Captain Ewok

Trump To Suspend H-1B and Other Visas Until End Of Year

122 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Anything outside of IRI/CR1 is pretty micj suspended until 2021. K1...thats a grey area. That's why people need to vote this punk out in November. He is playing russian roulette with people's lives

Filed: IR-5 Country: Ukraine
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

No they are IR-5.   The ban applies to them.    Only spouses, children and children being adopted are excluded from the "Immigrant" ban.   Nothing there has changed.

These are heartbreaking news, but I appreciate the answer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
2 hours ago, Cilllah said:

So K1 still not impacted? That’s good. I have a valid visa and will be entering soon.

The green card ban worries me though. So I try to adjust and the application just sits there until they start processing them again whenever that is? So no EAD or anything for who knows how long?

It won’t affect you, you will become a spouse of a citizen when you are applying for your green cards 

1 minute ago, Leyla100 said:

Let’s say the petitioner was a green holder when he filled the visa for his kid but got his citizenship recently will the kid get his visa now ??

Not unless the petition has been converted by USCIS (or NVC).  Have you contacted them?

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

@geowrian, what's your take on this being applicable to people who already have an existing valid visa in one of the affected classes seeking an extension this year? That's the situation we're in right now -- the process has started for his L1B extension and he is here already (and NOT leaving the US -- I have forbid it!) but I am not completely clear if the EO covers this. It's not a "new" visa per se but an application nevertheless. We have a "fix" of getting married in the pipeline but not until later in the year.

29 minutes ago, laylalex said:

@geowrian, what's your take on this being applicable to people who already have an existing valid visa in one of the affected classes seeking an extension this year? That's the situation we're in right now -- the process has started for his L1B extension and he is here already (and NOT leaving the US -- I have forbid it!) but I am not completely clear if the EO covers this. It's not a "new" visa per se but an application nevertheless. We have a "fix" of getting married in the pipeline but not until later in the year.

I would expect it to cover any visa application covered by the EO which is not covered by an exception.

I don't deal a whole lot with L visas, sorry. I know what they are and when they apply, but specifics are something I generally refer back to the company's immigration attorney because they can provide actual legal advice.

If it results in a new visa, I would expect it to be covered by the EO.

Alternatively, one can do an Extension of Stay (EOS) within the US via an I-539. This should not be covered by the EO. The only issue is he can't leave the US and return...he needs an actual visa for that.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

5 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I would expect it to cover any visa application covered by the EO which is not covered by an exception.

I don't deal a whole lot with L visas, sorry. I know what they are and when they apply, but specifics are something I generally refer back to the company's immigration attorney because they can provide actual legal advice.

If it results in a new visa, I would expect it to be covered by the EO.

Alternatively, one can do an Extension of Stay (EOS) within the US via an I-539. This should not be covered by the EO. The only issue is he can't leave the US and return...he needs an actual visa for that.

Thanks. I asked him to ask HR today and he said he would. They handle everything, I just worry. We have a quick fix of getting married now and filing for AOS since I'm a USC, but our county wasn't issuing marriage licenses last time I checked, and I'm not crazy about travelling to another county to get one and then get married quickly. We're trying to avoid that.

When I hear anything, I'll report back. Not many L visas on here that I've seen.

15 hours ago, sl1pstream said:

The one thing that scares me right now, more than anything else, are the reports that he's mad about the low attendance at his rally. The same rally that was supposed to counter him being mad over the polls that say that he'd lose to Biden.

I'm scared that he's going to go over the top with this EO, because he's grasping at straws. He thinks he needs to get his base back and if rallies don't work and the economy is a mess because of the virus, immigration seems to be the thing to go after. As an added bonus he can blame the virus and the economy on those immigrants.

"he can blame the virus and the economy on those immigrants"...actually he cannot after he has banned them all from entry into the US.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, laylalex said:

Thanks. I asked him to ask HR today and he said he would. They handle everything, I just worry. We have a quick fix of getting married now and filing for AOS since I'm a USC, but our county wasn't issuing marriage licenses last time I checked, and I'm not crazy about travelling to another county to get one and then get married quickly. We're trying to avoid that.

When I hear anything, I'll report back. Not many L visas on here that I've seen.

For what it's worth, Section 3 (b)(ii) of the new executive order gives an exemption to anyone married to a US citizen. Can't say getting married would fix every issue, especially if you're relying on a consulate for renewal, I dunno how that works, or if it would make renewing an L harder for other completely separate reasons. But it's something to consider.

30 minutes ago, Trutta said:

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a system of checks and balances, with a legislative wing that legislated law and an executive wing that executed law?

Yes, although that doesn't have much relevance to the EO in this thread.

The law - INA 212(f) specifically - allows the POTUS to deny entry to any class of alien.

(f) Suspension of entry or imposition of restrictions by President

Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate.

So long as this does not violate another section of law (as determined by the judicial branch,. or as created/removed/modified by the legislative branch), this is all within his authority.

Elections have consequences.

Edit: Just to be clear....there may or may not be sections of this EO, or how it is implemented, that does exactly that. But a court would need to make that determination.

Namely, possible Constitutional arguments or it being enacted as a violation of the APA.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Travel ban online advisor

Greg Siskind (Immigration lawyer) over on Twitter (@gsiskind) released a little travel advisor questionnaire walkthrough that some might find useful. Not quite 100%, but should answer most folks quieres whether they are subject to the ban. 

He’s also been answering questions via his twitter feed or conducting live meetings to answer questions. 

H1B: Feb 2001 (London)

L1A:  Jan 2014 (London)

AOS: May 24th 2016 - June 20th 2017

N400: March 23rd 2020 - June 29th 2021

Passport: July 1st 2021 - August 30th 2021

Social Security: July 1st 2021 - October 5th 2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.