right to do, obligatory, in line with, makes sense, reasonable, inclined to act on it to completion, etc...

Edited by Cody&Razely

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, vkrishn said:

Are you the next Karen? It also means advantage, benefit, use. So totally relevant to H-4 EAD in the above sentence. 

Not sure who Karen is, I guess, Maybe, idk. lol Just throwing that out there. Not a big deal :) 

1 hour ago, dpnce said:

Saw this on Twitter yesterday. I guess we will have more news by tomorrow...

It would be highly problematic if the exclusions did not include IMG physicians who require H1B or J1 visa sponsorship. For specialities like Family Medicine and Internal Medicine, a large proportion of the physician workforce is reliant on IMGs, and I can see a lot of hospitals struggling if these spots remain unfilled due to visa limitations. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
15 minutes ago, James120383 said:

Haha Administration only cares about keeping immigrants away ( especially the nonwhite one's). They really have shown they don't care about any ones lives. Just look at the puppet show going on 

Yup, but they care about immigrants of any color for what they can’t fill with their own. It was already noted that exemptions for healthcare workers are to be expected.

Anyhow, let’s wait and see what makes it in the final order.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.