Mindo2019

Worried! Bringing my mom here and affraid to get denied

111 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

that's a lot of people to support 

especially when IRS doesn't let you claim them

I think you best know if you can afford this and the cost of living in  Lansing 

Looking up online all i see is it would take $7,000 more to live in Detroit over Lansing

for me ,  it is hard to compare and i tried but i know when i moved south i got rid of big winter heating bills 

I do not claim my mom so that she can claim herself if she work :)

and no, I do not claim my siblings either because that is just so much hustle.

And yes! Detroit is a lot more expensive than Lansing! Grand Rapids also expensive but not as much as Detroit.

4/19/19: Sending Package to USCIS

5/8/19: NOA1 (USCIS received)

10/3/19: NOA2 (USCIS Approved)

10/10/19: Case sent to NVC

10/22/19: NVC received

11/14/19: Received invoice number and case number and pay AOS + IV bill

11/18/19: Completed DS-260

11/19/19: Submit AOS + IV package to NVC for review (hit the 7 months mark!)

11/21/19: All documents are accepted except tax transcripts. Re-upload it and now upload 1 year per document section.

01/22/20: Document Qualified. NVC send it over to embassy for obtaining interview date.

02/12/20: NVC completed the case. Now the status is in transit to US embassy (Jakarta-Indonesia)

03/05/20: Medical Exam

03/26/20: Interview date!💖 (canceled due to Covid-19 until further notice)

02/25/21: Embassy emailed that they resume IR5 visa

03/01/21: Another medical exam since the last one expired in September 2020

03/15/21: Interview date!🤩 Result: 221G because my mom forget the original doc for my dad's death decree + she needs to redone her photo

03/16/21: submit the necessary paperwork + photo

03/17/21: Status change to administrative processing

03/18/21: Status change to issued. Waiting for email from the embassy for pick up

03/20/21: VISA IS READY!

03/25/21: Fly to US

Timeline
3 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

you didn't tell us about the milliions of dollars of life insurance 

and what i say isn't meant to be a joke

it is a concern we all must face

and thanks for laughing 

really was just trying to help 

I did not mean to offend you. The threads are getting intense so I just try to ease up a bit. Ofc I do not have millions of dollars of life insurance. If I do have that, I will not put myself in the forum and just let my lawyers deal with it (again, ofc I do not have lawyer. This is just an if)

11/21/19: All documents are accepted except tax transcripts. Re-upload it and now upload 1 year per document section.

01/22/20: Document Qualified. NVC send it over to embassy for obtaining interview date.

02/12/20: NVC completed the case. Now the status is in transit to US embassy (Jakarta-Indonesia)

03/15/21: Interview date!🤩 Result: 221G because my mom forget the original doc for my dad's death decree + she needs to redone her photo

03/18/21: Status change to issued. Waiting for email from the embassy for pick up

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
19 minutes ago, sol_sol said:

For example they should announce 'Show this amount and you are in, otherwise you cannot enter'.

What amount would you suggest?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
30 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Anyway OP I’m not entirely sure why you came to ask advice when your story keeps changing to fit what you want to believe, so I’m going to bow out rather than go round in circles here. Good luck.

Me too

Timeline
5 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Me too

Wow..you guys dont have a sense of humor. But anyway, thank you to keep commenting on my post. Really appreciate it.

3 hours ago, IR5momandme said:

My mom is a retiree, she is 53 and housewife

This is nowhere near a normal retirement age in the US.  Best plan would be for her to work. 

42 minutes ago, IR5momandme said:

What I mean is when she is in the US. CO is not future teller to know when someone can get sick and possibly use all of the public assistance she can use. I think when they see the medical check up by embassy and find out that my mom healthy should be enough. No more future references.

That's not how that works.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
31 minutes ago, IR5momandme said:

I did not mean to offend you. The threads are getting intense so I just try to ease up a bit. Ofc I do not have millions of dollars of life insurance. If I do have that, I will not put myself in the forum and just let my lawyers deal with it (again, ofc I do not have lawyer. This is just an if)

I think the answers got intense because the subject of sponsoring anyone and going thru immigration is so serious

and there is not a Yes or No answer to your original question

we have all been thru or are going thru this 

there are some very experience Vj'ers with valuable information

and all should be read

all should be considered 

we have seen a petitioner bring a UK woman here on a K1 and then he passed away 

we have seen a few with cancer after going thru the process

health care and insurance are a major concern of all of us 

not a laughing matter 

to get honest answers ,  always be honest to those who respond 

you may not like what is said but it is said by those who have "seen it all" or experienced it themselves 

and they closely follow rule changes,  USCIS monthly stats and posts

and embassy quirks

To OP. I do not think its really helpful in a forum to ask about chances , no body knows what will happen at interview. I remember some months ago on this forum, a guy who was a doctor working in USA, he asked chances about his mom's approval. The same persons (@Boiler, @missileman  etc)were scaring him that even a doctor might not afford the healthcare of  his mom. I think it is useless to ask here. Just apply and see. Good luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Up to now the only people who could afford to retire in the US have been the wealthy and  the poor, basically the system effectively barred the people in the middle, now quite what the future will bring I do not know, but I know of no Country with any sort of benefit system that is comfortable taking on the elderly. And the issue is going to become more and more significant.

I'm a US citizen and we can't afford to retire in the US. We will be moving to France for 2 primary reasons: healthcare and housing costs.

OP, I don't know how you think you will be able to manage this financially with a growing family, aging mother, and siblings to support. You do know millions in life insurance are only good if you're dead right???

Good luck.

5 hours ago, Nat&Amy said:

The harsh reality is that a family with that income level could very easily need assistance if one of you loses their job. There is absolutely no guarantee that will never happen - no job comes with a lifelong clause attached to it, so obviously there is a concern. Health insurance, for one, is a huge cost, especially for an aging parent. 

You will see multiple stories of couples struggling to get by with a combined income that is similar to yours - all it takes is one health problem and things can go bad real quick. So yeah, you will have to plan your finances better without counting on "best case scenarios."

5 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Have you looked into the cost of medical insurance, deductibles etc for your mom? Your mom still has more than 10 years to go before a normal US retirement age, so if she wants she can actually work the 40 quarters to get her main Medicare benefit and social security... as it stands now she won’t.  Supporting people living in a foreign developing country costs way less than doing it here (I know from personal experience). While your current income is well above the guidelines, they are looking more seriously at “totality of circumstance” now. I’m not sure you can be totally reassured on a $90k income with a retiree in the household (and possibly more children at some stage).

6 hours ago, IR5momandme said:

Hi everyone,

With the new law I am super worried about my mom's approval. I am petitioner and we approved by USCIS on October 3rd. I make 26K/year, still in school but will make at least 40K/year when I graduate next year. Total with my husband we make like almost 90k/year for this year alone. We never under public assistant (food stamp, medicaid, social security, and so on). We only have 1 child. My mom is a retiree, she is 53 and housewife. I saw a post before that she got denied because the embassy worker concern about she will need public assistance as soon as she arrive in the US. Well for me, we make enough money to support my mom (noted that she also have 2 kids under the age of 17. We already support them from here as well) and I am very sure that she will not go under any public assistance when she gets here.

Could anyone reasure me that I do not have to be worried based on my income and situations?

Please help!!!

Firstly both you and your husband would need to provide affidavit of support that would then show that there is 90K around to support your mother. 90K is actually pretty substantial based on the guidelines as it''s more then 250% of the poverty line. Obviously though it's hard to say the bar being placed or to predict the future and it also comes down to a number of factors.

If you are supporting others like the other children this will affect your case. Your mothers current health will affect, ability to pay for health plan. Her ability to work and history of work will matter too. it's a very comprehensive set of things that are looked at, a number of factors.

All that said I'm no legal expert to say how a consular officer may assess the situation, but you certainly don't have a bad case to present here. This could go either way. For sure if your mother is uninsured and has a major medical issue the 90K a year would likely not cover that, but then again even making a $1 million a year in U.S you can still run bankrupt on medical expenses and so you would hope the assessment would have some level of reasonable review, but like I said hard to assess what a consular officer may or may not do, their ability to adjudicate the situation is pretty large scope. 

4 hours ago, sol_sol said:

Thats not right response. If that is the criteria then only families who earn half a million will be approved. If a family earns 90k, that means a take home of around 5500 per month. Even if they spend 1200 on their mom healthcare , here will be still 4300. And you can live comfortably over it in many parts of USA. 

Right and also based on the detailed post thats above 250% of poverty line so a positive factor, since I believe that can be considered part of household income

4 hours ago, Nat&Amy said:

Your answer made me laugh. Have you ever researched the cost of a convalescent home? Or the cost of private health insurance for anyone over the age of 50?

When you do, come back and tell me if the government should or should not be worried that a foreign parent will become a public charge, especially when a household income is less than $100k.

I don't think your worst case view is off or wrong, I just don't think even under current more narrow guidance thats what the consular offices are taking into account. Should they maybe / maybe not, open question. Are they taking things this far into consideration possibly, but I don't think they are being that restrictive (I could be wrong).

As the detailed guidance post has mentioned they take into account:

Age between 18-61 is a positive 

Health: Current health issues, they can't predict future health issues they can only predict based on current health concerns, so if the OP's mother doesn't have any current health concerns or current conditions that can cause future trouble they don't generally try to predict what the future conditions she might get, everyone entering will get old and have health conditions.

Household income, sure 90K is not a fortune but it is above 250% of poverty line which is the guidance for having a large positive factor.

Of course there are negative factors here too, I'm just trying to put things into perspective between worst case scenarios and what consular officers are generally looking for (of course their view for public charge is very subjective and can never be determined fully, but based on provided guidance OPs case is not aweful).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.