SJ2020

Counties not issuing Marriage Licences/Ceremonies due to COVID-19

65 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Olivia La said:

I'm exactly on the same boat as you here in New York. It seems like every country is closed. I've been really frustrated not to be able to get not only the marriage license but also SSN, bank account, driver license, work permit, etc. Please keep me updated if you find a way you figured out some open counties or any other ways. Apparently, there's a website that offers the marriage license online but you never know whether it will be a scam or not after letting them know all your personal information. Fingers crossed. 

Same here. Luckily my fiancé’s K1 visa expires in July and she’ll be here next week so we have plenty of time to sit around and wait...*fingers crossed* But It really sucks that she won’t be able to drive, work or open a bank account. If *knock on wood* she still hasn’t opened a bank account in two months, her cashier’s check from Hong Kong will expire and we gotta figure out another way to bring those money over here. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

California has the AB60.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
16 hours ago, Boiler said:

California has the AB60.

Doesn't matter; CA DMVs are currently appointment-only for services that require an in-person visit (like getting an initial driver's license or state ID), and no appointments are currently available.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

On 3/19/2020 at 3:04 PM, SJ2020 said:

Hi all, not sure if I am posting in the correct place but I just arrived in the US on Sunday with a K1 visa and me and my fiance were planning on getting our marriage license this week and have a courthouse wedding on the weekend but due to the Corona Virus Scare none of the Southern California/Vegas counties issue them until further notice. I am really worried as I my 90 days started ticking and I hoped to get this done ASAP after my arrival. I was wondering if someone else is in the same situation or have any advice on what we can do?

Thank you very much in advance.

Google Guadeloupe wedding chapel in Ontario ca or Los Angeles 

they have few locations 

On 3/19/2020 at 3:04 PM, SJ2020 said:

Hi all, not sure if I am posting in the correct place but I just arrived in the US on Sunday with a K1 visa and me and my fiance were planning on getting our marriage license this week and have a courthouse wedding on the weekend but due to the Corona Virus Scare none of the Southern California/Vegas counties issue them until further notice. I am really worried as I my 90 days started ticking and I hoped to get this done ASAP after my arrival. I was wondering if someone else is in the same situation or have any advice on what we can do?

Thank you very much in advance.

I went and got my marriage licence in Lake Havasu City in Arizona a couple days ago. LHC are providing marriage licences but they are not performing court weddings. I was advised to go to Bullhead or Kingman in Arizona to perform the ceremony and then return the marriage licence to LHC for processing. 

I hope this helps. 

The security guard at the court house told us there was many people coming in from California to do the same. 

I hope it works out for you.

On 3/19/2020 at 11:59 PM, NilsaNAnil said:

Orlando Florida. Orange County is suspending marriage licenses and court ceremonies 

I just found out, Lee County is still issuing marriage licenses. I guess if you become desperate and are willing to travel to get it. https://www.leeclerk.org/departments/recording-official-records/marriage-licenses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi guys updating the situation, the county send us an email to schedule our appointment 😁 apparently is only for the couple who already had an appointment, here is part of the mail.

Screenshot_20200327-103243_Gmail.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance and I are in the same boat right now too, also in Orange County, and had to cancel our former plans for getting married due to covid-19 shutdowns across California. We have less than 60 days left, so we're also getting anxious and are in the frame of mind that we'd rather be safely married sooner rather than later now. Has anyone had any luck with traveling to Kingman, Arizona to obtain a license and get married? After doing some researching, it seems to be that Arizona is our best bet right now, but I also see that Arizona requires two witnesses instead of just one, but I'm unable to find information as to whether the officiant can count as a witness or not. Does anyone who did it this way know one way or the other? Since we're traveling such a distance, we won't be able to bring our own witnesses with us.

Filed: Timeline
On 3/23/2020 at 9:27 PM, wooki314 said:

Same here. Luckily my fiancé’s K1 visa expires in July and she’ll be here next week so we have plenty of time to sit around and wait...*fingers crossed* But It really sucks that she won’t be able to drive, work or open a bank account. If *knock on wood* she still hasn’t opened a bank account in two months, her cashier’s check from Hong Kong will expire and we gotta figure out another way to bring those money over here. 

There are at least 14 national chain type banks that allow a foreigner to open a bank account with no SSN or GC/visa. Some require ITINS, some dont. Google open bank account no SSN and browse through some of the blog type articles on it. For banks that offer this you will most likely not be able to open the account online and will need to go to a branch. I would suggest calling the branch and speaking with a manager type person before making a trip there to avoid unnecessary travel. 

Filed: Timeline
20 minutes ago, Linzy.winzy said:

My fiance and I are in the same boat right now too, also in Orange County, and had to cancel our former plans for getting married due to covid-19 shutdowns across California. We have less than 60 days left, so we're also getting anxious and are in the frame of mind that we'd rather be safely married sooner rather than later now. Has anyone had any luck with traveling to Kingman, Arizona to obtain a license and get married? After doing some researching, it seems to be that Arizona is our best bet right now, but I also see that Arizona requires two witnesses instead of just one, but I'm unable to find information as to whether the officiant can count as a witness or not. Does anyone who did it this way know one way or the other? Since we're traveling such a distance, we won't be able to bring our own witnesses with us.

Typically the Officiant can not also be a witness because they need to sign the form as the officiant so they cant also sign as a witness. You can ask the clerk where you are planning on going if they offer witnesses for a fee- some places do that. If not you can try to use craigslist or facebook to find a local person there who has ID and would be willing to witness for a few bucks. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i saw this on the uscis webbsite, might be helpful info in the "Extensions and Changes of Status" section

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/special-situations

29 minutes ago, kumbaya said:

i saw this on the uscis webbsite, might be helpful info in the "Extensions and Changes of Status" section

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/special-situations

EOS and COS is not possible for K visa entrants.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

EOS and COS is not possible for K visa entrants.

Yeah I just read its only for departures

anyway, I would suggest if you need to get married contact your county legislators who will probably be able to contact a court clerk and they will probably be able to provide a method to get married by mail

we contacted a bunch of local legislators today and one got us permission from the clerk to send our application. another one said they will contact a senator on our behalf which will hopefully get some policy changes or work arounds in talks for everyone going through this

Edited by kumbaya

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

https://gazette.com/news/gov-polis-signs-order-to-allow-remotely-obtained-marriage-licenses/article_35e7ed74-7097-11ea-a4bf-4718f304dcfc.html

Colorado Gov. Jared Polis signed an order Thursday allowing for flexibility on the state's issuance of marriage licenses — the latest in a slew of executive orders to come out of the governor's office in the face of a rising pandemic.

The new order, in effect until April 25, allows county clerk and recorder's offices that are closed due to the coronavirus to issue marriage licenses remotely. In Colorado, marriage licenses are one of few documents mandated to be filled out in-person. 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

We were having the same issues in our state.  50 Counties and not a single one willing to do anything.  The only way we finally got something done was I was fortunate to have an ex colleague who is well connected in one county.  He called in some favors for me and we got our liscence issued through a window in the Courthouse.  Whatever it takes...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.