Mindo2019

Worried! Bringing my mom here and affraid to get denied

111 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hi everyone,

With the new law I am super worried about my mom's approval. I am petitioner and we approved by USCIS on October 3rd. I make 26K/year, still in school but will make at least 40K/year when I graduate next year. Total with my husband we make like almost 90k/year for this year alone. We never under public assistant (food stamp, medicaid, social security, and so on). We only have 1 child. My mom is a retiree, she is 53 and housewife. I saw a post before that she got denied because the embassy worker concern about she will need public assistance as soon as she arrive in the US. Well for me, we make enough money to support my mom (noted that she also have 2 kids under the age of 17. We already support them from here as well) and I am very sure that she will not go under any public assistance when she gets here.

Could anyone reasure me that I do not have to be worried based on my income and situations?

Please help!!!

4/19/19: Sending Package to USCIS

5/8/19: NOA1 (USCIS received)

10/3/19: NOA2 (USCIS Approved)

10/10/19: Case sent to NVC

10/22/19: NVC received

11/14/19: Received invoice number and case number and pay AOS + IV bill

11/18/19: Completed DS-260

11/19/19: Submit AOS + IV package to NVC for review (hit the 7 months mark!)

11/21/19: All documents are accepted except tax transcripts. Re-upload it and now upload 1 year per document section.

01/22/20: Document Qualified. NVC send it over to embassy for obtaining interview date.

02/12/20: NVC completed the case. Now the status is in transit to US embassy (Jakarta-Indonesia)

03/05/20: Medical Exam

03/26/20: Interview date!💖 (canceled due to Covid-19 until further notice)

02/25/21: Embassy emailed that they resume IR5 visa

03/01/21: Another medical exam since the last one expired in September 2020

03/15/21: Interview date!🤩 Result: 221G because my mom forget the original doc for my dad's death decree + she needs to redone her photo

03/16/21: submit the necessary paperwork + photo

03/17/21: Status change to administrative processing

03/18/21: Status change to issued. Waiting for email from the embassy for pick up

03/20/21: VISA IS READY!

03/25/21: Fly to US

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Are the 2 children immigrating to the US also?   Are you prepared to show you can provide for all her medical needs in the future?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, missileman said:

Are the 2 children immigrating to the US also?   Are you prepared to show you can provide for all her medical needs in the future?

Nope. I just petition her. Yes. I will pay for her health insurance premium here. If she decided to get a job then I guess she will get health insurance from the company. But for now, I am paying everything.

11/21/19: All documents are accepted except tax transcripts. Re-upload it and now upload 1 year per document section.

01/22/20: Document Qualified. NVC send it over to embassy for obtaining interview date.

02/12/20: NVC completed the case. Now the status is in transit to US embassy (Jakarta-Indonesia)

03/15/21: Interview date!🤩 Result: 221G because my mom forget the original doc for my dad's death decree + she needs to redone her photo

03/18/21: Status change to issued. Waiting for email from the embassy for pick up

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

The harsh reality is that a family with that income level could very easily need assistance if one of you loses their job. There is absolutely no guarantee that will never happen - no job comes with a lifelong clause attached to it, so obviously there is a concern. Health insurance, for one, is a huge cost, especially for an aging parent. 

You will see multiple stories of couples struggling to get by with a combined income that is similar to yours - all it takes is one health problem and things can go bad real quick. So yeah, you will have to plan your finances better without counting on "best case scenarios."

26 minutes ago, IR5momandme said:

Hi everyone,

With the new law I am super worried about my mom's approval. I am petitioner and we approved by USCIS on October 3rd. I make 26K/year, still in school but will make at least 40K/year when I graduate next year. Total with my husband we make like almost 90k/year for this year alone. We never under public assistant (food stamp, medicaid, social security, and so on). We only have 1 child. My mom is a retiree, she is 53 and housewife. I saw a post before that she got denied because the embassy worker concern about she will need public assistance as soon as she arrive in the US. Well for me, we make enough money to support my mom (noted that she also have 2 kids under the age of 17. We already support them from here as well) and I am very sure that she will not go under any public assistance when she gets here.

Could anyone reasure me that I do not have to be worried based on my income and situations?

Please help!!!

Have you looked into the cost of medical insurance, deductibles etc for your mom? Your mom still has more than 10 years to go before a normal US retirement age, so if she wants she can actually work the 40 quarters to get her main Medicare benefit and social security... as it stands now she won’t.  Supporting people living in a foreign developing country costs way less than doing it here (I know from personal experience). While your current income is well above the guidelines, they are looking more seriously at “totality of circumstance” now. I’m not sure you can be totally reassured on a $90k income with a retiree in the household (and possibly more children at some stage).

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
1 minute ago, Nat&Amy said:

The harsh reality is that a family with that income level could very easily need assistance if one of you loses their job. There is absolutely no guarantee that will never happen - no job comes with a lifelong clause attached to it, so obviously there is a concern. Health insurance, for one, is a huge cost, especially for an aging parent. 

You will see multiple stories of couples struggling to get by with a combined income that is similar to yours - all it takes is one health problem and things can go bad real quick. So yeah, you will have to plan your finances better without counting on "best case scenarios."

Me and my husband already have everything plan. Well...hopefully things are goes as planned. I am so concern in how the CO look at the case nowadays. It seems like they denied a lot of people without any concrete reason....

Timeline
2 minutes ago, IR5momandme said:

It seems like they denied a lot of people without any concrete reason....

Examples?  I agree that there are some subjective denials.......but that is usually the case with pubic charge issues......no one can say, with certainty, that she won't become a public charge later..........good luck.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

Have you looked into the cost of medical insurance, deductibles etc? Your mom still has more than 10 years to go before a normal US retirement age, so if she wants she can actually work the 40 quarters to get her main Medicare benefit and social security... as it stands now she won’t.  Supporting people living in a foreign developing country costs way less than doing it here (I know from personal experience). While your current income is well above the guidelines, they are looking at “totality of circumstance” now. I’m not sure you can be totally reassured on a $90k income with a retiree in the household (and possibly more children at some stage).

you mean she will not get denied or there is a big chance she will get denied?

She is planning to get some job (retail job or daycare) so that she can support my siblings back in Indonesia. Regardless, I am still supporting them from here anyway so really the only thing she needs to worried about is herself if she wants to be greedy at any point.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, missileman said:

Examples?

This is just me reading a lot of post and I see a lot more people get denied than when I just entered the states. Under the 212(a)(4)(A) 

Timeline
1 minute ago, IR5momandme said:

you mean she will not get denied or there is a big chance she will get denied?

She is planning to get some job (retail job or daycare) so that she can support my siblings back in Indonesia. Regardless, I am still supporting them from here anyway so really the only thing she needs to worried about is herself if she wants to be greedy at any point.

Those jobs typically don't have health care benefits.....I think the 2 siblings is an issue which will be looked at, too.

Timeline
Just now, missileman said:

Those jobs typically don't have health care benefits.....I think the 2 siblings is an issue which will be looked at, too.

It depends where you work I guess. Place where I work let the part-timer to get health insurance through them but the employee has to pay their own premium. 

My two siblings in Indoensia...I agree...I wish there is a way I can show the CO that I also take care of them financially :(

5 minutes ago, IR5momandme said:

Me and my husband already have everything plan. Well...hopefully things are goes as planned. I am so concern in how the CO look at the case nowadays. It seems like they denied a lot of people without any concrete reason....

Just now, IR5momandme said:

This is just me reading a lot of post and I see a lot more people get denied than when I just entered the states. Under the 212(a)(4)(A) 

Just because you see more people denied doesn’t mean it is “no concrete reason”. Just the cost of healthcare for the elderly compared to the poverty guidelines is often concrete enough. 

I would suggest as part of the plan you have a detailed part that shows you have investigated medical costs and how you’ll pay for them.

6 minutes ago, IR5momandme said:

How is wanting to support herself being greedy? What a strange thing to say.

4 minutes ago, IR5momandme said:

It depends where you work I guess. Place where I work let the part-timer to get health insurance through them but the employee has to pay their own premium. 

My two siblings in Indoensia...I agree...I wish there is a way I can show the CO that I also take care of them financially :(

You send them money? You can have proof of that.  In my opinion it makes your whole case weaker as it shows you have to still send money overseas when your mom arrives and that your mom hasn’t even been able to take financial care of her children in her home country which will make them more worried about her ability to support herself here. 

By the way, how is her English? If she wants to work in retail it will need to be pretty fluent. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

Just because you see more people denied doesn’t mean it is “no concrete reason”. Just the cost of healthcare for the elderly compared to the poverty guidelines is often concrete enough. 

I would suggest as part of the plan you have a detailed part that shows you have investigated medical costs and how you’ll pay for them.

How is wanting to support herself being greedy? What a strange thing to say.

I guess it is my culture. I raised with the thought that think about yourself and not others is something that I should never do. This is also why I still financially support my siblings. My mom used to say that not share and help your siblings to be a better person is greedy. So I am just using my own words :) 

Well I guess I have to think for the best when she goes for her interview. Hopefully if she gets denied there is appealing process.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, IR5momandme said:

But doing so, will decrease available support for your Mom.  I also think that weakens your case....just my opinion.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.