SJ2020

Counties not issuing Marriage Licences/Ceremonies due to COVID-19

65 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all, not sure if I am posting in the correct place but I just arrived in the US on Sunday with a K1 visa and me and my fiance were planning on getting our marriage license this week and have a courthouse wedding on the weekend but due to the Corona Virus Scare none of the Southern California/Vegas counties issue them until further notice. I am really worried as I my 90 days started ticking and I hoped to get this done ASAP after my arrival. I was wondering if someone else is in the same situation or have any advice on what we can do?

Thank you very much in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, SJ2020 said:

Hi all, not sure if I am posting in the correct place but I just arrived in the US on Sunday with a K1 visa and me and my fiance were planning on getting our marriage license this week and have a courthouse wedding on the weekend but due to the Corona Virus Scare none of the Southern California/Vegas counties issue them until further notice. I am really worried as I my 90 days started ticking and I hoped to get this done ASAP after my arrival. I was wondering if someone else is in the same situation or have any advice on what we can do?

Take a drive to Vegas 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Lil bear said:

Take a drive to Vegas 

Clark county is shut down 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

We are in the exact same situation, and also based on Orange County. I spent hours calling numerous county clerk recorder's offices this morning, and was repeatedly told they are NOT issuing marriage licenses. I desperately called Orange, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Ventura, Riverside, San Bernardino, Imperial, San Luis Obispo counties' offices and many others, and they are all pretty much unable to help. As a previous poster mentioned, Clark County/Las Vegas is also closed down.

I also called USCIS customer service and not only did the representative not offer any assistance, but very rudely and impatiently told me "what do you expect us to do" and indicated that it was our problem. When I patiently explained that it was near-impossible to get married at the current moment, and that I was seeking USCIS advice/guidance, I was told they could offer no advice. As we do not expect the situation to improve any time soon and the USCIS seems to be throwing us under the bus, we may have to resort to extreme measures and travel vast distances to find a county that will issue a marriage license -- even as far as Alaska.

Edited by Goshlook

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, SJ2020 said:

You may have to venture in to the central valley for a marriage license - check Kern, Kings, Inyo etc, keep looking up to northern counties and prepare yourself for a road trip. There is bound to be a county that is issuing them. Please be sure to take precautionary health measures for yourself as well.

I'm in San Francisco and in the beginning days of the mandatory Shelter in Place - so stay away from Bay Area counties.

Good luck to you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to CV-19 forum, from K1 P&P - as this is about closures due to CV~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Goshlook said:

We are in the exact same situation, and also based on Orange County. I spent hours calling numerous county clerk recorder's offices this morning, and was repeatedly told they are NOT issuing marriage licenses. I desperately called Orange, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Ventura, Riverside, San Bernardino, Imperial, San Luis Obispo counties' offices and countless others, and they are all pretty much unable to help. As a previous poster mentioned, Clark County/Las Vegas is also closed down.

nt

I also called USCIS customer service and not only did the representative not offer any assistance, but very rudely and impatiently told me "what do you expect us to do" and indicated that it was our problem. When I patiently explained that it was near-impossible to get married at the current moment, and that I was seeking USCIS advice/guidance, I was told they could offer no advice. As we do not expect the situation to improve any time soon and the USCIS seems to be throwing us under the bus, we may have to resort to extreme measures and travel vast distances to find a county that will issue a marriage license -- even as far as Alaska.

Yes, I have also been trying to find open county clerks even further away but couldn't find anything yet :( When do your 90 days expire? Also, please keep me updated if you find a county clerk somewhere!!! I hope everything goes back to normal soon!!

The license can be obtained from any county within the state. It doesn’t have to be the county where you intend to marry. If you can get one from any Nevada county, @Loren Y may be able to help with the actual ceremony. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

14 minutes ago, geowrian said:

USCIS service representatives cannot provide legal advice.

It's not a matter of them throwing anybody under the bus. They have not changed anything. They just do not have anything in place to pull you out from the bus that is running everyone off the road.

Yes please excuse the mis-applied expression. I do not mean to say that the USCIS deliberately put us in this difficult situation.

I guess I was a bit taken aback by the impatient response from the other end when I was merely seeking advice or avenues we haven't though of (much like we are on this forum). The USCIS is obviously not in a position to do anything about the closures themselves.

Edited by Goshlook

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
1 minute ago, SJ2020 said:

Yes, I have also been trying to find open county clerks even further away but couldn't find anything yet :( When do your 90 days expire? Also, please keep me updated if you find a county clerk somewhere!!! I hope everything goes back to normal soon!!

We've filed for AOS a couple months ago thankfully - I'm the USC :)

I'm located in SF but am a native of the valley - try Merced, Fresno, Tulare, Stanislaus - just keep calling. This entire state has events unfolding with COVID-19 and their respective websites may not be updated to reflect any closures. I would just call directly to save time - fingers crossed for you. 

If you just arrived in the US Sunday, you still have most of 90 days to worry. The offices are going to open again in a few weeks. Dpn't wordy! You are not accruing illegal stay and you have plenty of time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.