SJ2020

Counties not issuing Marriage Licences/Ceremonies due to COVID-19

65 posts in this topic

It's impossible to know what will or won't happen, but the 90 day restriction is built right into the INA. USCIS policy cannot overrule law.

That said, there are technically things the AG and POTUS can do to avoid overstay/being unlawfully present.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Post with blatantly wrong information and a personal attack, and those quoting it, removed. Visajourneys are stressful and this virus situation is an added incredibly stressful time for all. Please be careful when posting and do not post stuff as fact when there are no sources, even if it would be nice if it was true. *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Orangesapples said:

I hope that USCIS will give an extension to K1s in this situation, the same way tax season got an extension. 

I suspect we will see re-validations with additional required medical exams........vs extensions.......just my opinion.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

I present an exercise in logic.  Which might technically violate VJ tos, but note that I am not advocating doing anything illegal. 

It is safe to assume that most unmarried K-1s in the USA will not be able to marry before their authorized stay expires.  

It is also safe to assume that most aliens in the USA today on a non immigrant status will not be able to return to their home countries due to Covid related travel bans (this assumption does not apply to Canadians and Mexicans).  

Because of this reality, the USA government has announced it won’t be rounding up illegal aliens that have committed zero crimes.  Still I don’t advise illegal aliens to come within 100 miles of the northern or southern borders.

I will further assume that someday there will be county offices issuing marriage licenses and certs. 

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-7-part-b-chapter-3 Says that illegal presence is forgiven when the petitioner is a close relative. Including a spouse.

Thus, even if the authorized stay of K-1s is not extended (and I don’t think it will be), the remedy  for unmarried K-1s (and unmarried B-2s, F-1s, and any other non immigrants in this predicament) is to lay low, get married when they can, and then file the I-130/AOS/AP/EAD. And lay low until the NOA comes back.  

3 minutes ago, Mike E said:

It is safe to assume that most unmarried K-1s in the USA will not be able to marry before their authorized stay expires.  

I disagree with this part. We don't know how long offices will be down yet. Maybe <= 30 days? Maybe <= 60 days? Maybe longer?

My personal bet is that most offices will be open within at least 45 days. Heck, I think a good number will be open in <= 30 days if people actually stay home.

So I wouldn't say that's a safe assumption. It is a possibility, depending on what happens with the virus and when exactly each individual arrives in the US.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

43 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Thus, even if the authorized stay of K-1s is not extended (and I don’t think it will be), the remedy  for unmarried K-1s (and unmarried B-2s, F-1s, and any other non immigrants in this predicament) is to lay low, get married when they can, and then file the I-130/AOS/AP/EAD. And lay low until the NOA comes back.  

Well, to be fair, laying low seems like the only thing left to do anyway. Unless you decide to break quarantine or something stupid like that. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Well, to be fair, laying low seems like the only thing left to do anyway. Unless you decide to break quarantine or something stupid like that. 

Someone has to leave to get groceries. If there are quarantines that require people with no symptoms, exposure, or a positive or pending test to stay indoors then that would be really stupid. 

I tried using a grocery service today. It sucks: just 4 of 20 items could be fulfilled. 

Timeline
51 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I disagree with this part. We don't know how long offices will be down yet. Maybe <= 30 days? Maybe <= 60 days? Maybe longer?

My personal bet is that most offices will be open within at least 45 days. Heck, I think a good number will be open in <= 30 days if people actually stay home.

So I wouldn't say that's a safe assumption. It is a possibility, depending on what happens with the virus and when exactly each individual arrives in the US.

I don’t know what “good number” means and I wish useless Such superlatives were stricken from English. 

What we do know is that cases are growing by 30 percent or more per day in the USA.  We also know that China has been using social distancing since at least January 1.  Nearly 90 days.  

About three weeks ago I told people at the office was now WFH.  They asked when I would be back. I said August. They ain’t laughing now. 

Barring a medical breakthrough, August is optimistic. Chloroquine looks very promising, but we are already in supply issues, and people being prescribed it for chronic conditions like rheumatoid arthritis are getting their prescriptions rationed. 

I’m offering straight talk.  

6 hours ago, Mike E said:

Someone has to leave to get groceries. If there are quarantines that require people with no symptoms, exposure, or a positive or pending test to stay indoors then that would be really stupid. 

I tried using a grocery service today. It sucks: just 4 of 20 items could be fulfilled. 

Going to the grocery store once a week is barely something to do and I'm pretty sure ICE is not going to invade grocery stores any time soon. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Going to the grocery store once a week is barely something to do and I'm pretty sure ICE is not going to invade grocery stores any time soon. 

Per executive order, ICE isn’t going to permanently detain with non-criminal  illegal aliens during the corona  crisis.  That doesn’t mean cars won’t be stopped by local police during the crisis.  That doesn’t mean local police won’t refer illegal aliens in the stopped car to ICE (and you really aren’t going to make me dig up The Thread are you?). That doesn’t mean ICE won’t hold the illegal alien for several hours while they review criminal history. 

You two will nit pick  my advice to death, but it is sound.  It is sound because all you can do is nit pick it.  Good day. I am done with this thread and getting ready to add to my plonk list.   

Edited by Mike E

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As far as the OP is concerned California is a Sanctuary State, so any risk is well below minimal.

Many Police Forces have said they are ignoring what they consider minor Criminal issues so this?, well not impossible I suppose just very very close.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

11 hours ago, Mike E said:

I don’t know what “good number” means and I wish useless Such superlatives were stricken from English.

Well, they are part of English and have their purposes, so it's just something you'll have to deal with.

"Good number" meant a reasonable person - in most areas of the country - would have access to an office/court issuing marriage licenses. It might not be their home county, but likely something within a few hours of driving.

We also know that China has been using social distancing since at least January 1.  Nearly 90 days.

Your timeline is off. Or at the very least, it does not address the issue being discussed ITT.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/timeline-china-coronavirus-spread-200126061554884.html

Around January 22nd, at the soonest, is when China started taking similar measures to that of the US. Even then, the ability to obtain a marriage in most areas of the country was possible. The end of January is when the country as a whole really shut down.

By the start of March, most services were available to residents again.

How long they've been social distancing alone is not really the main factor here. It's how long their services were shut down and/or they were under lockdown and therefore unable to obtain them. That period is much shorter.

Edit: This is not to lighten the impact of COVID-19 in any way. I expect several months to year(s) of an altered way of life - at least until good treatments and/or a vaccine become available. But at the same time, life does go on and services will become available again once we get through the impending peak.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

On 3/19/2020 at 11:59 PM, NilsaNAnil said:

Orlando Florida. Orange County is suspending marriage licenses and court ceremonies 

If you can get your marriage license, in Florida a notary can marry you. 

On 3/20/2020 at 7:04 AM, SJ2020 said:

Hi all, not sure if I am posting in the correct place but I just arrived in the US on Sunday with a K1 visa and me and my fiance were planning on getting our marriage license this week and have a courthouse wedding on the weekend but due to the Corona Virus Scare none of the Southern California/Vegas counties issue them until further notice. I am really worried as I my 90 days started ticking and I hoped to get this done ASAP after my arrival. I was wondering if someone else is in the same situation or have any advice on what we can do?

Thank you very much in advance.

I'm exactly on the same boat as you here in New York. It seems like every country is closed. I've been really frustrated not to be able to get not only the marriage license but also SSN, bank account, driver license, work permit, etc. Please keep me updated if you find a way you figured out some open counties or any other ways. Apparently, there's a website that offers the marriage license online but you never know whether it will be a scam or not after letting them know all your personal information. Fingers crossed. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.