mandajoy98

Common sense OR Gamble for Wedding date?!?!?

43 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello Visa Journey,

My fiance and I applied for  K1 visa and are coming to a close with an interview at Sydney on Feb 5th. All this should be exciting but I am no where near excited because of all this wedding planning stress along with the Advance Parole. 

My fiance feels so confident that he will be in the states by Valentines Day and wants to get married on that exact day in the form of a small elopement ceremony and dinner afterwards. He wants to get married the moment he comes off the plane so we can apply for Adjustment of Status and Advanced Parole in order to make it to his sisters wedding in Australia by the end of June.

PROBLEM: Its VALENTINES Day (everywhere is probably booked) and its five days before my birthday (Feb19). Not to sound spoiled but I really prefer not to have valentines day an anniversary, and my birthday all in the same week for the rest of our married lives. 

Based on other timelines it doesnt look like Advance Parole isnt issued as fast as 2-3 months anymore, more like 5-6 months realistically. SO I suggested we get married on March 1st because I really dont think 2 weeks will make a difference on getting this AP approved. My fiance thought this idea absolutely stupid but I dont want to make all these plans and hes not here by Feb 14th. It is a gamble and I am not willing to plan a wedding on one of the most busiest days of the year for him not to be here by chance. Until he has a visa in his hands I dont want to make risky plans and claim a wedding date. March 1st seems more realistic but he thinks its insane because he believes those two weeks will make all the difference in getting his AP in time.

If anyone else has advice, please share down below.

Thank you

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

even IF he is here and you are married and file AOS immediately, it does not mean he will have his greencard by his sisters wedding. in all likelihood, he will not. We just got my husbands greencard last month. we filed in april and received it end of November, and that was with NO issues or RFE's or delays of any kind. 

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

I mean AP takes a while I don’t think you should make plans to make his sisters wedding when you apply in late February for AOS that’s only 4 months. Could be lucky but I would instead wait on coming on the K-1 visa if he wants to be sure he is there for the wedding. 

also don’t make any planning for the wedding unless you can get a refund or move the date because anything can go wrong. AP, missing documents, wrong info in the printed visa and so on. 

thats what I have tried to explain to him, but he believes that having hope and staying positive for this Feb 14th date and receiving AP in time for the wedding will happen, but its stressing me out because I am trying to go off of statistics and a more realistic approach on this whole situation.  And I highly doubt USCIS will grant us an emergency AP for a wedding, no offense to his sister. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
24 minutes ago, mandajoy98 said:

thats what I have tried to explain to him, but he believes that having hope and staying positive for this Feb 14th date and receiving AP in time for the wedding will happen, but its stressing me out because I am trying to go off of statistics and a more realistic approach on this whole situation.  And I highly doubt USCIS will grant us an emergency AP for a wedding, no offense to his sister. 

They will not give emergency AP for that.

Ask him what he will do if AP does not come in time for this wedding, will he be okay with not going? If not then delay the K-1 process

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

I'm totally with you on that and don't let him call you stupid for being realistic :D

Realistically speaking it takes up to 10 days to receive the passport with visa after the interview. That already puts you at February 15th and I think it will be hard to get married in his absence :) This calculation by the way is made assuming that the officer during the interview doesn't need any additional documents for approval. If that's the case he might want to get used to the idea to miss your birthday too.

I think you're totally on the right track here, you got this!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

K1 really did not seem the way to go, nobody can say for certain but AP in 4 months and booking last minute the flight cost?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Even if he did get to the US and be married by/on February 14 (and it's still a big IF since anything can happen at this point to delay things)...the chances of him getting the AP approved in time by June is still slim...mind you, he can leave the US once the AP is approved (he doesn't need the physical document in his hand but needs to have it approved before exiting the US), but even still that's cutting it close.

I understand he thinks it will all work out in the end perfectly as he's planned it, but he needs to remain realistic as well..  Perhaps better idea would be for him to delay arrival in the US until after his sister's wedding.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline

I agree with all the other posters here that are stating that if his sister's wedding is that important to him then he should delay the visa. As stated, his visa is good for 6 months after his medical. It still maybe cutting it close. These are things that he should have thought about before making the appointments for his medical and interview if he knew about ahead of time. 

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Timeline

Being born on my parents anniversary I can tell you it sucks. So go with March 1st tell him to suck it up. 

I also agree with the rest of the comments and he needs to start doing some research as he most likely will be missing his sister's wedding. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Don’t forget you need to apply for your marriage license and depending where you live could take a day or a few weeks so getting married right outta the plane may not even be viable. If he HAS to be at his sisters wedding then he should come after the wedding. There’s no guarantees and it doesn’t seem likely he would get AP by then. Yes he can stay all positive and hopeful but he will have to face reality if he doesn’t have AP by the end of June and can’t go to the wedding AND you are not happy with your wedding date. You don’t want to have resentment. Unfortunately, all of us in international relationships have to make sacrifices that are tough and usually result in one person in the relationship missing family milestones.

Edited by Luckycuds

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

This site is loaded with good folks who have made emotional decisions only to be disappointed by a system that grinds slow and fine.  That includes myself.  Why add more stress to your life.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.